Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan Transcript

TK

The only thing I can find on it says it's voidable until week 1.  I could certainly be reading it wrong, but I've seen this same wording used, supposedly from the CBA itself.

When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s opening-day Active/Inactive roster of the option year, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.[/size]

http://theramshuddle.com/topic/nfl-cba-explained-rookie-contracts-5th-year-option/

I think they confused "opening-day roster" as meaning week 1/game 1 of the season.

This is what I had found in the past:

"In my original editorial, I said that the Browns would not owe anything to Taylor if they chose to cut him. I need to make a clarification on that after doing more research on the fifth-year option the Browns picked up. Andrew Brandt of MMQB explained last year that the fifth-year option becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year:

The "true guarantee" for the option—guaranteeing the player against release due to skill, injury and salary cap reasons—does not activate until the start of the 2015 league year in March. NFL teams can release 2011 first-rounders before the fifth-year option triggers in March with no remaining financial obligation for the option amount."

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/2/21/8083819/clarification-on-phil-taylors-5th-year-option-becoming-guaranteed

And this:

"The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year in the fifth contract year (approximately March 8, 2016 for the 2012 draft class)."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25140831/agents-take-a-guide-to-fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks

I think they confused "opening-day roster" as meaning week 1/game 1 of the season.

I think you nailed it.  I kept finding links that say it both ways after following the 2 you provided.  I went to the CBA to check the exact wording.  I should have done that from the start, it's just that I know everything I read on the internet is true so I didn't waste my time.

186mdb7x5elujpng.png

http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/cba/private/7991_2-1-20.pdf

Page 46/318 (not the page numbers at footer, but pdf pages)

(ii) The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for injury-related termination only, effective upon the Club's exercise of the Option. The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination if the player is on his Club's Active/Inactive roster at the start of the player's fifth League Year (i.e., the option year).

I also think we need to keep the RG3 stuff to a minimum. Talk about Scot and let's not turn this into another Griffin argument.

All set, I just needed to get this solved.  The League Year begins March 9th at 4 PM, and that is the deadline.

His focus on work ethic is the difference. Measurable a are fine but if you draft passion you can't go wrong. He calls them "football players"

Same is true in anything really. The most successful people you know are rarely the smartest or most talented. They're just working much harder than you and everyone else

Same is true in anything really. The most successful people you know are rarely the smartest or most talented. They're just working much harder than you and everyone else

And they're absolutely in love/obsessed with what they do. Hopefully it's to a healthy degree, though.

But, yeah, you can tell he puts a huge emphasis on guys who clearly love the sport and love playing the game. That's hard to identify sometimes, because if the motivation was always to get to the pros and sign that big contract, that's still real motivation and it can deceive one into thinking it's something more than that.

I'd love to pick Scot's brain on that. Like, how do you see the difference? What's prioritized? How the player operates as a teammate, listens to his coaches, knows the history of the game, adaptability and ability to improve on weaknesses, etc...? I bet you they get deep into that stuff, like "how much does their closest family members talk about money" deep, lol. What's code for "I want to win because I'll get a nice contract in the pros" versus "I want to win because I'm super competitive and absolutely love this game".

I'd bet that's the real difference between a good scout and a bad one. The guy who can see that consistently and doesn't focus so much on the measurables. It's why it's so hard for us to scout on our computers and project guys whom, otherwise, seem like the perfect prospects or vice versa, guys we think have clear issues but they'll improve upon them faster than anyone else because of said love/passion.        

I think there are so many guys who have ridiculous measurable arhat happen to play football

They're singled out in high school and it comes easy because they are physically dominant. They are scouted and put into a college program where all of a sudden they have every resource at their disposal and playing football pretty much becomes their job. They can't help but be good. But they still clock in and clock out. A perfect example is Jadaveon Clowney. Physical freak. Not passionate about football. Couldn't help but be good

Scott spends so much time watching film and that's where it will show up. When your team is down by 21 points in the fourth quarter are you still trying? Are you doing the things to help your team win like blocking downfield or sacrificing yourself against a pulling Olineman so the guy behind you can make the tackle? All that shows up on tape if you are looking for it instead of just looking for highlight plays

Passion always wins out in the NFL. Kirk Cousins is already a better QB than Jeff George ever was despite having about 10% of his ability.

Piggybacking of what zoony said,

Koren Robinson played flag football in a league I was in a few years ago. It was amazing to watch him play qb and db and just own the league BUT he had two cousins that were on the same level and one of those two you could argue was even more talented.

Now those two cousins showed up half the time, had a chance to go tryout in Charlotte but slept in and missed their ride, never paid their team captain, and eventually just fell off the face of the earth.

I'm always amazed at the talent some people have combined with the lack of motivation to do anything with it.

There is no point in Scott telling everyone he is definitely getting rid of RG3 and when it might happen, why cant people see through the coach/GM speak.

A smart GM will never de-value a player. Especially one that won rookie of the year. This is exactly what Scot is doing. Waiting to see if anyone will pull the trigger on a deal. It serves no purpose for him to cut Grifin right now.

Funny how some seem to dismiss this as more coachspeakesque non-info, Scot tells us what he wants to and has no qualms about NOT discussing things we don't need to know. That to me is savvy management, what we've wept for, screamed for and died without.

One year

One freekin year and he has us relevant.

Relevant doesn't mean Superbowls, doesn't mean dominant, it means relevant, professional, functional.

That alone should deserve the benefit of the doubt no matter how much of a pessimistic myopic Eeyore ya are, this is not Shanny's Skins anymore.

So one thing from this interview for those draft guys we have on ES who like to break down players and mock draft etc. Those guys on your list who are height/weight speed guys, athletic freaks but who just did not have the production or tape to match their athletic ability. The 'boom or bust' guys.

Scratch them off your big board for the Redskins.

We are drafting football players not guys who look good in shorts and a t-shirt.

Love that.

Yep. Football players who love the game and have a passion for it. Just like the guys we drafted last year.

Funny, but I always have a list of guys i'd like to see us draft. I'm not a draft expert and I don't pour over highlights or assess players like the guys do in the draft thread.

I can honestly say I was shaking my head at just about every Scot pick last year. I was thinking "who?" on most every pick. By the 5th round I just said whatever. I'm glad I stepped back and did some research on who he picked before judging him.

I have no favorite players this year. I'm going to sit back and say, "Scot, do your thing."

And they're absolutely in love/obsessed with what they do. Hopefully it's to a healthy degree, though.

But, yeah, you can tell he puts a huge emphasis on guys who clearly love the sport and love playing the game. That's hard to identify sometimes, because if the motivation was always to get to the pros and sign that big contract, that's still real motivation and it can deceive one into thinking it's something more than that.

I'd love to pick Scot's brain on that. Like, how do you see the difference? What's prioritized? How the player operates as a teammate, listens to his coaches, knows the history of the game, adaptability and ability to improve on weaknesses, etc...? I bet you they get deep into that stuff, like "how much does their closest family members talk about money" deep, lol. What's code for "I want to win because I'll get a nice contract in the pros" versus "I want to win because I'm super competitive and absolutely love this game".

I'd bet that's the real difference between a good scout and a bad one. The guy who can see that consistently and doesn't focus so much on the measurables. It's why it's so hard for us to scout on our computers and project guys whom, otherwise, seem like the perfect prospects or vice versa, guys we think have clear issues but they'll improve upon them faster than anyone else because of said love/passion.        

I think it's universally accepted that if a player loves football then it will show up in practice.  Granted, you'll have a few Superstar/Freaks who can half-ass it thru the week and bring it on game day.  But you don't build a highly successful team with those guys.  Your core needs to be those players who will show up every day and work their butts off.  Regardless of the weather or what kind of season the team is having they bring the same intensity all the time.  To those kinds of players EVERYTHING is a competition.  They hate to lose at ANYTHING. 

Now, it's just as easy to tell if a player doesn't love football.  He's always getting booboo's that keeps him from practicing but he's ready to go on game day.  Too often he's late.  He's never really 100% engaged in meetings or practice; easily distracted.  Takes a few plays off to rest up until he needs to make a big impression for the coach.  Doesn't handle criticism or coaching very well; too often takes comments as personal attacks.   

Being a good GM is a lot like being a good poker player. You have to be able to read people well. A lot of people can watch film and given enough time find some talent that nobody else spots, but can you delve into the mind of a 21-22 year old and know if he's really a guy you can bank your franchise on? Its a tough skill but McC has it.

Now, it's just as easy to tell if a player doesn't love football.  He's always getting booboo's that keeps him from practicing but he's ready to go on game day.  Too often he's late.  He's never really 100% engaged in meetings or practice; easily distracted.  Takes a few plays off to rest up until he needs to make a big impression for the coach.  Doesn't handle criticism or coaching very well; too often takes comments as personal attacks.   

Not to mention they are probably the type that are the last one on the practice field, and the first one off.

I think it's universally accepted that if a player loves football then it will show up in practice.  Granted, you'll have a few Superstar/Freaks who can half-ass it thru the week and bring it on game day.  But you don't build a highly successful team with those guys.  Your core needs to be those players who will show up every day and work their butts off.  Regardless of the weather or what kind of season the team is having they bring the same intensity all the time.  To those kinds of players EVERYTHING is a competition.  They hate to lose at ANYTHING. 

I agree on this almost 100%, but still, more than often you'll get guys that don't care much about football, but will look like they do. They'll show you all their physicals and stuffs, look great but that's because they like fame and money more than football.

Some are not smart enough to get everything that's going through a meeting. But you should not retain that against them as not being  a football player. Guys sometimes just like being in the thick of things and don't really care much about scheme or whatever as long as they can hit a few guys during the game, they'll love that.

One thing I REALLY liked about the interview on 980 was Sheehan and Loverro both took it upon themselves to make quite clear to GMSM how happy many of us are about his presence and his work to date.

I've said it before: TK's av wins the internet:

av-truth_zpsateuujdd.jpg

velocet

Some are not smart enough to get everything that's going through a meeting. But you should not retain that against them as not being  a football player. Guys sometimes just like being in the thick of things and don't really care much about scheme or whatever as long as they can hit a few guys during the game, they'll love that.

With all due respect that is precisely the kind of player you DO NOT WANT in the NFL

From experience, I used to play that way in high school and I hurt my team immensely (and my chances to get a scholarship), even at that level of football. I was sixteen and stupid - I do not expect that from pro football players on a million a year and those kinds of players are liabilities in the modern NFL

No thanks

Archived