Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here’s an Amazing Story of Jeremiah Trotter Knocking Out LaVar Arrington

Boss_Hogg

Bailey wanted out of DC. That was happening

Technically it was his wife who wanted him out of DC. But still

Wasn't Lavar extended way early, for a Ray Lewis type figure? Meanwhile, Champ was due, having been drafted a year earlier than Lavar? Then there was the whole affair thing for Champ, but I feel like that would have been ironed out had Lavar not been the focal point from 2000-03. 

I think Champ was just flat out tired of the organization and didn't want to hand his prime over to that mess. I suppose there are other reasons too but it's worth remembering that he played for Norv, Robiskie, and Spurrier, a murderers row of hopeless hacks. Only Schotty could coach, Im sure Champ knew it, and then he was booted for a hopeless college coach on holiday. I think after five years he had enough, dont think Lavar had anything to do with it. Im sure Im not aware of plenty of other issues he had in DC, but it was perfectly logical that at 27 or so and ready to enter his prime, he basically had had enough and wanted to get the hell out. Anyone would, if you take the fan glasses off, and just think of yourself in your situation with maybe one contract left unless you can stay healthy, why would you give it to the 2004 Redskins? Even w/Gibbs. Cerrato, Snyder, and those god awful joke coaches, the only talented coach his first half decade in the league was fired immediately after the season because Snyder was bored not being able to play in the war room? Any sane person wouldn't have re-upped if they cared at all about their legacy, and their career mean anything else other than money.

So glad we've departed that era. It was an awful Decade+ and it was following an awful '93-'98 era to boot.

That was the only player Trotter ever hit - from any team - while he was a Redskin.

Trotter was dreadful in 02' and 03' but I've forgiven him after reading this story.

In my eyes he is now the second best free agency signing (behind London fletcher) in the Snyderrato era.

And let it be known that he balled out when he retuned to the Eagles in 04'.

Listen to those imbeciles on that show. We bust on our personalities a lot, but just think how much worse it could be. 

Great story, but hate being reminded of those hideous days as a Redskins fan. Bunch of players who were here for one reason: $. No team unity, no team loyalty, terrible performances ... ugh. 

One of the most most telling things from that interview is Trotter's description of Arrington  He acknowledges that Lavar was a physical freak - even now you can hear the awe in his voice as he's describing his physical talents.  He also acknowledges that Arrington is an intelligent man.  But what comes across is Lavar's almost willful refusal to study and prepare.  Marvin Lewis would be installing the game plan on Wednesday, and Lavar would be in back of the meeting room texting instead of paying attention.  So on the field, he never knew where he was supposed to be.

The ironic thing of all this is that Trotter wasn't some kind of Redskin hero either. He is/was also another symbol of the Snyder Dark Era, a mercenary who came here to get paid and woefully underachieved.

It'd have felt a lot better if it was someone like London Fletcher who knocked out Lavar. Instead its just one hated Redskin beating up another.

Lavar is an insecure narcissistic under achiever.  I remember him throwing Gibbs under the bus several times when he had his radio show, it shows you how clueless he is.

I remember him talking about wanting to leave the team right before the Tampa playoff game in 2005, trying to make his speech at ST's funeral all about him, and making his living by trashing every Redskins player and coach. He should have never been put in the Ring of Fame and I'm glad many fans boo'd him when they did.

IMO the reason why so many of us are against Lavar is because at the time I believe we had to make a decision between him and Bailey. We ended up trading Bailey to Denver and a 3rd pick for Portis which if you think about it was insane. Only if we traded Lavar.

That was an option? We could've given up Lavar instead of Bailey? We would've had Bailey for just 1 more year, as he was leaving anyways, but maybe could've gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him?

It'd have felt a lot better if it was someone like London Fletcher who knocked out Lavar. Instead its just one hated Redskin beating up another.

Sorta how I felt about Ebenezer Ekuban dragging Jeff George on the turf at Texas Stadium. It couldn't have happened to a better guy in George. His offense agreed by not coming to his aid.  I only wish that play would have happened in Cincinatti, Oakland, or some distant city not in the NFCE.

But other owners are friends with their star players too!

I agree. Good examples are Tom Brady and Bob Kraft or John Elway and Pat Bolen.

But the difference is that Lavar at age 22 became the Dan's pet before he accomplished anything in this league.

Another point, is the fan-boy mentality of Dan himself but I won't go into that.

I think Champ was just flat out tired of the organization and didn't want to hand his prime over to that mess. I suppose there are other reasons too but it's worth remembering that he played for Norv, Robiskie, and Spurrier, a murderers row of hopeless hacks. Only Schotty could coach, Im sure Champ knew it, and then he was booted for a hopeless college coach on holiday. I think after five years he had enough, dont think Lavar had anything to do with it. Im sure Im not aware of plenty of other issues he had in DC, but it was perfectly logical that at 27 or so and ready to enter his prime, he basically had had enough and wanted to get the hell out. Anyone would, if you take the fan glasses off, and just think of yourself in your situation with maybe one contract left unless you can stay healthy, why would you give it to the 2004 Redskins? Even w/Gibbs. Cerrato, Snyder, and those god awful joke coaches, the only talented coach his first half decade in the league was fired immediately after the season because Snyder was bored not being able to play in the war room? Any sane person wouldn't have re-upped if they cared at all about their legacy, and their career mean anything else other than money.

So glad we've departed that era. It was an awful Decade+ and it was following an awful '93-'98 era to boot.

No it's not logical at all.  Dude was hooking up with a reporter and his wife wanted him to move.  It was more about his affair than about the team.

Lavar is an insecure narcissistic under achiever. I remember him throwing Gibbs under the bus several times when he had his radio show, it shows you how clueless he is.

I think you might have hot the nail on the head with that descriptor.

I honestly can't recall a football player who had so many ex teammates or coaches openly say the same negative things about them.

Combine that with his comments about people like Gibbs and the dysfunction of the organization as a reason he wasn't better.

Everything bad that's happened around him goes thru the lavar filter and becomes someone else's fault or responsibility. Clearly, the man is not in touch with reality.

Steinberg has a Bog entry today where he quotes a recent radio appearance by Tony Banks reiterating how much Darrell Green and Bruce Smith complained during Marty's training camp.

While I think everyone likes Marty's "everyone is equal" approach, I think in the NFL a coach has to win over his veterans immediately. Marty never did

Archived