Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Browns waive Manziel (and other Browns related stuff--MET)

MassSkinsFan

As I just mentioned in the Doctson thread, he likely checked into a rehab center, as he knew he was about to fail yet another drug test. He probably did this to avoid a lifetime ban from the NFL.

The guy is one of the biggest idiots in the history of sports. I hate to imagine how many millions the guy has squandered away.

Edited by Ray-Ban Dan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

As I just mentioned in the Doctson thread, he likely checked into a rehab center, as he knew he was about to fail yet another drug test. He probably did this to avoid a lifetime ban from the NFL.

The guy is one of the biggest idiots in the history of sports. I hate to imagine how many millions the guy has squandered away.

He checked into rehab because he just had a child. He wants to make sure that he's a better person and can provide for his newborn. He's definitely made some mistakes but calling someone an idiot for doing everything in his own power to become a better person says a lot about you. 

3 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

He checked into rehab because he just had a child. He wants to make sure that he's a better person and can provide for his newborn. He's definitely made some mistakes but calling someone an idiot for doing everything in his own power to become a better person says a lot about you. 

First off, that isn't why he checked into rehab. Like I said, he's likely doing so to avoid testing positive for another drug test. Not sure if you know this, but lots of players in the past have failed to show up for tests. It's the same thing here. They already know the outcome. And another failed test would likely be the final straw of his NFL career.

I was calling him an idiot, because he IS one. Who squanders MILLIONS of dollars, all because they can't lay off WEED!! Do you know how ridiculously stupid that is?! And having a child, and continuing to screw up, makes him even MORE of an idiot. Sorry if that offends you. But I call things the way I see them. I would do the same, even if he played for the Redskins.

Edited by Ray-Ban Dan
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

He checked into rehab because he just had a child.

Oh yeah, that's very common.  A couple years ago when my sister had her first child, her husband checked into rehab.  No, he's not a user -- he just needed to get out of the house.

Come to think of it, he hasn't been back since.  Should we go look for him?

2 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Is it possible to spend millions of dollars on weed? Asking for a friend...

Haven't tried it yet. Might have to do that sometime...? 

I think what he meant though is that he's squandered an opportunity to make millions of dollars playing in the NFL, because he can't lay off the weed.

21 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Haven't tried it yet. Might have to do that sometime...? 

I think what he meant though is that he's squandered an opportunity to make millions of dollars playing in the NFL, because he can't lay off the weed.

<pffffffft> huh?

Oh yeah... I get it now! :)

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he suffers from depression. The people I know who are addicted to weed all use it to self-medicate their depression.

Most drug/alcohol addiction is a dual-diagnoses scenario (mental health problem). That's a fact. Now some might think it's a "chicken or the egg" scenario, in my opinion in the large majority of such cases the addiction is the resulting symptom of that other diagnoses, whatever it may be. So yes, self medicating 

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
  • Like 1

It's early but does Cleveland have a shot at 0-16 (or 0-20, given that they lost all their preseason games too)?  Given their level of dysfunction, there aren't that many games left in which they've got a real shot.  I can't understand why people go to those games - it really is a factory of sadness.  There's really no hope for that team in the foreseeable future. 

Vanity Fair article

Vanity Fair: THE FIGHT TO SAVE JOHNNY MANZIEL FROM ALL-OUT SELF-DESTRUCTION  

The Manziels questioned Fitch about the extent of the problem at the house Johnny and Brant shared on Pershing Avenue. Fitch, whose father was a drug therapist, told them what he knew. According to people familiar with the details, marijuana was in regular use at the house, as was the prescription tranquilizer Xanax, a popular party drug often ground up, snorted, and chased with alcohol; MDMA, known as “Molly,” a form of Ecstasy; and, occasionally, cocaine. Some in the family came to blame Johnny’s introduction to drugs on Brant, whose Twitter feed is sprinkled with references to Xanax. I asked Brant about his drug use. “I don’t deny it,” he said. “But it’s not like this was some kind of Amy Winehouse scene.”

Was it fair, I asked, to say he seldom declined Xanax or Molly if offered? Brant responded with a grin: “That’s a fair way to put it.”

The person whose warnings could be seen and heard by others—often and loudly—was [college buddy] "Uncle" Nate Fitch. According to two of Fitch’s friends, the turning point came when Fitch’s father, the drug therapist, sat his son down and told him that by “protecting” Johnny at bars and clubs he wasn’t actually helping him. He was enabling him. After that, friends say, Uncle Nate began openly confronting Manziel.

“Nate told him, ‘Look what you’re doing—Tom Brady doesn’t do this stuff,’ ” says someone who heard him. “ ‘Brett Favre doesn’t do this. Joe Montana doesn’t do this. I don’t know any N.F.L. quarterbacks who do. Oh wait, Ryan Leaf did. You’re my best friend, and I love you. One day you’ll thank me.’ ”

Once it became clear Johnny had no intention of cutting back his partying, friends say, Fitch told the Manziels what his father had taught him. He said Johnny was “sick” and informally diagnosed him with “substance-abuse disorder [S.A.D.].” With the disorder, Fitch warned the family, a person will give up almost anything, even something they love—in this case football—rather than stop using drugs.

<full story at link>

Ouch! :hitfan:

Xanax is a beast. Essentially blackout-levels alcohol in pill form. Withdrawals are a panic-inducing mind**** often coupled with seizures. Doctor's really need to start checking themselves on writing scripts for it. It's popping up more and more and more. And it gets real dangerous when you start combining it with other things, whether alcohol, heroin or something else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ESTRANGED WIFE WANTS QB TO PAY FOR HER LAWYERS

Robert Griffin III recently filed for a divorce from his wife, and all indications are that the split is not an amicable one.

According to a report from TMZ, Rebecca Liddicoat is asking a judge to order RG3 to pay her legal fees. Griffin was the one who decided to file, and Liddicoat says she has hired attorneys in response to make sure she gets a fair share of the marital assets and so the custody arrangement for the couple’s 1-year-old daughter is taken care of properly.

Liddicoat claims she was completely blindsided by the divorce, and real estate records indicated she and RG3 bought a house together just six months ago. However, Griffin says the two were separated and had been having problems for a long time.

As we know, RG3 is now dating a Florida State track and field athlete, and he has not been shy about parading his new girlfriend around in public. You can see an example of the blatant PDA here. It’s hardly a surprise that Liddicoat seems bitter.

• 1 month later...

Well, bump. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/12/rg3_sounds_like_hes_starting_v.html

I don't like the guy but think he deserves another start or two, just based on how bad the other QBs have been for the Browns this season.

On the other hand, they need to look carefully at his contract before putting him back out there -- if he suffers another major injury in these last four weeks, will they automatically be on the hook for his 2017 money?

Ya gotta feel terrible for this guy.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18212872/cleveland-browns-joe-thomas-9684-straight-shifts-factory-sadness

Did anyone notice what Thomas did? Down there in that mess, he played his 9,500th straight snap. He's never sat out one single play, according to the Browns. It's a stunning stat, especially when you consider that Thomas, arguably the NFL's best left tackle, has spent his entire career in Cleveland, a place in which there is generally nothing to play for by December. The things Thomas has seen in 10 seasons would make your chinstrap curl: Johnny Manziel's off-the-wagon spiral, the Rob Chudzinski experiment (all 12 months of it), the winter wearing-of-the-paper-bags ritual. Through it all, the one true thing that has endured is Thomas, whose streak (now at 9,684) has survived six head coaches and 18 starting quarterbacks.

Soon, Thomas could be playing through the saddest footnote of all: 0-16.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Hmmm. Just a matter of time before someone over in the "Trade Trent Williams" thread starts suggesting we trade him for this guy... <sigh>

I wouldn't trade Williams for him,but I'm sure we could find room on the OL for both of them. :)

On 12/6/2016 at 11:13 PM, Tsailand said:

Well, bump. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/12/rg3_sounds_like_hes_starting_v.html

I don't like the guy but think he deserves another start or two, just based on how bad the other QBs have been for the Browns this season.

On the other hand, they need to look carefully at his contract before putting him back out there -- if he suffers another major injury in these last four weeks, will they automatically be on the hook for his 2017 money?

Isn't he the only healthy QB?

Good luck to him.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Isn't he the only healthy QB?

Good luck to him.  

I believe so....and if I was him, with his injury history, and the Browns having issues keeping a QB healthy, I wouldn't go out on the field in anything less then a suit of armour with a titanium exoskeleton.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Only RG3 would WANT to suit up and play for the 0-12 Browns.  Can't save him from himself.

I honestly don't blame him. He wants to prove himself. I'd probably do the same thing. He knows he has ALOT to prove to people