Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Know Your Opponent (Everything you ever wanted to know about the Packers)

clskinsfan

So we get Green Bay in the first round. One of the most storied franchises in the NFL is coming into our house for the biggest game of Jay Grudens career to date. What do we know about our opponent? I figured we could use this thread to talk about what the Packers do well and what they dont do well. 

First a little bit of history about our opponent. The team was founded in 1919 by "Curly" Lambeau. They have won 13 world championships including 4 Super Bowls. The most by any team in league history. They play in a legend of a stadium "Lambeau Field" which was built in 1957.

Offensive stats:

Record 10-6

Total Points for 368 Points against 323

Green Bay has the 23rd ranked offense in the league in YPG at 353.8

They have the 15th ranked scoring offense at 23 PPG

They have the 25th ranked passing offense at 219 YPG

They have 12th ranked rushing offense at 115.6 YPG

Aaron Rodgers is 17th in passing yards with 3821. He is 15th in rating at 92.7. His stat line:

347 572 60.7 3,821 6.68 65 31 8 46 92.7

Eddie Lacy has 758 yards on a 4.1 average

James Starks has 601 yards on a 4.1 average

James Jones is their leading receiver with 50 receptions for 890 yards and 8 TD's

Randall Cobb has 79 catches for 829 yards and 6 TD's

Defensive Stats:

Ranked 15th in yards allowed at 5547

Ranked 12th in points allowed at 23.7 per game

They have the 6th ranked passing defense at 228 yards per game allowed

They have the 21st ranked rushing defense at 119.1 yards allowed per game.

They are 7th in the league with 43 sacks

9th in INT's with 16

20th in forced fumbles with 12

Aaron Rodgers scrambling ability is legendary. He has the ability to make plays outside of the pocket like no other player in the league once the play breaks down. He can run for a first down at any point in the game. His legs are a serious threat. His arm strength is one of the top in the league. His accuracy especially on the run is second to none. See the hail mary video below. As well as a video highlight film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QBaziudTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff_dfqeFTc

This is a down year for the Packers. A down year and they still finished 10-6. Their defensive pressure is excellent and they force turnovers. 

Rodgers is capable of taking over a game by himself. The loss of Jordy Nelson at the beginning of the season was huge for them. The offense just has not seemed to recover from it. Julius Peppers and Clay Mathews are potent pass rushers. They have combined for 17 sacks this season. HaHa Clinton Dix has 3 sacks 2 int's and a ff. 

The Skins can win this game. GB's rush defense is poor but so is our rushing offense. GB's strength on defense is in shutting down the passing game. But I think Cousin and our weapons are good enough to exploit them. I expect a high scoring game something like a 34-31 type score. 

Gotta say, that really surprises me. When I think of GB, I imagine an offense built around Rodgers' arm.

Yeah. I think that goes back to the loss of Jordy Nelson. James Jones has stepped in admirably and had a decent year. But he is no Jordy.

Yeah Larry, that is low, real low. 

cls - I find it hard to believe that Jordy is that important to Aaron. Could be wrong. I think something else is contributing mightly, what? I don't know. OL maybe? No running game?  

Aaron is the type of QB that can overcome a lot.  Jordy is a great WR with him, but I would guess he's a little above average without. 

219 yards in this day in age is crazy, especially for a gold standard QB like Rogers. 

Courtesy BRBN:

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Being stingy on defense is still not enough

Sounds like they've got a really tough defense.  The article describes multiple games where the defense held their opponents to 13 points or so, but they lost because of touchdowns scored while the Pack's D wasn't on the field. 

Sounds like Captain Kirk is not going to be putting up 35 against them.  (Although 20 might be enough to win.) 

Courtesy BRBN:

Sounds like they've got a really tough defense.  The article describes multiple games where the defense held their opponents to 13 points or so, but they lost because of touchdowns scored while the Pack's D wasn't on the field. 

Sounds like Captain Kirk is not going to be putting up 35 against them.  (Although 20 might be enough to win.) 

Their D is 15th in yards allowed, 12th in points allowed. Average to slightly above average at best.

The Packers offensive line is a train wreck this year. That's their real weakness and that's where we need to win this game.

Go get em, Big Swaggy!

Correct.

The only thing wrong with Aaron Rodger's arm is the lines inability to protect it.  His receivers don't necessarily help him out very much either.  The loss of Jordy and key OL are the primary reason they look bad.

We must get constant pressure on him or it will be a long day and fans will be wondering why they wished for this.

Let's crush their stock.

The stock price rides on the back of Rodgers.

While their defense is clearly stout and wins games for them, they may be in trouble if they think we are still that predictable run to set up the pass team of yesteryear.  Sure Mathews is a PITA and needs to be accounted for, but I look for a lot more of the patented Cousins rollout and boots that seem to give defenses real fits.

Their D is 15th in yards allowed, 12th in points allowed. Average to slightly above average at best.

They didn't give up a touchdown yesterday to my knowledge.

And I'm not sure how many they gave up against the Cardinals either.

Many of those were DST tds for the Cards/Vikes.

Their defense is a tough nut to crack.  Don't sleep.

They didn't give up a touchdown yesterday to my knowledge.

And I'm not sure how many they gave up against the Cardinals either.

Many of those were DST tds for the Cards/Vikes.

Their defense is a tough nut to crack. Don't sleep.

They did give up one rushing to Peterson but thats still pretty good

Pass defense? Didn't Phillip Rivers throw for 500+ yards against them?

My guess is that most teams that face the packers attempt to run a ball control offense and throw the ball more conservatively in hopes of keeping their offense off the field, hence the better pass defense stats

Unless I'm missing something

Know this: Aaron Rodgers is a 2-time MVP, 3-time All-Pro, 5-time Pro Bowl player, Super Bowl MVP, 6-5 in the playoffs, and a future Hall of Fame member.

A lot of people are celebrating our good fortune in drawing Green Bay this weekend, but this is a mistake. The Packers are not to be taken lightly.

Know this: Aaron Rodgers is 6-5 in the playoffs, has a Super Bowl ring, and is a future Hall of Fame member.

A lot of people are celebrating our good fortune in drawing Green Bay this weekend, but this is a mistake. The Packers are not to be taken lightly.

Who is taking them lightly? And would it effect the outcome of the game if fans were taking them lightly?

My guess is that most teams that face the packers attempt to run a ball control offense and throw the ball more conservatively in hopes of keeping their offense off the field, hence the better pass defense stats

No, most team do try to throw the ball against them. Now, the passes may be of the more conservative variety as the short passing game is the most conservative, ball control method available. Thing is, the Redskins are among the best at this strategy, especially since we also have a strong deep ball threat.

Who is taking them lightly?

A lot of fans. In the game day thread most everyone was cheering for Minny so we could have the "good fortune" of playing Green Bay. I just don't like the idea that we should celebrate drawing a "weaker" opponent.

If somebody in the organization said something about drawing a weaker opponent, well then talk about bulletin board material.

Luckily such arrogance seems confined to fans, as you say.

And would it effect the outcome of the game if fans were taking them lightly?

No, but it would if the team was.

Somebody posted in another thread that Jay should do the Joe Gibbs thing and talk up Green Bay as a powerhouse and ARod as a miracle worker all week. I'm of that opinion myself.

The speed and intensity of the playoffs is on another level. I just hope we're ready for it.

Excellent article on the Packers struggles in the second half of the season:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/01/04/packers-limp-toward-early-playoff-exit/78229146/

These Packers, likewise, are a shell of the team that started 6-0, but it isn’t because of players they’ve lost since then. They haven’t been as wiped out by season-ending injuries like the ’02 Packers and should be healthier next week than they were Sunday playing without left tackle David Bakhtiari and cornerback Sam Shields.

If only that were this team’s biggest problem. No, the question is whether the Packers can overcome the preseason loss of Jordy Nelson that hasn’t just degraded their offense this season but nearly shut it down. Nothing we saw Sunday suggests they can.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (80.8 rating) still looks like a different player than the one who won last year’s MVP, and his receiving corps still has almost no dynamic element.

Rodgers actually sounded like he wants to go the other way, open things up and take more shots downfield. But at this point, there’s little reason that will work any better.

Minnesota, like almost every Packers opponent the past three months, played most of this game with a single-high safety and absolutely dared the Packers to beat them deep. It was staggering to see Vikings coach Mike Zimmer go single high even on a second-and-20 in the third quarter. He obviously didn’t fear the Packers’ receivers at all.

“We start being aggressive and throwing the ball downfield and good things happen,” Rodgers said.

Courtesy BRBN:

Um...

Bears: 23 and 17

Seahawks: 17 (week 2, before the Seahawks woke up)

Chiefs: 28

49er: 3

Rams: 10

Chargers: 20

Broncos: 29

Panthers 37

Lions: 18, 23

Vikings: 13, 20

Dallas: 7

Raiders: 20

Cards: 38

They've given up big points to good offenses.  (Chiefs, Broncos, Panthers, Cards).  They've stuffed bad offenses (49ers, Rams, Dallas)

They've been middling otherwise.  

I'm not really worried about our offense putting up points.  They've been doing it for a month.  They'll put up some points.  

The question is, can the defense make enough plays so that Rodgers doesn't have a HOF moment.  

Pack are 4-6  in their last 10.  And 0-2 in their last 2. And have about as much momentum as a 1000 ton boulder that's sitting in the middle of a field.  

No one is saying the Packers are an easy opponent. I think people just dont want to play the Seahawks again, who are definitely a harder opponent with how they are playing right now.

Exactly...it's as simple as that. As a fan, you have to prefer one match up over the other. Avoiding the team that just destroyed the Cardinals (and has ended our past 3 playoff seasons) was a positive thing for me. We could EASILY lose to the Packers by 17 points, even at home. But it's STILL the best match up we could have hoped for given the options. 

I know they have Peppers and Matthews(douche) on defense. So will have to account for both of them. Their o-line has been pretty bad lately, so we'll need to take advantage of that. Just have to limit the tackling in space like other teams have lately. I think we should win if the Skins play like they have been playing.

Pass defense? Didn't Phillip Rivers throw for 500+ yards against them?

502 yards... 20 points.

Total.

I've watched part or all of almost every Packers game (that didn't conflict with the Skins) for the last 7 years (wife is from WI).   

Packers DEF:  

Secondary is average to above average but good tacklers. Corners are good but safeties are just ok. Clinton-Dix can be taken advantage of.  

LBs are above average to good...at times.  Pepers is still a good pass rusher and Matthews is a good MLB/pass rusher as well.  The other guys are not noteworthy. I don't think their LBs are very good in coverage.  It is a bad match-up with the Skins underneath passing game for the Pack.

DL is ok.  Daniels is a good player and BJ is still hard to move...but their run D is not great (give up 4.5 ypc).  They didn't seem to give up a ton of long runs but they seemed to give up 3-5 yards consistently. Not a lot of TFL.  

DEF overall does not seem to generate presser on the QB unless they blitz and/or Matthews is rushing instead of in coverage.  Djax should be ok but Garcon could have trouble getting separation.  Reed should have a field day...I don't think Hyde can cover him and I know Matthews and Clinton-Dix can't.  If they try to take away Reed, Djax and Crowder should be able to make them pay.  Skins run game could be ok if they get some OLmen to the 2nd level and on the Pack's MLBs...they don't seem to shed blocks too well. I wouldn't expect too much from the run game though (not terrible but not great either).

Packers OFF:

Oline is in shambles...and I'm being nice.  They had a G playing LT last night...which hurt both positions.  Pass blocking is a major problem (even with Rodgers quick release) but they are not bad at run blocking (most games).

QB...not gonna bother...dude is still a stud

WRs are ok.  They are not very fast but they get to where they need to be and are pretty sure handed (for the most part). Cobb and Jones have good chemistry with Rodgers but Adams is wildly inconsistent. 

TE is big and sure handed.  Not very fast but not slow. He is tough to bring down...seems to get a lot of yards after contact (could just look like that though).

RBs have their moments. When Lacy is on he is a load...but he has a rib injury. Starks is a solid runner and catches a lot of screens.  Kuhn is a solid blocker and pretty decent runner (very similar to DY)

Offense overall is not "clicking".  They go long stretches looking pretty bad...but can put up points very quickly in spurts. If you looked at their boxscores (which I don't have the time to do) I would guess that you would see a lot of 14 point quarters and a lot of 0 point quarters. They have only avg 20.4 p/g in their last 10 games. 

Special Teams...? I usually go to the bathroom or get food/beer during such action. Hyde seems to go straight up the field on punt return.

Game: I expect both teams to score points.  I will be shocked if both teams aren't in the 20-30 point range (barring freak injury, etc).

If I am going to hope for anything from the fans, it's that they conduct themselves w/ some class, be welcome hosts to the Pack fans that come here, and generally don't embarrass us all.

I don't take GB lightly, they're a playoff team, but I am looking forward to how we match up on a bigger stage w/ brighter lights. We have gotten a lot from the rook class so far, but can they handle playoffs?

The Skins show up (and they will) and we can hang with anybody.

Archived