Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Sit, or Not to Sit... That is the Question

shakinaiken

Using our young guys and testing our depth has been what's kept this team competitive.  Testing the deepest of it may bode well for the playoffs, for instance - special teams who do need a little sharpening.  

Again, I trust our routine-style gameplan that can be practiced and executed even BETTER with a week off to practice it....might as well practice as if it's going to be Seattle.  

We've barely survived injuries as it is.  And dallas doesn't matter.  **** it, I vote rest everyone. 

Using our young guys and testing our depth has been what's kept this team competitive.  Testing the deepest of it may bode well for the playoffs, for instance - special teams who do need a little sharpening.  

Again, I trust our routine-style gameplan that can be practiced and executed even BETTER with a week off to practice it....might as well practice as if it's going to be Seattle.  

We've barely survived injuries as it is.  And dallas doesn't matter.  **** it, I vote rest everyone. 

I'm leaning towards resting key starters, but Kirk plays. Dangerous proposition perhaps, but he needs to maintain rhythm. Conservative play calling. He needs the reps

Finish strong, finish smart. Starters for a half.

I'd give them the third too just so they stay sharp coming out after halftime and can keep that routine down for that as well. 

If Trent can go, Its business as usual. Rest the people who need it. Teams like Seattle, GB and Minny won't be resting, as they still have slotting to sort out.

If Trent cannot go, I don't feel co for table putting my red hot qb out there in a game when we've already clinched

1) Kirk gets knocked out and misses the playoff game

2) Griffin comes in and exacts revenge on the Seahawks

3) ?

4) Profit

Our current net points sits at -2. Even though we've already wrapped up the division and are guaranteed not to have a losing record, to me there's something very........unsettling about our net points as it now stands. I'd like to beat Dallas by at least 3, which might require playing the starters for most of the game.

But of course, concerns like that don't mean much.

This is one of the few stats I look at a lot. I think it's a good gauge for our team. The Patriots, Panthers and Cardinals are all +150 or more, I believe. This stat is why I believe the NFC East is actually not the worst division in football. All season the AFC south has had all of their teams way in the negative. I can remember when we were forty something points in the negative. And maybe more at some point. In these past 2 weeks, we've gained a lot of ground. I think we were at -26 before the Bills game. We also gave up a bunch of garbage points (whoda thunk?) We're a .500ish team on the up, with a very close to even point differential. Right now, I'm OK with that. Especially since we've been playing so well the past few weeks.

Also, my plan is to play the starters until we're up 28-0 at the half

With all our injuries, we won't be able to rest many guys. We still need to have 11 guys on the field. And we don't want guys playing O and D.

I can see the feeling in resting guys, but who do you put in place of them then? We're gonna play our Practice Squad?

You do know that it's a 53 man roster, right?

Exactly. Plus, I could see him pretending he's injured just so he can get that $16 million. Not worth the risk at all

Pretending to be injured and getting the $16 million isn't even a possibility, as he would obviously undergo a physical examination. As if he could just say "oh look, I tore my ACL again. Pay me my $16 million." And then the Redskins respond with "oh sure, we'll put the check in your locker, no MRI needed." Not to mention, Griffin hasn't proven to be greedy, or dishonest. Its stupid to even conqider this a possibility, or something that Griffin would do. I swear some people take any opportunity to bash the guy.

Pretending to be injured and getting the $16 million isn't even a possibility, as he would obviously undergo a physical examination. As if he could just say "oh look, I tore my ACL again. Pay me my $16 million." And then the Redskins respond with "oh sure, we'll put the check in your locker, no MRI needed." Not to mention, Griffin hasn't proven to be greedy, or dishonest. Its stupid to even conqider this a possibility, or something that Griffin would do. I swear some people take any opportunity to bash the guy.

I wasn't trying to say that I think he would think about doing that. I love RG3 (got a picture taken with him the weekend we drafted him, and he signed that picture for me as a highschool graduation gift that June). I'm still the hugest RG3 supporter ever. I meant that i thought most players in that situation could decide to pretend to get injured so as to get a free $16 million from a team (my dad, who many know worked closely with the skins for 6 seasons) was discussing this with my family tonight, saying that could be a risk in playing him next weekend. You are correct, any player who even tries that wouldn't get away with it, because the team would examine said player, and catch said player in trick, which never occurred to me. But not once did I "bash" him.

Sorry if it was taken that way.

And looking back on my post that started this, I should have explained my reasoning first. But to be clear, i have never, and will never talk **** about Griffin.

You do know that it's a 53 man roster, right?

Yup and you dress only 46 on game time.

But resting players means two things:

- They either not dress.

- They dress and they don't play (ala Robert at one point this season)

If we rest Jordan Reed: You put him inactive. OK, then, who do you play at TE?

Alex Smith? Marcel Jensen? Je'Ron Hamm? Darrell Young? Tom Compton? Ty Nsheke? the whole game?

If you rest someone, you have to make someone step up instead of him. And doing so, you still want to be relevant, because you don't want, even if it's a meaningless game, to get yourself handed a 50 burger while playing subs. You can lose 24-23 on a last 50+ FG, that's ok. but if you rest too many guys, and you end up losing 55-3/7 that looks really bad.

I'm ok with resting guys, my question is then: Who do you put in then? We're already far down our depth that I really doubt we can go even further down.

It would be interesting for every one that want to rest to also put their starters on both O and D.

Man, I don't know I want to shut down everyone who is a little banged up or just looks a little worn out.   Plus I want to protect players like Reed, DJ and Garson.  Definetly shutdown Trent he looks a little banged up and also Moses.  Anyone that needs a couple of weeks rest do it.  I don't care about this game but I also have a feeling the backups will play lights out for this team.

Cousins, I would play him for a half and nothing but quick 3 step drop back, no taking chances.  Then play Colt, anyone that says RGIII is nuts, we can't risk a 16 million dollar cap hit in case he gets hurt.

Net Points: 0 "the next check mark" ;)

Well to be fair, Kirk's + / - is through the roof.

If Kirk cousins gets hurt in the play off the last ****ing Qb I want to see is Colt McCoy. Who's better Colt vs Griifin? I'm going Griffin.

There is someone in this thread who should stop posting his opinion about QB. I'm not going to say who.

Robert will be in street clothes during the playoff game so it would be pretty hard for him to come in and do anything if Kirk got hurt. He also sucks.

I'm usually not one for resting guys, but this time I think i am, especially defense. Breeland, Goldson, Hall, Knighton, Swaggy, Kerrigan, all sit.

I think they can turn it on after a bye and could use the rest.

I'd send Kirk to Shake Shack, Reed, Williams, and Moses could use an extra week to heal.

I'd start McCoy, and dress Griffin.. give the tv putzes something to talk about.

DeSean should sit.  (i doubt you could hurt Garcon with a sledge hammer, so he can play.)

~Bang

To be honest, I want 9-7.  A winning season would be sweet. I guess the question the coaches have to answer will a week of rest help more or cost the team focus and energy.

I kinda feel like all the energy was given to making the playoffs. The 'skins just won their Superbowl. They've been really good at being quiet about victories until now. Sure, winning the division gave them the right to crow, but I think this is their crown for the year. I also think they've been playing well enough esp. in the passing game that they can compete with some of the big boys.

This is going to be about stamina and seasoning. Not bad in a forging year.

This is a fun topic to discuss, but I don't believe it will make a huge difference.

A player can get hurt at any time doing anything. Conversely, the "rhythm" argument is overblown a little bit too. These guys do so much more over the course of a week and adjust to different schedules all the time (day games, night games, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday). Not taking 40-50 snaps in a game won't likely impact the way a guy plays the next week.

But, I'm just happy that this is a question fans can ask!

I'm usually not one for resting guys, but this time I think i am, especially defense. Breeland, Goldson, Hall, Knighton, Swaggy, Kerrigan, all sit.

I think they can turn it on after a bye and could use the rest.

I'd send Kirk to Shake Shack, Reed, Williams, and Moses could use an extra week to heal.

I'd start McCoy, and dress Griffin.. give the tv putzes something to talk about.

DeSean should sit.  (i doubt you could hurt Garcon with a sledge hammer, so he can play.)

~Bang

If Jay Gruden was telling those guys:

"You're gonna take a rest for next week, you're not gonna play the last game".

I can bet lots of them, if not all, would answer him something along the lines of:

"**** you coach, it's Dallas, put me in!"

Archived