Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan Transcript

TK

Some are not smart enough to get everything that's going through a meeting. But you should not retain that against them as not being  a football player. Guys sometimes just like being in the thick of things and don't really care much about scheme or whatever as long as they can hit a few guys during the game, they'll love that.

LOL those guys go to defense!  Inside joke with the teams I coach.  I usually gravitate towards the offensive side of the ball :)

With all due respect that is precisely the kind of player you DO NOT WANT in the NFL

From experience, I used to play that way in high school and I hurt my team immensely (and my chances to get a scholarship), even at that level of football. I was sixteen and stupid - I do not expect that from pro football players on a million a year and those kinds of players are liabilities in the modern NFL

No thanks

No problem mate. My first post was probably poorly worded. I was thinking about guys not being smart enough doesn't mean they don't like football. A guy that cannot understand every subtlety of an opposing team, tendencies and stuff like that but can still grasp 70/80% of it could be OK.

Otherwise, I've stated here quite often, especially when it's Draft time, that the first quality I look for in a guy is "being smart".

But both of us are on the edge around here, and in the NFL, with our thinking. Many coaches and FO thinks they can make up and draw schemes/plays that suits dumb players.

LOL those guys go to defense!  Inside joke with the teams I coach.  I usually gravitate towards the offensive side of the ball :)

To go along with above, I would say that you need smart guys on D. D is mostly "read and react", so you better be smart, so can read the play well, and thus act accordingly.

I can make up for less "smarts" on OL, or maybe on the gunner position on ST. That's where it's pretty simple and easy, and you mostly just need to bully things up.

But as a whole, you don't want stupid guys that won't play accordingly to the play that is called. Not guys that will run everywhere to make a block or a tackle.

Archived