Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:
  Hide contents

It thought it was blatantly obvious as to why Reva wants to kill Luke: Anakin killed kids and Reva's friends. She's going to return the favor.

Obi Wan didn't start to manhandle Vader until he crushed his chest respirator. I'd imagine it's hard to use the Force if you can't breathe.

Spoiler

It’s blatantly obvious why she would travel across the galaxy to a remote planet to kill a boy that at the point all she knows at best is that it’s someone Vader doesn’t know about? So that’ll sure show him, killing someone he doesn’t even know exists.

If you wanted to tell me she went there to use Luke as a bargaining chip to get close to Vader again, that would be one thing but she is trying to kill someone she doesn’t know has any connection to Vader and Vader doesn’t know exists at all, to get back at him? 

30 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Reveal hidden contents

It’s blatantly obvious why she would travel across the galaxy to a remote planet to kill a boy that at the point all she knows at best is that it’s someone Vader doesn’t know about? So that’ll sure show him, killing someone he doesn’t even know exists.

If you wanted to tell me she went there to use Luke as a bargaining chip to get close to Vader again, that would be one thing but she is trying to kill someone she doesn’t know has any connection to Vader and Vader doesn’t know exists at all, to get back at him? 

Spoiler

Oh right, right, right. Killing a someone's child is only a big deal under certain circumstances.

"Hey Vader, here's your dead son's body."

"Pfft. I didn't even know I had a son, so no biggie."

My thoughts:

Until the finale, I was feeling like it was just okay. Feeling like it was an okay story but one that kind of messed with my preferred vision of the events that set up A New Hope. It felt like the whole Jedi underground railroad thing was undermining the idea that only two Jedi are still left, and also felt like it undermined the really powerful themes built by Rogue One and the the sequels (that it's the ordinary people in the trenches every day that win wars, not the celebrity heroes). But I also felt like it did some stuff great, like show the impetus for Lea to become the badass Princess/General she grows in to. 

The finale though, the finale dramatically elevated things for me. It was really, really good. The scene we're all talking about is some of the best written dialogue in Star Wars, and the artistic vision is, while not exactly subtle, beautiful. The kind of stuff that gives you chills. 

What I'd have done differently/what I wish had happened:

+ Obi-Wan, after desperately trying to contact Qui-gon all series, finally decided he's not getting help and resolutely utters the same line he did: "I have to end this. One way or another, it ends now."

+ And finally in that moment, Qui-gon responds: "Only a sith deals in absolutes. To the Jedi, there is always a other way."

+ Then the duel plays out almost entirely the same, except with the pre established idea that Obi-wan isn't there to kill Vader, just to buy them time. That way, it's a little less jarring when he not only wins, but has a chance to end everything but doesn't. Maybe you shoot it in such a way that a chasm erupts of reinforcements arrive or a pillar collapses and separates them. Obi-Wan wins, but he doesn't have the chance to go for the kill because he wasn't trying to in the first place. And Vader is once again defeated primarily because he was blinded by a need to win instead of seeing the big picture. 

• Like 1

• Riggo#44 changed the title to All Things Star Wars Thread: SPOILER WARNING!
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm really unsure of where they'd go with Season 2, but at this point they have earned the benefit of the doubt

They just need one or two episodes where Obi-wan goes somewhere and runs into some evil force that magically ages him about ten to fifteen years. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

They just need one or two episodes where Obi-wan goes somewhere and runs into some evil force that magically ages him about ten to fifteen years. 

It's funny. Ewan McGregor is 51 right now. Alec Guinness was 62 in ANH, in 1977. ANH is set 9 or so years after the events of the Obi Wan series, so the age thing isn't a big stretch.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's funny. Ewan McGregor is 51 right now. Alec Guinness was 62 in ANH, in 1977. ANH is set 9 or so years after the events of the Obi Wan series, so the age thing isn't a big stretch.

Yeah I see this joke getting repeated a lot but I think a lot of folks have a very skewed perception of what Alex Guinness actually looked like. I mean, he looks older than Ewan obviously, and 60 in the 1980s ain't the same as 60 now, but I never thought Alex looked ancient or anything. He looks like a dude who's old enough to be a grandpa, and who may be hitting retirement age, but he doesn't look like he belongs in a nursing home or anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

his hair should have turned white from that ass kicking Vader gave him in episode 3. Or at least started to turn white the following episode. Would have driven home how horrifying that experience would have been 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

So Ewan is the same age as Alec Guinness would have been at this time in the timeline.  

so, in 9 years ream would look like Alec.  Right? Right? 

7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

his hair should have turned white from that ass kicking Vader gave him in episode 3. Or at least started to turn white the following episode. Would have driven home how horrifying that experience would have been 

It’s 9 years.  A guy can go grey from 50 to 60.

Hell, for all we know Ewan is grey right now naturally but they wanted to get Mal’s engine revving so they kept him not grey.

So, I've listened to a bunch of podcasts, and I think I what the show failed at when Vader was left alive is they needed to better show and explain that Obi-Wan just could not kill what remained of his friend, period.  

Originally, I thought they needed to find any other way to get Obi-Wan out of there than what they did.  An sudden meteor shower.  Palpy showing up.  Storm troopers.  Whatever.  

But then I got to thinking, well, if it was just "bad luck" that Obi-Wan couldn't kill Vader, and he was willing to, and had defeated him in battle (twice now), why wouldn't he make it his mission to try again?  I mean, if he has decided Vader is no longer Anakin, he's back at the peak of his powers, why sit and watch Luke and train him to face Vader when he couldn't just do it himself?

And the only thing I could come up with is, he just couldn't do it.  Twice.  Ok, fine.  If we're going to go with that as an Obi-Wan character flaw (that literally cost millions of people their lives), then ok.  Obi-Wan is a complex character, if his compassion and feelings don't let him kill Vader, that's fine.

But then the show stepped on it's wank. They needed at least a few lines from Obi-Wan where he struggles with the decision.  The trouble with THAT is you have to be careful with "A certain Point of View" line, where Obi-Wan says Vader is more machine than man, twisted and evil.  

So, I'm not sure how they really could have pulled it off, because it's like 4 needles they would have to thread all at once.  

Now, having said that, the prequels brought up an issue in and of themselves.  Obi-Wan let Vader live on Mustafar.  Without this show, the next time we hear from Obi-Wan is in ANH.  And by that point he knows Vader is alive.  He has chosen not to go after Vader (which he could have done if he wanted to.)  So there IS an inherent issue just with the end of Sith and the beginning of ANH.  

How did Obi-Wan find out Anakin/Vader was alive?  Why didn't he go after Vader?  Why didn't Vader go after Obi-Wan (in a more direct What happened for Obi-Wan to determine Vader was "more machine than man, twisted and evil?"  

I think these were some of the questions the show was trying to answer, and there IS a story there.  

Overall, I think they did it really, really well, and I really, really enjoyed the show.  Literally the only thing which I have a significant issue with is that one scene.  

I think my criticism is aligned with Ben Lindbergh said on the Ringerverse: House of R (working title) podcast: They went into the show KNOWING this was the climactic moment and everything was building towards THIS moment.  They needed to have a better plan for it, since it was the apex of the entire series, and a lynch pin in the entire Obi-Wan/Skywalker story arc. The fact that it was fairly clunky is a huge unforced error.  But they had to work that out better than they did.  

I also think there are fans which are getting "Volume" fatigue.  I don't know why, but the effects in Mando looked better than the effects in Obi-Wan.  And, I believe, on a per episode basis, Obi-Wan had a bigger budget.  Now granted, Mr. Ewan McGreggor probably ate up a bunch of that.  But still.  Apparently they announced none of the first season of Andor was filmed in "the volume."  I don't know if that's going to make it better or not, but it is notable, so I noted it.  

@Momma There Goes That Man, completely unrelated question: on the "Midnight Boys" they play something (and I can't really tell what they are saying, maybe "stop the " when somebody says something completely weird and they want to yell at them.  Do you have any idea what this is all about?  I imagine it has something to do with Marvel, and I don't marvel, but what the hell are they saying and why?  Any idea?  (I think you mentioned you'd listened to them before, which is why I'm asking...)

Question for those who follow all the news on the shows.  When Obi-Wan was announced did they start dropping info that it was going to involve so many legacy characters and be a part of the Skywalker lore?  I'll admit, while I did find some of the Darth Vader confrontation stuff cool, I was sort of hoping for more of a "this is what Obi-Wan was doing all these years while in hiding" kind of show, perhaps random adventures and mishaps around the galaxy, really kind of separate him from the main storyline of the saga for the show. I thought the show was decent, even good at times, but it also just seemed sort of stuck covering ground that's already been covered over and over.

So ya think Darth Vader goes down to that water temple base to visit his enemies what are sealed in the amber? 

Muammar Gaddafi usta keep his dead adversaries frozen in a meat locker. He'd apparently visit and talk to them.

My first thought was whoever wrote that script musta seen that Gaddafi documentary. 🤔