Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - #Redskins vs Packers (FINAL)

JimmiJo

For those wanting Gruden fired, do you really want Kirk to have to start learning a new offense now?  He's just getting comfortable with Jay's offense and still hasn't gone through an off-season as 'the guy'.  I think he continues to improve (more incrementally not exponentially) next year with another year in the same system.  Give him a new offense to learn and all bets are off.

Not much sleep for me (not all because of the game) and fortunately I don't have work until late this afternoon.

I just now watched jay's post game presser (Kirk's next) and I continue to like what i see---i could see and hear his pain and regrets and his competitiveness is great. Keeping it real, if you're calling for his head now, you're football-stupid so learn that about yourself (this is whether one "likes" Jay or not). Actually, I've always had the position that in almost all instances, if you're calling for a coaching change and you don't have a pick for an available replacement as part of your comment, you're just passing gas in public. Next year the evaluations will continue as the program and staff are still in that stage.

If I had to put my money down now, it would be we're on the right track and I personally ain't looking for any major staff changes---not even Barry yet---i'm as unsatisfied with pretty much the same things as anyone, but the personnel issues this year for Barry were huge, so I'm good with giving him another round of talent infusion from Scot.

stevemcqueen1's post right above is solid, but while I think next year will be tougher, I'm more optimistic (at least my version of it Redskins-wise) then some may be. I think another round of talent and being able to reflect on the whole teams product as a unified entity over a whole season should be big.

I keep it out of my analysis, but emo-wise, I like these guys (coaching staff and a true GM) more than I have others here in quite some time, and think the future looks positive for many of our current players. We need more rounds of Scot/scout staff at work to continue our progress.

I sat here this morning thinking That sucked! However, I must admit they came a long way and much farther than I imagined.  I figured this was another major improving year, and they got twice the wins I thought they would.  I think at least we are addressing key areas.  OL while not perfect came a long long way!   Our QB situation has stability and improved.   Now if we can get some D backfield addressed and shore up the line a bit, we could be looking at something.    

I cannot leave mad as in so many years past.  We have the potential to continue the build and have real football people doing the decision making.   

I go into the draft with  positive thoughts and thats not something I've said in a long time.   So my skins friends till we meet again (draft day)  I say good day!

I think the story of the game was their defense, specifically their ability to shut down our WRs. I think it was a combination of their secondary plus good pressure from their d-line. We haven't seen that kind of pressure in the last half of the season and it was a difference maker. We need more talent inside.

I too could feel Gruden's pain in his post-game interview, and I also thought Cousins gave a very good interview as well. But what really moved me was seeing Scott McLaughlin consoling the players as they came off the field...especially Trent Williams, who appeared to be crying. This team cares, and they will be back in the playoffs next year. I will be wearing a Cousins jersey next year. My son lives near DC, and he said while out Sunday morning, he saw more people out in Redskin gear than he's seen in years...even whole families decked out. So, the fans believe, the team believes, and the Redskins are definitely on the rise.

HTTR

One of the things I felt best about during yesterday's game was that the refs didn't decide it. Basically, the refs kept their hankies in the pockets for most of the game. I could quibble and say the defender on Garcon should have been called for PI in the endzone, but by and large... I thought the game was called evenly which is as close to fair as one might expect.

Kirk in his post game presser...man. Smart and driven guy. He's got that (don't freak---read) Peyton Manning deal about wanting to just absorb all there is to know from what I can tell. Bonus to have a guy who doesn't make me cringe when he's in front of a camera. I loved Dexter Manley and Clinton Portis, to name a couple, but sometimes they were as embarrassing as they were funny or cool.

Hypocritically, I love everything Riggins did.  :D

Is there a dumber bigtime football panel than faulk, irvin, and deion?

Just a guess... McNabb, Haynesworth and Arrington?

I'd love to know what McCloughlan said to Cousins after the game.  McCloughlan looks intense.

https://vine.co/v/iMAzaIY0D2X

"Just talked to Dan, don't worry, we'll have a contract for you come wednesday. Big one."

That might be worth a caption thread! :P

I feel like we picked a bad time to go conservative after the past month of successes being liberal unpredictable.

Running Alf down 2 scores with 10 minutes left...  I feel we should have been in hurry up. And likely long before that since it was clear as crystal we could not stop Rodgers.  Our OL could not pass protect for some reason (cha cha cha changes), and boots wags and rollouts were not even in the game plan. No misdirection, no trickery, no reverses, no fleas... maybe we emptied our playbook to get where we were. 

Anyone see any obvious adjustments when the pack scored on 6 of 7 series?  We should have blitzed him much more than we did, which appears to have been rarely. Corners were off seemingly all day, we played it passive. I was very bummed to see a lack of adjustments on D. I call bunk we made a lot of adjustments on D. They dictated our personnel and we looked dead in the water. 

I think its high time we rethink the need for a 3-4. We rush 4 every time, and there is zero doubt which 4 are rushing. Meanwhile, our NT is easily pinned onto the field vs hurry up, and we are dead in the water. Now some likely want an upgrade at NT. I don't think that is easy to pull off. 

I may be alone but think the wind was a factor. I cannot recall a windier kickoff in DC. And the winds fired up right at game time. Cousins had overthrows and unders. I bet Rodgers has more experience in high winds. 

We can say Green Bay was the better team and end all discussions of the game, and have this morph in the season summary thread, but it's a long off season. Fact is our game plan failed, and is worth dissecting. 

Kirk in his post game presser...man. Smart and driven guy. He's got that (don't freak---read) Peyton Manning deal about wanting to just absorb all there is to know from what I can tell. Bonus to have a guy who doesn't make me cringe when he's in front of a camera. I loved Dexter Manley and Clinton Portis, to name a couple, but sometimes they were as embarrassing as they were funny or cool.

Hypocritically, I love everything Riggins did. :D

Why Riggo but dislike Portis?

Thanks to everyone for the great game coverage over this season.  Fantastic articles and photos.

Thank you to you, Hap, and to all of the members of ES who make this place what it is. Without all of you, there's no way we'd be able to do what we do.

Thanks to everyone for the great game coverage over this season.  Fantastic articles and photos.

Thank you to you, Hap, and to all of the members of ES who make this place what it is. Without all of you, there's no way we'd be able to do what we do.

Props & Thank Yous to both of you, Spaceman Spiff, SkinsFanInTN, NoLeafClover, & our Iron Man Award winning JimmiJo for being there for 15 games. From Training Camp to the Playoffs, all of you helped keep it on lock.

Now, get some rest, spend that time with the family & get recharged because OTSs will be here before you're ready for them to be.

Now, get some rest, spend that time with the family & get recharged because OTSs will be here before you're ready for them to be.

I'm bailing out in the morning to spend a couple weeks in Jamaica, so BRBN coverage will be sketchy for the next two weeks.  I doubt there will be any earth shaking news for the next couple of months anyway.

I'm bailing out in the morning to spend a couple weeks in Jamaica, so BRBN coverage will be sketchy for the next two weeks. I doubt there will be any earth shaking news for the next couple of months anyway.

Yeah & the last time anyone thought that, Gibbs hired the 700 page playbook :P

Archived