Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

Just watched Part IV

Spoiler

General Thoughts:

- It was the shortest of the episodes and pretty significantly so. All-in run times (including "previously on, intro and credits" for the episodes were 55, 41 47 and 38. So, it was about 30 minutes of actual episode, and to me it pretty much FLEW by.   

- I'm sure I should know the character at the base helping Obi-Wan and Tallah, but I didn't know who that was off the top of my head.

- The really quick shot I think I enjoyed most the entire episode was Obi-Wan trying to move the little object using the force.  Very minor, and you can miss it in a second, but I loved the shot and what it meant.

- My second favorite scene was the cutting back and forth between Vader and Obi-Wan in the bacta tanks.  With the interspersed memories, I think from both.  That was really, really well done.  

- I was waiting for the line, "our escape was too easy. They're tracking us."  BUT I love the fact that this scene sets up why Leia might feel the same way in ANH.  (As an aside, I know there is a lot of angst amongst some fans about the retconning, and how the story diminishes in some way ANH.  I think this little detail, and several others, enhance it.  Maybe the two offset in the end?)I

- I love the fact they modified James Earl Jones' voice back to original Vader.  I don't know how they did it, I've heard two theories:  JEJ recorded the lines, they ran it through the voice modification software, and it altered it, which is the leader in the clubhouse, or Hayden Christensen recorded the lines, and they put JEJ's voice on top of it.  

The line (paraphrased) "I have underestimated you" was just perfectly original Vader.  

- I was truly hoping for a light saber battle between Reva and Obi-Wan, which I'm pretty sure we're going to get.  But it didn't happen.  

- The true "wait, what now?" thing in the episode which didn't work for me at all is the two "rebellion" fighters could get that close to "Pyramid Inquisitor" and lay down fire without having one of the hundred Tie Fighters which are hanging from the ceiling being deployed.  I mean, we had radar for WWII.  They don't have basic radar?  They wouldn't have seen those two buckets of bolts coming from a million miles (literally, with space scanners?) away?   And had some friends out there to meet them? That was the weakest part of the episode for me. Clearly they needed something to save our heros, but I thought this "swoop in at the last minute and swoop away" thing was actually kindof "lazy." Unless you fully buy into Reva just allowing them to leave.  But I dunno, I don't think she did.  I do think she had a backup plan.  But I don't think she just allowed them to leave.

- 5th Brother is an annoying git.

- One continuity thing they HAVE to clear up is the Grand Inquisitor has to somehow come back.  Because he's a big part of Rebels, and that hasn't happened yet in the timeline.  I'm ok with a few little conversations being altered here and there.  They can't kill a character which appears in a different series, that would be really, really bad.  

- I'm ready for full-powered Obi-Wan back.  I'm good with the journey from the lowest of the low back to the light.  But I'm ready for him to be full power again and he needs to get there soon. 

- In the movies, have we ever seen Vader walk as fast as he did as he charged Reva?  I don't think so.  He has always had an extremely deliberate, slow, menacing approach. Like, "I don't have to run.  I can get just walk and that's good enough."  If his enemy runs away, he just somehow appears in front of them with no effort.  Even during fights.  But in this scene he just charged in and force choked Reva up into the air.  He must have been really irked.  (This, btw, brings up the question, why did he absolutely let Obi-Wan escape in the last episode?  My theory was he was playing with his food.  It kindof still is.  But he seemed more angry about losing him than you would think if he thought he could just find him any time he wanted.  Conversely, Vader might not really need a reason to force choke people into the sky and kill them, and this was just kindof par for the course.  He is a little unstable...)

Overall, this was probably my least favorite episode, and it felt very much like the set-up episode for the last 2 episodes. This has kindof been the trend for the Mandalorian.  And yeah, I know it's a different group running this show, but there are some parallels.   I still enjoyed it.  But not as much as the first 3.

I did go back and just check out the Mandalorian run-times.  The third to the last episode was the shortest in season 2, and shorter than the final 2 episodes in season 1.  

I think we're going to get longer episodes, and I wonder if we might get a final episode which tips in at 1:00.  

They're building to something.  They need to settle the Grand Inquisitor thing (not really for this show, but for Rebels), they need to get Leia back to Aldaraan, Obi-Wan has to continue his recovery, and we need to get the pieces set back in a way they are ready for ANH.  (Granted, there are rumors of a second season, but they didn't know that when they filmed this season, so they would have to wrap everything up in a way that made sense for there to be nothing new for this plot line going into ANH. 

Clearly we're going to get some type of a fight between Vader and Obi-Wan, since they are being tracked.  I need a full strength Obi-Wan for that.  

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Just watched Part IV

Hide contents

General Thoughts:

- It was the shortest of the episodes and pretty significantly so. All-in run times (including "previously on, intro and credits" for the episodes were 55, 41 47 and 38. So, it was about 30 minutes of actual episode, and to me it pretty much FLEW by.   

- I'm sure I should know the character at the base helping Obi-Wan and Tallah, but I didn't know who that was off the top of my head.

- The really quick shot I think I enjoyed most the entire episode was Obi-Wan trying to move the little object using the force.  Very minor, and you can miss it in a second, but I loved the shot and what it meant.

- My second favorite scene was the cutting back and forth between Vader and Obi-Wan in the bacta tanks.  With the interspersed memories, I think from both.  That was really, really well done.  

- I was waiting for the line, "our escape was too easy. They're tracking us."  BUT I love the fact that this scene sets up why Leia might feel the same way in ANH.  (As an aside, I know there is a lot of angst amongst some fans about the retconning, and how the story diminishes in some way ANH.  I think this little detail, and several others, enhance it.  Maybe the two offset in the end?)I

- I love the fact they modified James Earl Jones' voice back to original Vader.  I don't know how they did it, I've heard two theories:  JEJ recorded the lines, they ran it through the voice modification software, and it altered it, which is the leader in the clubhouse, or Hayden Christensen recorded the lines, and they put JEJ's voice on top of it.  

The line (paraphrased) "I have underestimated you" was just perfectly original Vader.  

- I was truly hoping for a light saber battle between Reva and Obi-Wan, which I'm pretty sure we're going to get.  But it didn't happen.  

- The true "wait, what now?" thing in the episode which didn't work for me at all is the two "rebellion" fighters could get that close to "Pyramid Inquisitor" and lay down fire without having one of the hundred Tie Fighters which are hanging from the ceiling being deployed.  I mean, we had radar for WWII.  They don't have basic radar?  They wouldn't have seen those two buckets of bolts coming from a million miles (literally, with space scanners?) away?   And had some friends out there to meet them? That was the weakest part of the episode for me. Clearly they needed something to save our heros, but I thought this "swoop in at the last minute and swoop away" thing was actually kindof "lazy." Unless you fully buy into Reva just allowing them to leave.  But I dunno, I don't think she did.  I do think she had a backup plan.  But I don't think she just allowed them to leave.

- 5th Brother is an annoying git.

- One continuity thing they HAVE to clear up is the Grand Inquisitor has to somehow come back.  Because he's a big part of Rebels, and that hasn't happened yet in the timeline.  I'm ok with a few little conversations being altered here and there.  They can't kill a character which appears in a different series, that would be really, really bad.  

- I'm ready for full-powered Obi-Wan back.  I'm good with the journey from the lowest of the low back to the light.  But I'm ready for him to be full power again and he needs to get there soon. 

- In the movies, have we ever seen Vader walk as fast as he did as he charged Reva?  I don't think so.  He has always had an extremely deliberate, slow, menacing approach. Like, "I don't have to run.  I can get just walk and that's good enough."  If his enemy runs away, he just somehow appears in front of them with no effort.  Even during fights.  But in this scene he just charged in and force choked Reva up into the air.  He must have been really irked.  (This, btw, brings up the question, why did he absolutely let Obi-Wan escape in the last episode?  My theory was he was playing with his food.  It kindof still is.  But he seemed more angry about losing him than you would think if he thought he could just find him any time he wanted.  Conversely, Vader might not really need a reason to force choke people into the sky and kill them, and this was just kindof par for the course.  He is a little unstable...)

Overall, this was probably my least favorite episode, and it felt very much like the set-up episode for the last 2 episodes. This has kindof been the trend for the Mandalorian.  And yeah, I know it's a different group running this show, but there are some parallels.   I still enjoyed it.  But not as much as the first 3.

I did go back and just check out the Mandalorian run-times.  The third to the last episode was the shortest in season 2, and shorter than the final 2 episodes in season 1.  

I think we're going to get longer episodes, and I wonder if we might get a final episode which tips in at 1:00.  

They're building to something.  They need to settle the Grand Inquisitor thing (not really for this show, but for Rebels), they need to get Leia back to Aldaraan, Obi-Wan has to continue his recovery, and we need to get the pieces set back in a way they are ready for ANH.  (Granted, there are rumors of a second season, but they didn't know that when they filmed this season, so they would have to wrap everything up in a way that made sense for there to be nothing new for this plot line going into ANH. 

Clearly we're going to get some type of a fight between Vader and Obi-Wan, since they are being tracked.  I need a full strength Obi-Wan for that.  

Spoiler

this felt like an episode of the Mandalorian. I don’t need to see another rescue mission sneaking into an imperial base for a long long time. 

noticed Vader’s fast walk too which felt at odds with him clearly letting Obi Wan go in the last episode. 

the inquisitors are insanely incompetent. Why even have a base if you can legit just walk into it, raise your voice and get anywhere you need? 

Do we know any of the Jedi in the tomb? I didn’t recognize any but haven’t seen the prequels in a while 

Making it through the door without a drop of water getting through was silly 

felt like Obi Wan would take that ass kicking harder than he did. He rebounded quickly and his force connection has grown considerably in a short time. 

think Reva fails and might turn in an effort to save her life. Maybe I don’t know. I think the big finish will be her against Vader tho. Maybe they save that for season 2. 

really hope Obi Wan doesn’t turn into a superhero and beat Vader again. I could almost ignore the episode 3 encounter since it was more one side so Vader’s line in a ANH was in anticipation of a full battle with Obi wan. But if they make Obi Wan win again I mean that will just make Vader into a punk. Like it’s been 10 years you’ve been running the galaxy and effortlessly killing everyone and Obi Wan who could barely turn on his lightsaber ends up beating you over a week? That would be awful for Vader imo so I really hope they don’t do it 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Spoiler
10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this felt like an episode of the Mandalorian. I don’t need to see another rescue mission sneaking into an imperial base for a long long time. 

I mean, but that is literally Star Wars.

ANH: Death Star

Empire: Cloud City

Jedi: Another Death Star, also Endor

The entire plot of Clone Wars (the animated series) was they always had to go somewhere and get somebody out of some base.

I haven't seen the prequels in a while, but I think the trope still holds true.

Rebels, they were also always trying to get somebody from somewhere. 

Rogue One had multiple base inflitrations.  

It's one of the two big themes of Star Wars.  The other is there is always a battle above an endless hole and somebody will fall down it and not actually die.  

noticed Vader’s fast walk too which felt at odds with him clearly letting Obi Wan go in the last episode. 

Yeah, that was odd.  I've listed to a podcast or two and everybody seems to think it's kindof the "maddest" they have seen Vader on screen.  Which was fun.  But kindof odd.  

the inquisitors are insanely incompetent. Why even have a base if you can legit just walk into it, raise your voice and get anywhere you need? 

I don't remember them being extremely competent in Rebels either.  I haven't watched it in a minute, but a non-fully trained jedi and a kid escape from them over and over, and then Vader shows up to help.  (If I remember correctly.)

Do we know any of the Jedi in the tomb? I didn’t recognize any but haven’t seen the prequels in a while 

According to The Midnight Boys on the Ringerverse podcast, there was definitely one from Clone Wars.  I'm waiting for the "deep dive" with Mal and Joanna (and their team of researchers) where they will probably identify every episode, with a timestamp, where each of them appeared.  

Making it through the door without a drop of water getting through was silly 

I was so hoping he was going to use the force to direct the water AT the troops and then back out slowly. 

felt like Obi Wan would take that ass kicking harder than he did. He rebounded quickly and his force connection has grown considerably in a short time. 

The Bacta Tank helped. 

think Reva fails and might turn in an effort to save her life. Maybe I don’t know. I think the big finish will be her against Vader tho. Maybe they save that for season 2. 

From what we know, Season 2 wasn't greenlight before they finished filming, which means to me they had to wrap everything up in a way that made sense assuming no season 2. (That could be a lie.  But that's the reporting.)

really hope Obi Wan doesn’t turn into a superhero and beat Vader again. I could almost ignore the episode 3 encounter since it was more one side so Vader’s line in a ANH was in anticipation of a full battle with Obi wan. But if they make Obi Wan win again I mean that will just make Vader into a punk. Like it’s been 10 years you’ve been running the galaxy and effortlessly killing everyone and Obi Wan who could barely turn on his lightsaber ends up beating you over a week? That would be awful for Vader imo so I really hope they don’t do it 

I think there will be another duel.  However, I think it absolutely has to end in a "tie" in some way.  Neither can win.  Clearly Obi-Wan can't win, or Vader is gone, and not in ANH.  Vader can't win, or Obi-Wan is gone and not in ANH.  So, the best I can come up with is they duel but Obi-Wan's entire purpose is to stall and run away.

Which wouldn't make a lot of sense, unless he thinks he just can't beat Vader at this point, he's too powerful.  But THAT would basically kill the "Last time we met, I was but the learner, now I am the master" line.  

So it's got to be something else.  

Or maybe there is some prophecy we learn of, like in Harry Potter, where it HAS to be Luke (or I suppose reconned in, Leia), who takes down Anakin?

I've wondered if we might get a Yoda cameo at some point. I don't know if Obi-Wan knows where Yoda is, but it was his force ghost who told Luke to go to Degobah.  Obi-Wan goes to see Yoda, learns more about the training he is supposed to do, Yoda tells him some prophecy a la Dumbledore ...  I don't know how well that would go over, but maybe it answers why Obi-Wan can't just go after Vader himself now that he knows he's alive...

Put the whole response in a spoiler just in case somebody wanders in here and hasn't seen the episode yet.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:
  Hide contents

I mean, but that is literally Star Wars.

ANH: Death Star

Empire: Cloud City

Jedi: Another Death Star, also Endor

The entire plot of Clone Wars (the animated series) was they always had to go somewhere and get somebody out of some base.

I haven't seen the prequels in a while, but I think the trope still holds true.

Rebels, they were also always trying to get somebody from somewhere. 

Rogue One had multiple base inflitrations.  

It's one of the two big themes of Star Wars.  The other is there is always a battle above an endless hole and somebody will fall down it and not actually die.  

Yeah, that was odd.  I've listed to a podcast or two and everybody seems to think it's kindof the "maddest" they have seen Vader on screen.  Which was fun.  But kindof odd.  

I don't remember them being extremely competent in Rebels either.  I haven't watched it in a minute, but a non-fully trained jedi and a kid escape from them over and over, and then Vader shows up to help.  (If I remember correctly.)

According to The Midnight Boys on the Ringerverse podcast, there was definitely one from Clone Wars.  I'm waiting for the "deep dive" with Mal and Joanna (and their team of researchers) where they will probably identify every episode, with a timestamp, where each of them appeared.  

I was so hoping he was going to use the force to direct the water AT the troops and then back out slowly. 

The Bacta Tank helped. 

From what we know, Season 2 wasn't greenlight before they finished filming, which means to me they had to wrap everything up in a way that made sense assuming no season 2. (That could be a lie.  But that's the reporting.)

I think there will be another duel.  However, I think it absolutely has to end in a "tie" in some way.  Neither can win.  Clearly Obi-Wan can't win, or Vader is gone, and not in ANH.  Vader can't win, or Obi-Wan is gone and not in ANH.  So, the best I can come up with is they duel but Obi-Wan's entire purpose is to stall and run away.

Which wouldn't make a lot of sense, unless he thinks he just can't beat Vader at this point, he's too powerful.  But THAT would basically kill the "Last time we met, I was but the learner, now I am the master" line.  

So it's got to be something else.  

Or maybe there is some prophecy we learn of, like in Harry Potter, where it HAS to be Luke (or I suppose reconned in, Leia), who takes down Anakin?

I've wondered if we might get a Yoda cameo at some point. I don't know if Obi-Wan knows where Yoda is, but it was his force ghost who told Luke to go to Degobah.  Obi-Wan goes to see Yoda, learns more about the training he is supposed to do, Yoda tells him some prophecy a la Dumbledore ...  I don't know how well that would go over, but maybe it answers why Obi-Wan can't just go after Vader himself now that he knows he's alive...

Put the whole response in a spoiler just in case somebody wanders in here and hasn't seen the episode yet.  

Spoiler

I know and that’s why I don’t need to see one again lol it’s always some hokey way they get in with a disguise and a story etc it was fun the first few times but now, geez do something else. 

I was thinking and hoping he would do that with the water too. I imagine controlling water with the force is probably extremely difficult 

that’s why I think Reva will play into the ending Vader fight. Something is up with her. Kenobi prepares to fight Vader and she steps in and takes it so he can escape or he holds off just long enough until someone else gets there. Any scenario where Obi Wan even barely bests Vader (obviously without killing him) would be a crime imo and probably really make me hate the show. It’s just not logical that he would ever gain the upper hand on Vader following RotS, which is kind of a big part of their story. Like even if they barely ignite their sabers and somebody crashes an xwing into the battlefield between them and they can’t continue but maybe Vader views it as getting fooled would be better 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Tera Sinube was the goat like Jedi that Kenobi focused on first. He was a main focus in a Clone Wars episode "Lightsaber Lost". This is where Ahsoka lost had her lightsaber stolen and he helped her find it. I wonder if one of the lady jedi (force user) is the wife of Roken? To be honest, when Roken said the Empire took his wife, I immediately thought Reva, but I am most likely wrong on that. I also thought the youngling in the amber, though creepy, was a nice touch.

5 minutes ago, Yohan said:
  Hide contents

Tera Sinube was the goat like Jedi that Kenobi focused on first. He was a main focus in a Clone Wars episode "Lightsaber Lost". This is where Ahsoka lost had her lightsaber stolen and he helped her find it. I wonder if one of the lady jedi (force user) is the wife of Roken? To be honest, when Roken said the Empire took his wife, I immediately thought Reva, but I am most likely wrong on that. I also thought the youngling in the amber, though creepy, was a nice touch.

Spoiler

Thank you for the Tera Sinube reference.  I only watched Clone Wars once, I liked it, but it's a commitment.  And at times, a little uneven.  There were episodes I liked more than others.  I freely admit I don't remember that particular episode, though I might go back and watch it.  

I'm very interested to find out more about Reva's back story.  It would absolutely hold that Roken's wife could be in the tomb.  I also have all the questions about the existence of the tomb.  What is it for?  I can't imagine they are being respectful, and it's highly secured.  There has to be a reason, and the obvious one is cloning.  

I wonder if a story line we're going to get somewhere along the way is the Emperor is trying to clone a Sith army?  Or he's trying to perfect the cloning technique so he can return in Rise of Skywalker?  (God, I hope that's not it.)

I'm a little surprised we didn't see more Jedi we spent time with, though. Maybe it is only the ones the Inquisitors have tracked down, and not ones which were killed during order 66?  But that doesn't make a lot of sense for the cloning theory.  So, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:
  Hide contents

Thank you for the Tera Sinube reference.  I only watched Clone Wars once, I liked it, but it's a commitment.  And at times, a little uneven.  There were episodes I liked more than others.  I freely admit I don't remember that particular episode, though I might go back and watch it.  

I'm very interested to find out more about Reva's back story.  It would absolutely hold that Roken's wife could be in the tomb.  I also have all the questions about the existence of the tomb.  What is it for?  I can't imagine they are being respectful, and it's highly secured.  There has to be a reason, and the obvious one is cloning.  

I wonder if a story line we're going to get somewhere along the way is the Emperor is trying to clone a Sith army?  Or he's trying to perfect the cloning technique so he can return in Rise of Skywalker?  (God, I hope that's not it.)

I'm a little surprised we didn't see more Jedi we spent time with, though. Maybe it is only the ones the Inquisitors have tracked down, and not ones which were killed during order 66?  But that doesn't make a lot of sense for the cloning theory.  So, we'll see.

Spoiler

There was an episode of Rebels, season 1 I think, where Kanan and Ezra feel the presence of Jedi Master Luminara Unduli and she is in trouble. When they locate her in some fortress, she is already dead, in a tomb. The force still calls out after one passes, and she was being used as bait by the Grand Inquisitor to catch Jedis. The Tombs in Kenobi had the same vibes to me.

Though cheesy, I found the Leia in the Kenobi trench coat trick humorous. Who doesn't like a four legged, oddly shaped, old man just strutting past Imperials without notice.  As well as all three escaping in the backseat of the future snowspeeder. I liked it for some strange reason.

12 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hide contents

I know and that’s why I don’t need to see one again lol it’s always some hokey way they get in with a disguise and a story etc it was fun the first few times but now, geez do something else. 

I was thinking and hoping he would do that with the water too. I imagine controlling water with the force is probably extremely difficult 

that’s why I think Reva will play into the ending Vader fight. Something is up with her. Kenobi prepares to fight Vader and she steps in and takes it so he can escape or he holds off just long enough until someone else gets there. Any scenario where Obi Wan even barely bests Vader (obviously without killing him) would be a crime imo and probably really make me hate the show. It’s just not logical that he would ever gain the upper hand on Vader following RotS, which is kind of a big part of their story. Like even if they barely ignite their sabers and somebody crashes an xwing into the battlefield between them and they can’t continue but maybe Vader views it as getting fooled would be better 

That’s where I’m at. I just don’t see how you can have Vader lose “again” to Obi-Wan. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I know I said I was a Star Wars fan boy, inject it all straight into my veins, but I don't know about this.  The only way I can see this ending well is that everyone has to think that Kenobi is dead. We still haven'r seen Palps, we still don't know how the Grand Inquisitor is alive.

General Kenobi, years ago you fought aside my father... about a decade ago you rescued me...I am not sure if Leia ever saw him in ANH, but she was there when he died.  Obi-Wan Kenobi .. there's a name I haven't heard in a long time... a long, long time, well maybe abour 10 years ago.

I do love we all thought it was some adventure with Luke on Tatooine... 

I can see why people were saying "Don't do this!"  because to me it has messed up the continuity in ANH. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yohan said:
  Hide contents

There was an episode of Rebels, season 1 I think, where Kanan and Ezra feel the presence of Jedi Master Luminara Unduli and she is in trouble. When they locate her in some fortress, she is already dead, in a tomb. The force still calls out after one passes, and she was being used as bait by the Grand Inquisitor to catch Jedis. The Tombs in Kenobi had the same vibes to me.

Though cheesy, I found the Leia in the Kenobi trench coat trick humorous. Who doesn't like a four legged, oddly shaped, old man just strutting past Imperials without notice.  As well as all three escaping in the backseat of the future snowspeeder. I liked it for some strange reason.

Spoiler

I didn't like the trench coat thing.  For whatever reason.

I guess in theory it could be funny.  But I didn't find it so.

Though my biggest issue with that scene was the Path "fighters" showing up unincumbered.  How the hell could those 2 buckets of bolts get there without being spotted by some scanner?  I get the fortress doesn't have shields, and I can buy that explanation.  But not even having roving security deployments?  Scanners? That is the one part of the episode, more than any other, where I threw my hands in the air and said, what the hell.  Especially since they have made a big show of SHOWING the Tie Fighters.

Again, a nit pick. I still love the show.

** Unrelated to the above:

I think this is my favorite live-action Disney + Star Wars Show. The Mandalorian might be others favorites.  I just love spending time with characters I know.  Sue me.  

Though, in this episode more than any in Mando, Bobba or Obi-Wan, I think I noticed "The Volume."  The way they shot it.  Especially when different characters were walking through the Inquisitor's fortress, I could see how it was a bit "green screen-ish."   I don't know if others had noticed this before, but this was the first time where, for me, it was just obvious they were standing in The Volume and everything around them was Computer Generated in some way, shape or form.  

58 minutes ago, Fergasun said:
  Hide contents

I know I said I was a Star Wars fan boy, inject it all straight into my veins, but I don't know about this.  The only way I can see this ending well is that everyone has to think that Kenobi is dead. We still haven'r seen Palps, we still don't know how the Grand Inquisitor is alive.

General Kenobi, years ago you fought aside my father... about a decade ago you rescued me...I am not sure if Leia ever saw him in ANH, but she was there when he died.  Obi-Wan Kenobi .. there's a name I haven't heard in a long time... a long, long time, well maybe abour 10 years ago.

I do love we all thought it was some adventure with Luke on Tatooine... 

I can see why people were saying "Don't do this!"  because to me it has messed up the continuity in ANH. 

Spoiler

I've said this before, there are definitely things which are going to mess up ANH a little bit.  

But I'm actually ok with it, for the most part.  Because we get to spend more time with characters we know and love. 

Leia is the one in A New Hope who says, "they're tracking us.  It's the only reason our escape was so easy."  (Paraphrased.)  Han says nobody is tracking their ship, blah blah blah.

Well, we haven't gotten the pay-off yet.  But it's happening to her right now.  I think that parallel is pretty cool.  

I mean, we already have Obi-Wan saying something like, "I don't remember ever owning a droid" and by golly if R2 wasn't around a whole hell of a lot for the majority of his adult life.  You'd think Obie-Wan would recognize R2 since he was there for virtually the entire run of Clone Wars with Anakin.  

But what was cool about making R2 so close to Anakin, is he's close to Luke.  Father and then son.  We lose continuity for the line from Obi-Wan in ANH, but we gain quite a bit.  

Continuity issues are going to exist when you expand the universe.  I'm ok with them for the most part. 

The one I would not be ok with is if they truly just killed the Grand Inquisitor and left it, and he magically pops up in Rebels without and explanation.  That would be very, very odd, given Rebels already exists. 

I can't imagine Filoni or Favreau will let that happen though, and they were part of this group, even though they weren't the show runners.  

I don’t think there was anything gained by R2 and C3PO being in the prequels. It created too many problems with the OT, stretched the suspension of disbelief to astronomical levels was done solely for comedic relief, fan service, and to provide characters we already knew into the PT to make us more accepting of these movies. Their presence did not improve the story at all and actually made it quite a bit worse when you think about these 2 ****ing droids being around and central participants to all 50 years of this incredible story. It’s just silly 

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t think there was anything gained by R2 and C3PO being in the prequels. It created too many problems with the OT, stretched the suspension of disbelief to astronomical levels was done solely for comedic relief, fan service, and to provide characters we already knew into the PT to make us more accepting of these movies. Their presence did not improve the story at all and actually made it quite a bit worse when you think about these 2 ****ing droids being around and central participants to all 50 years of this incredible story. It’s just silly 

R2 in the Clone Wars animated series and his connection to Anakin was pretty cool.  Maybe not so much in the prequesls.  

Lucas has joked that this is really R2’s story.   

Shrug.  I honestly done remember the prequels that well.  I liked R2 in the Clone Wars animated show. And I liked the fact Anakin and Luke both had a relationship with R2.  I was fine with that.  

As an aside, I listed to the EW podcast and they had Joby Harold, exec producer and writer on the podcast.  I believe the interviewer was Dalton Ross.  

Ross asked Harold directly about the Leia line and the Grand Inquisitor.  

Harold said the are really careful about the cannon and there is an entire team who is just focused on cannon and making sure there aren’t huge holes, and said we need to wait to see how it all plays out and it will make sense.

Ok, fine.

If they wipe Leia’s memory a la Frozen, I’m going to be super duper pissed.  I can probably live with just about any other explanation if it makes some sense.  

It also leads me to believe The Grand Inquisitor (TGI) will be making an appearance.

Reva is not in anything after this show.  I wonder if she meets her end somehow.  Either by Vader or TGI. 

Anyway, minus force wiping Leia’s memories, I’m more hopeful this will make more sense when it’s all said and done.  

20 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Oh come on. DARTH VADER BUILT C-3PO!! That’s awesomeness!!

I know you say this younger in cheek, but honestly, it is kindof a fun little twist.  

It made me wish 3PO ran into Vader in the first scene of ANH, Vader stops and says, “3PO? Is it really you? It’s me, Anakin! Remember me? I built you!  … You always were a winy little ****.” (Pulls our light saber and destroys him.)

20 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

This thread is now the "reveal hidden comments" thread 🤣

We need to determine what the appropriate time is for spoilers.  I think through Friday and then no need for them.  If you haven’t seen the show 3 days after it airs, don’t come into a thread about the show.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We need to determine what the appropriate time is for spoilers.  I think through Friday and then no need for them.  If you haven’t seen the show 3 days after it airs, don’t come into a thread about the show.  

Just wait until I watch it. Then I don't care. :ols:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I’m being overly kind, compassionate and caring for my fellow ES family and brethren.  

:P 

FYI, I'll watch it this afternoon, so after then, all spoiler warnings are off. I think that's fair

On 6/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Response in spoiler...we can dispense with the spoilers tomorrow, captain.

Spoiler

In regards to the much debated Circle is now complete line, it's entirely possible Kenobi defeats Vader without killing him. As I recall, Ahsoka ****ed Vader up pretty well in the Sith Temple in Rebels, in one of the best episodes in all of Star Wars...

On 6/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, we already have Obi-Wan saying something like, "I don't remember ever owning a droid" and by golly if R2 wasn't around a whole hell of a lot for the majority of his adult life.  You'd think Obie-Wan would recognize R2 since he was there for virtually the entire run of Clone Wars with Anakin.  

Technically, Obi Wan didn't own a droid. Anakin did. So what he said was true...

Wait for it ....

Wait for it....

...you know what I am going to say....

....from a certain point of view!

• Haha 1

Spoiler

One last thing about the ease of the two speeders getting into the Fortress Inquisitorious--The Empire is exceedingly arrogant. Tarkin was incredibly pompous. Krenic (sp) was insanelt arrogant. They didn't think they could get into the station on Scarif, one man fighters posed no threat to the Death Star, "evacuate, in our moment of triumph?" They think they're invincible.

Edited by Riggo#44

@Voice_of_Reason Did you listen to the house of R deep dive? Joanna brought up an really cool theory that all 6 Obi Wan episodes are paralleling the first 6 movies. That’s even why they share similar names? 

part 1 - shares a lot with TPM set on Tatooine and Luke/training discussion replaces young Anakin training talk 

part 2 - attack of the clones. Contains a Clone trooper and we’ve got Obi wan on his own investigating something 

part 3 - revenge of the sith. Obi Wan/ Anakin fight 

part 4 - Obi Wan sneaks into an Imperial fortress to rescue princess Leia like A New Hope 

part 5 - Empire …could be a large battle takes place among the new path and empire? Could be a training session with force ghost Qui Gon or perhaps a discussion with Yoda? Obi Wan powers up either way. Or somebody loses a hand lol

part 6 - Return of the Jedi. Think this is where we get the Reva turn to the light 

I think it would be pretty cool if it plays out that way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

@Voice_of_Reason Did you listen to the house of R deep dive? Joanna brought up an really cool theory that all 6 Obi Wan episodes are paralleling the first 6 movies. That’s even why they share similar names? 

Yeah, I heard it, loved it, and it's been brought up on one of the other pods I listen to as well.  

I love the theory.  So far, it holds.

I think it almost certainly has to hold true for V.  The thing with Empire, there were really 3 major plot points:

1. Hoth - Imperial bombardment of a Rebel Base

2. Yoda - Training with a master

3. Cloud City - Trying a daring rescue, a pretty big defeat for our poor friend Luke at the hands of Vader. Also the "I am your Father" reveal, but I'm not sure there is anything "shocking" they can reveal, since we already know the before and after parts of the story. 

They've set up Part V (or whatever they're calling it) where that's what you would absolutely expect.

- The Empire knows where they are going because of the tracker, so why do that unless you're going to attack them.

- Obi-Wan has to complete his training to become the Force Ghost like Yoda told him to do.  Well, this is as good as time as any.  ** I REALLY wonder if we're going to see Yoda.  Everybody seems to think it's Qui-Gon.  The head-fake would be Yoda instead.  

- I'm not so sure about how Vader hands Obi-Wan ANOTHER "L" without just killing him.  But I guess it's possible.  

Maybe this sets up a final "battle" where Obi-Wan shows something of the Force to Vader he is not aware of, which could lead to the "last time we met" line.

I struggle with how they could get Part VI to work, because the big themes in Jedi are:

- Rescue Han from Jabba's palace

- Siege on Death Start II

- Luke vs. Vader Part II, where Luke defeat's Vader, Vader tosses Palpy down a big hole, and then dies.  (And somehow becomes a Force Ghost without the training Yoda went through in the Clone Wars animated series and it appears Yoda will here shortly. The fact Anakin is with Yoda and Obi-Wan at the end of Jedi has ALWAYS bothered me, though my source of discontent has changed over the years as to the why.  

So while I think Part V could very easily fit, because they've set it all up, Jedi ends with a stirring defeat and the deaths of Vader, the Emperor, and the Empire, which clearly they can't exactly pull off.  But I guess we could get the first Rebel Alliance "win" or the birth of the Rebellion, or something like that which would kindof track?

It's a great theory, and I hope it plays out, then I hope they take credit for it.