Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Sit, or Not to Sit... That is the Question

shakinaiken

I've never been a fan of sitting starters for an entire game before the playoffs. I know it's not a situation the Redskins have found themselves in for the most part in the last 20 years but observing other teams, I feel like it can break up a flow. plus, cousins is still relatively inexperienced as a starter and I still feel he needs as many reps as possible.

<edit>

I was more going for the storybook ending is all.

I have many years of bumps and bruises as a result of going for the storybook ending.  :P

But I still saddle up and ride at times---just more slowly and carefully due to decrepitude.  :lol:

I must be Robert because my opinion is different from the crowed. I guess I'll say you're Shanny by that same token.

Too funny ;-) 

I'm not an RG3 fan anymore.  That ended a long time ago.  However, we all come here to sound off and talk it up...on that note, RG3 will never have the same speed and isn't a good fit for a WCO.  Not going to be a good pocket passer.  This doesn't mean he doesn't have skills or that a system that fits him well will not succeed.  He lost favorable terms with his team and definitely will get a new opportunity next season.  

I wouldn't go as far as wishing him to come back in another uniform and light up the Skins. 

Dallas has injuries as well.  Noted is Sean Lee who is Questionable.  Hardy is actually playing for a possible bonus if he tears up our backups.  He gets 500k for a stellar game vs our backups!  TW is hurt and I don't think he dresses for the game.  They will need a max protect and some rushing success to keep KC upright.  There will be plenty of starters out for the game and it's probably the best medicine at this point. 

Personally, I hate Dallas for all the right reasons and more...but I could care less about the game due to logic.  I'll watch and hope that whomever is starting can play well.  They'll be the ones coming in when someone goes down anyway.  Let the game flow and pull them when it's appropriate. 

HTTR

I'd love to see the Redskins o-line do the 'Landry Shift' to close out a win on their home field, just to rub a little more salt in the wound, and REALLY get Cowboy fans booing their asses off.

that would be nice, however, i'd rather see the swinging gate play, that would get a laugh

Edit:  for anyone who hasn't seen it 

and it was even worse at the time kids

http://realredskins.com/2016/01/02/need-to-know-the-week-that-was-at-redskins-park-injuries-complicate-lineup-vs-cowboys/

Need to Know: The week that was at Redskins Park—Injuries complicate lineup vs. Cowboys

Cousins, Crowder closing in on Redskins records—Among the things at stake this week are individual records for Kirk Cousins (120 passing yards to break record for most in a season) and Jamison Crowder (5 to break Art Monk’s record for receptions in a rookie season). It will be interesting to see how Jay Gruden balances such considerations with making sure that the team emerges healthy for the game that really counts next weekend at FedEx Field.

Redskins are not NFC East’s Team Turmoil, for a change—As it turns out, the game last Saturday will end up being the last one that Chip Kelly will coach for the Eagles. And with the Giants contemplation a coaching chance and the Cowboys dealing with issues at quarterback (backup, at least) the Redskins are all of a sudden the model of stability in the division. Some Redskins players opined on why Kelly didn’t succeed. “It’s about the players. Players win ballgames,” said Jason Hatcher. “If they’re not happy, if they don’t like you as a coach, they’re not going to run through a wall for you.”

Redskins RB Matt Jones suffers a setback—Rookie running back Matt Jones is doubtful for Sunday’s game and it’s unclear if he will play any more this season. It appeared for a while that he would be a draft steal but it turns out that he has a longer learning curve. If he can refine his game, he could be a major asset.

Who on Redskins defense could rest on Sunday? —Resting starters is easier said than done. You still have to field 11 players on each side of the ball and each side will play about 70 snaps and you have 46 active players to get that done. The math doesn’t look too good for being able to sit 22 players, even if you want to. Most healthy starters will be in the lineup and play a majority of the snaps.

Injuries alter Redskins practice—Related to the item above, Jay Gruden had to alter the practice schedule because of injuries at defensive back. If you are handcuffed in practice you aren’t going to have a whole lot of flexibility in your lineup.

Full Redskins injury report: Two DB’s out, Jones, Riley doubtful—Dashon Goldson will sit out as will Quinton Dunbar. This will complicate the defensive backfield rotation against the Cowboys and it takes up two inactive spots.

Does our win or loss in this last game impact our draft position? I know its crazy, but if a win or loss does nothing for us this year, does it impact next year?

First of all, I hope we're past the point of trying to lose in Week 17 to improve our draft position.

Secondly, all the playoff teams pick last, in order by how quickly they are eliminated, with worse regular season record as the first tiebreak. So we are picking 21st or later, and at most an extra loss would only make a very slight difference. It's not like we are trying to lose to get the #1 pick instead of the #3.

Green Bay and Minnesota are playing for their division title, the loser is a wild card. Gonna be a hard fought game.

Carolina is playing to secure the home field advantage throughout the playoffs. They cannot afford to lose this game so they will play hard unless they get a big lead.

Arizona is playing to get home field advantage throughout IF Carolina loses. They play Seattle which will be another physical game.

The Redskins could be one of, if not THE healthiest team going into the playoffs. Possibly getting 1 or more players back from IR and the chance to rest key players and players who are nursing injuries. We could be a highly underestimated and overlooked team, moreso than now, providing there are no more injuries that could hamper this opportunity.

Trent is officially inactive today. Hardy can earn himself $500k for two sacks and $1m for four sacks. Which means Kirk should not be playing. Reed and Jackson should not be playing regardless. If any of those three get hurt today, there should be hell to pay at Redskins Park.

Trent is officially inactive today. Hardy can earn himself $500k for two sacks and $1m for four sacks. Which means Kirk should not be playing. Reed and Jackson should not be playing regardless. If any of those three get hurt today, there should be hell to pay at Redskins Park.

He got manhandled by NSekhe rather well... Got 0 sacks, no money.

Got pissed by Scherff in the end...

Only injuries to Jarrett and Philips. Our secondary is once again in shambles... Hopefully there's nothing serious about those two, though I fear Jarrett will say hello to concussion protocol.

Archived