Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Calling: Martins House of Commons Official Offseason Twitter thread, Crumpets and Biscuits(Cheerleaders) extra

SWFLSkins

But give Griffin a line designed to block for Manning and an A+ Defense and I think he can do it. After all, he wouldn't have to be Superman. He wouldn't even have to be Batman. On the Broncos next year, he'd barely have to be Plasticman.

Was it Mannings line? Or Manning? I think we know his - griffins - problems here were more him than the line.

Still, I worry about griffins durability, good line or not.

Was it Mannings line? Or Manning? I think we know his - griffins - problems here were more him than the line.

Still, I worry about griffins durability, good line or not.

We might find out. I suspect a little bit of both. And yes, Griffin's problems were definitely more than the line. In fact, I'd say 75% of Griffin's problems by the end were due to his head, but the line absolutely did contribute to his woes. Note the difference in Cousins production between 2014 and 15. Cousins was always good at avoiding sacks, but with a pocket the interceptions went way, way down.

4 out of five new linemen might have played a part in that.

(Mind you, I really don't want to get into it.)

@john_keim My gosh what will Jordan Reed get when Fleener gets 36 million. Reed is a way better tight end #Redskins

Redskins Fan Zone ‏@Redskins_FZ  6m

#NFL Franchise, transition tag deadline pressures #Redskins, Broncos contract ... http://wp.me/p78OgF-ezL 

Adam Retweeted StatsCentre

Let it marinade #Redskins

Adam added,

CdJSmceXEAEt_Ao.jpg
StatsCentre @StatsCentre
Past decade of NFL free agency shows success on the field seldom corresponds to the teams who've spent the most cash

#Redskins re-sign McCoy, Ihenacho, Foster, Golston as free agency opens #HTTR http://www.fox5dc.com/sports/103492271-story  #fox5dc

Giants look like they are doing the real work so far.  That defense is going to be very hard to deal with.

They paid Vernon Oliver (who had 1 sack less than Preston Smith) like he's the modern day Reggie White.  Snacks is good but 9 million a year for a pure run stuffer in a draft full of guys like that?  And Jenkins is a good but few would say a great CB but he's getting paid like he's D. Revis.

Jerry Reese is channeling his inner Vinny Cerrato.    They have been quietly a big free agent driven team for years now, only difference this year is they went for even more high profile players in one fell swoop.  It feels desperate to me -- Eli is getting old -- Reese's job is on the line -- so the approach is lets go nuts and see what happens.  If they get this wrong, the Giants IMO will likely replace the Redskins of old as the new most likely team to finish at the bottom of the division year after year -- lot of guaranteed money in those contracts, if these guys fail, they are in trouble.

NFL Network posted its 99 top free agents last month. 31 of the top 50 have reportedly signed already. #Redskins

One thing I do know: #Eagles and #Giants will be, without question, TRASH. Hot, steamy trash. #Redskins continue to build a bully.

#Redskins gave Vernon the business in wk1. Will continue to do so w/Trent and Co. Only difference is it will be expensive for #Giants

They paid Vernon Oliver (who had 1 sack less than Preston Smith) like he's the modern day Reggie White.  Snacks is good but 9 million a year for a pure run stuffer in a draft full of guys like that?  And Jenkins is a good but few would say a great CB but he's getting paid like he's D. Revis.

Jerry Reese is channeling his inner Vinny Cerrato.    They have been quietly a big free agent driven team for years now, only difference this year is they went for even more high profile players in one fell swoop.  It feels desperate to me -- Eli is getting old -- Reese's job is on the line -- so the approach is lets go nuts and see what happens.  If they get this wrong, the Giants IMO will likely replace the Redskins of old as the new most likely team to finish at the bottom of the division year after year -- lot of guaranteed money in those contracts, if these guys fail, they are in trouble.

These are also young players who could very well have excellent careers there.  Overpaying this season can be valuable down the road.  Nobody thinks the highest paid players at any position are the best players at their position, that simply doesn't happen due to the market available at the time the player is signed.  2-3 seasons from now we could look at Vernon's contract for example in a whole new light.  Look what Malik Jackson got on the same day for example.  

IMO you can only look at the money if it hamstrings you from something better... as you said the NYG are nearing the end with Manning they are pushing in for one last run - and they have plenty of cap to do it.

They are in trouble once Manning leaves in any case.     

I've played for Gus Bradley and Todd Wash. HC and DC in Jacksonville.

If they get some talent on the defensive side of the ball they will be very good.

yep I don't think you could have been any more clearer than that. I think he meant like, what do you mean you played for them? like, what team?

i'm kinda interested in finding that out as well actually. cause that's pretty cool.

It's funny.  I am getting the youth movement, and it makes sense.  Preston>Oliver.  Breeland>Jenkins.  Harrison...we shall see.  Regardless, I get it. Prudence is foresight and farsightedness. It's the ability to make immediate decisions on the basis of their longer-range effects.

These are also young players who could very well have excellent careers there.  Overpaying this season can be valuable down the road.  Nobody thinks the highest paid players at any position are the best players at their position, that simply doesn't happen due to the market available at the time the player is signed.  2-3 seasons from now we could look at Vernon's contract for example in a whole new light.  Look what Malik Jackson got on the same day for example.  

I follow your point -- doubting though 15 million a year or so is the new benchmark for good but few would consider elite D lineman.  I guess will see.  Be different if they were signing elite guys.   They are betting big on potential.  Reminds me a little of Cerrato's thinking -- i.e., yeah Randle El isn't a high end #2 WR yet but we will pay him as if he is because we are betting on him taking the next step here or take your pick with a similar story with many FAs.   Mike Wallace was good for the Steelers but not quite elite, but the Dolphins paid him as if he were elite.  I think that's a risky bet.   We've seen that game played many times in FA and not only isn't it a sure bet, wouldn't surprise me if its a losing proposition more than 50% of the time.

I'd feel different if the Giants were signing elite players for that elite money.  The Von Millers, D. Revis types.  And the key IMO is they did this with 3 players and apparently if you buy the rumors more of this is coming.  I recall the Eagles dream team from a few years back, they looked pretty good on paper, too.  Going nuts and bringing in the FA big names hasn't been a recipe for success -- maybe the Giants break the mold and prove to be the exception to the rule.  I doubt it.   

They are debating this now on NFL Network, some saying smells of desperation -- what about chemistry, etc?  But again plenty will applaud it, big names are sexy -- we for years would get kudos too at the time of the signings. 

I follow your point -- doubting though 15 million a year or so is the new benchmark for good but few would consider elite D lineman.  I guess will see.  Be different if they were signing elite guys.   They are betting big on potential.  Reminds me a little of Cerrato's thinking -- i.e., yeah Randle El isn't a high end #2 WR yet but we will pay him as if he is because we are betting on him taking the next step here or take your pick with a similar story with many FAs.   Mike Wallace was good for the Steelers but not quite elite, but the Dolphins paid him as if he were elite.  I think that's a risky bet.   We've seen that game played many times in FA and not only isn't it a sure bet, wouldn't surprise me if its a losing proposition more than 50% of the time.

I'd feel different if the Giants were signing elite players for that elite money.  The Von Millers, D. Revis types.  And the key IMO is they did this with 3 players and apparently if you buy the rumors more of this is coming.  I recall the Eagles dream team from a few years back, they looked pretty good on paper, too.  Going nuts and bringing in the FA big names hasn't been a recipe for success -- maybe the Giants break the mold and prove to be the exception to the rule.  I doubt it.   

They are debating this now on NFL Network, some saying smells of desperation -- what about chemistry, etc?  But again plenty will applaud it, big names are sexy -- we for years would get kudos too at the time of the signings. 

Nice post. The only thing that really concerns me about the Giants is they have a QB and incredible WR in place already. We and most of the unsuccessful FA teams never had that. 

Nice post. The only thing that really concerns me about the Giants is they have a QB and incredible WR in place already. We and most of the unsuccessful FA teams never had that. 

Thanks. Eli though is good IMO not great, Odell is great.   Their O line IMO is so so.  Their safeties and Lbs are so so.   Ayers actually was very good last year on the other side of Pierre Paul.   I am guessing he's gone, now.  Is Vernon really gone to be that much of an improvement over what Ayers did for them?  I like Harrison at DT but not sure if I like a pure run stuffer at 9 million a year.  And am not sure Jenkins is actually an improvement over Prince aside from his durability.    The kicker to me is usually a here comes the calvary off season where you bring in multiple guys with big contracts all at once -- doesn't add up to good chemistry.  New guys adjusting to each other, old stalwarts feeling underpaid in comparison, etc. 

Vernon money: 2016: $29m. 2017: $12m. 2018: $13m. First 3 years: $54m. Most in history for a DE.

Junior Galette Retweeted DeAngelo Hall

Thanks bro for everything like I said we'll see tho!!

Junior Galette added,

DeAngelo Hall @DeAngeloHall23
@JovaisG I know you in the conversation. Hope it's with us next year but even if it's not, I want you to BALL my brother.

These contracts are just out of control. Especially QB

You'd think teams would start to learn but every year you get teams that wrap up $100 million in a position or two... insane approach to building a team

Some lessons best learned on your own. 

albert-haynesworth.jpg

It's officially a 3-year deal worth $9M for Colt McCoy. $1.8M guaranteed. #Redskins

McCoy receives $1M base in '16 + $200K roster bonus. The $1.8M is a signing bonus Final yr in '18 can be voided on playing time #Redskins

Archived