Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - #Redskins vs Packers (FINAL)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - #Redskins vs Packers (palyoffs!)

1/10/16

DEFEAT

Packers 38 - Redskins 15

I don't know about you, but I'm about to pee myself with excitement.

Hello my friends! JimmiJo here, and I will be joined today by not one but TWO all-star coverage partners in TK and Murf. We three will bring you all of the sites and sounds of today's action.

Today the Washington Redskins will host the Green Bay Packers at FedEx Field. Washington are the NFC East Champions and the Packers the NFC's 5th seeded wildcard, which is why the game is being played here and not in the frozen north.

This match-up features one of the league's hottest offensive teams in the Redskins hosting what has been one of the hottest offensive squads over the last decade. But the Packers come in today searching for consistency, having won only two of their final six games.

Meanwhile the Redskins finished their season on a four-game win-streak, with the offense red-hot. Washington averaged 32.8 points per game over that period.

One cannot mention the offense without mentioning quarterback Kirk Cousins. Cousins posted 12-touchdowns against 1-interception over that final stretch. He added another two touchdowns rushing. And for those final four games he averaged a 75.8 completion percentage.

Red hot.

Despite recent results, we have to remember the Packers feature a pretty good quarterback in Aaron Rogers. Rogers finished the season with 31-touchdowns compared to only 8-interceptions (Cousins went 29-touchdowns and 11-interceptions on the year). He posted 3,821-yard passing. Rogers is very careful with the ball and we cannot expect the same generosity as we saw from Dallas last week.

Though finishing second in the NFC North, Green Bay finished with a better record than Washington (10-6) and a win today by the Redskins would represent their first against a team with a winning record.

Still, as hot as Washington has been I like their chances, especially at home.

The temperature will hover around 50-degrees at kickoff; ideal for football. It has been raining the past two days so expect a soft field.

Speak among yourselves and stand by for news as the day progresses...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III
o No. 31 RB Matt Jones
o No. 37 CB Jeremy Harris
o No. 56 LB Perry Riley, Jr.
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio
o No. 85 TE Marcel Jensen

No. 78 Kory Lichtensteiger is expected to start in place of No. 67 Josh LeRibeus at center.

The Packers declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 7 QB Brett Hundley
o No. 37 CB Sam Shields
o No. 69 T David Bakhtiari
o No. 79 G Josh Walker
o No. 80 TE Justin Perillo
o No. 86 TE Kennard Backman
o No. 91 LB Jayrone Elliott

No. 23 Damarious Randall is expected to start in place of Shields at cornerback.
No. 73 JC Tretter is expected to start in place of Bakhtiari at tackle.

Final Thoughts

I predicted a 28-14 Redskins victory based on homefield advantage and how well the offense has played down the stretch. If I had to do over I would predict a closure game, but still with the win going to Washington.

Fingers crossed. No injuries. Follow my on Twiiter @Skinscast

JimmiJo

How about a round of applause for your 2015 Washington Redskins? Coming into the season few expected more than seven wins. Instead, they won the NFC East going away and showed real reason for optimism.

In the end, this game was too big for them. If you ask where it went wrong, for me, the Redskins were out-coached in that they could not respond to the in-game adjustments from the Packers. After getting good pressure early on Aaron Rogers, Green Bay went with the no-huddle to negate Washington's rush. And when they weren't going quick, the Redskins couldn't get to Rogers which resulted in big plays.

Before you knew it, the Packers had paisted 17-unanswered points on the scoreboard to take the lead by halftime.

Still, Washington came out with a brilliant scoring drive to start the 3rd quarter. After surrendering the lead again, the Redskins were again on the march.

And that's when it all went wrong when Kirk Cousins was sacked then lost the fumble. Green Bay marched down field and never looked back.

Statistically, Washington played just ok. They registered 354-total yards, with 270 by way of passing and 84 on the ground. They went 5-of-15 for 33-percent on third down. They averaged only 5.2 yards per passing play, though they did log 4.7 yards per play rushing, begging the question of whether they could have rushed more.

Kirk Cousins finished with a respectable 29/46 for 329-yards, 1 touchdown and a rating of 91.7. I say 'respectable' but this was his poorest effort in over a month. After the first quarter you expected a big day, but adjustments by the Packers on defense changed things. Their pressure affected Cousins' comfort level, forcing him to move and throw more quickly than he would have liked.

Head coach Jay Gruden cited a play where DeSean Jackson was running free but Cousins could not connect due to being sacked. The Packers logged six sacks against the Redskins, including the forced fumble and recovery mentioned above. This compared to just a single sack by Washington.

Pre-game I tweeted the Redskins needed to worry about Eddie Lacy. And Washington did a great job early of shutting down the run. But it was the once Super Bowl MVP Rogers who showed his class. He really is a cut above and unless you are getting to him, expect trouble.

That's just what Washington got. Rogers finished 21/36 for 210-yards, 2 touchdowns and a rating of 93.5. Not spectacular numbers, but he made some bigtime throws that made a difference.

So did some of the run plays featuring wideouts. Green Bay finished with 141-yards rushing, which really made a difference.

Coming into this game I felt great about the Redskins chances to win it. The Packers had been playing flat and Washington was red-hot. But the playoffs bring out the very best and Rogers and company have been here before and won it all.

The Redskins can feel proud for a season where they did more than anyone could expect back in August. But they should also feel the sting of blowing a two-score lead and shrinking when the offense was most needed.

There was noticeable disappointment in the locker room following the game. Gruden was likewise visibly disappointed. And he should be. He and his coaching staff were outclassed tonight.

But like the young roster, tonight's game is a big learning opportunity for the coaches. They have got to learn to react to in-game adjustments. At least have a plan going in so that if the other guys do something, they have a plan to react.

Perhaps they did, but you could never prove it by me.

I think I broke some news tonight in tweeting that Jason Hatcher is considering retirement. I expect a lot of roster changes and look forward to the offseason and new additions. My wish-list?

Center, blocking TE, running back, ILB, CB, S, and G.

My friends, I have totally enjoyed this season; my tenth covering. I logged 15-games for ES this year, to include the first and the last and preseason too. It has been a long haul and I am looking forward to a break. Covering so many games got me out of my long Sunday runs. The extra 20-pounds I've picked up this year tells me I need to get back to it.

Ta!

ES Photo Album

ES Photo Album Volume 2

How's the wind JP? I was showing that earlier looking at the forecast. 

Have to favour the Packers with their experience of this stage but we are the hot hand so hopefully that carries over. 

Play smart football. No silly turnovers Kirk. Keep the stellar run going. The less time the balls in Rogers hands the better. 

Hail. 

There's a few cheeseheads here in the Red Zone lot. They're a fairly nice bunch even though I asked Pez if we could grill a cheesehead hat on the grill. :)

A few rows back from the tailgate, there's a pasty white kid in a Seahawks jersey. Told him he was two weeks early for us to punch his ticket home. :)

DD81FDE3-C394-456E-A83B-537B20FC24A9_zps

How's the wind JP?

Sun's out. A little breezy. Feels like September out here right now.

Why would you turn up in a Seahags jersey?

I half get the opportunity to go see a live playoff game he maybe would never have if he's a Seattle fan that lives in the area. But just go and enjoy football. Don't tip up in a teams jersey that's not involved FFS! Bellend. 

Related, I'm real interested to see how much green there is in the stands. Packers fans are some of the best around and always travel well. 

Hail. 

I am amped n ramped n rett to roll! Spent the morning out to the store and the mall yakkin it up w/ Skins fans (and trollin some of the locals in green), got a TON of positive comments on the team, good wishes from a buncha people, good talks w/ Steeler and Chiefs fans (have NO idea how they got here) but just generally waving the flag, wearin the colors and getting myself prepped. Had to burn off some energy, I am ready to plotz!

No matter what, I'm proud of our team, the way they've handled themselves and just paid no attention to the naysayers. To all the fans representing those of us that cannot be there in person, give 'em hell, make the Pack fans feel welcome and console 'em on the way out later.

Damn this is what it's all about.

Pretty sure you're o'f my generation ..... Remember when this  (the post season) was par for the course? When we used to be pissed if we not only missed out, but if we didn't win 10 in a season?

Here's to Mac's evaluation building a squad to bring those days back again. 

Hail. 

Pretty sure you're o'f my generation ..... Remember when this was (the post season) was par for the course? When we used to be pissed if we not only missed out, but if we didn't win 10 in a season?

Here's to Mac's evaluation building a squad to bring those days back again. 

Hail.

I'm pretty hyped today. Give me a start like the 91-92 Detroit game please.

Why would you turn up in a Seahags jersey?

I half get the opportunity to go see a live playoff game he maybe would never have if he's a Seattle fan that lives in the area. But just go and enjoy football. Don't tip up in a teams jersey that's not involved FFS! Bellend. 

Related, I'm real interested to see how much green there is in the stands. Packers fans are some of the best around and always travel well. 

Hail.

Same reason I'm sure there will be a turd or two in Cowboys jerseys. Attention seekers.

Archived