Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

On 2/25/2017 at 11:16 AM, Larry said:

Just wanted to highlight this story, here.  US citizen, carrying US passport, returning to the US from Jamaica, Detained and questioned about his religion, because he has "Muhammad" in his name.  

What I found both LOL-funny and OMG-stupid was that they REPEATEDLY asked him "Where did you get your name from?"

51 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

What I found both LOL-funny and OMG-stupid was that they REPEATEDLY asked him "Where did you get your name from?"

Kinda unrelated, but it is funny that all this happened to him because Ali decided to change his name. If he was Cassius Clay Jr. no one would have blinked and he would never been held up or inconvenienced.

Of course, that reality points exactly to why what they are doing is problematic.

• Like 1

That’s not, to put it mildly, the story preoccupying the media right now. Over the last few weeks, Trump’s White House has exploded in chaos and infighting—a situation Miller exacerbated by helping to mastermind the sudden and much-criticized rollout of Trump’s Jan. 27 executive order banning refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries, which federal judges swiftly blocked. In fact, it was no accident that the order was sprung without warning on a Friday afternoon. Trump’s chief strategist Steve Bannon arranged the timing in the expectation that opponents, freed from work on the weekend, would stage huge protests—drawing maximum attention and galvanizing Trump supporters as the president followed through on a controversial campaign promise, says a senior administration official.

The order did indeed spark nationwide demonstrations, but things veered off script from there, as the White House struggled to explain to law enforcement officials, federal agencies, and foreign governments what the hastily drafted document did and didn’t say. Miller in particular became the target of withering attacks by everyone from Republican elected officials to Stephen Colbert, host of The Late Show, which did a skit featuring Miller’s severed—but still talking—head on a spike. Joe Scarborough, the co-host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe, with whom Trump has a complicated psychological fascination, spent days deriding Miller, whom he dubbed “Little Napoleon.” Yet not only has Miller survived the uproar and calls for his firing but he appears to be ascendant at a time when other West Wing staffers are diving for cover.

"I meant to do that!" #sure

Yeah---what's up with postponing rolling out the revamped ban just so he has more time to enjoy his warm-n-fuzzies from hitting that impressively low bar? What about all the very very bad hombres that the traitorous so-called courts were letting in the country because we need to act now!!!

My ****iing goodness it's amazing how so many people can be so stupid

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Yeah---what's up with postponing rolling out the revamped ban just so he has more time to enjoy his warm-n-fuzzies from hitting that impressively low bar? What about all the very very bad hombres that the traitorous so-called courts were letting in the country because we need to act now!!!

My ****iing goodness it's amazing how so many people can be so stupid

Haha, I read the first tweet and dumbfounded, showed it to my wife... then scrolled down to the next tweet and thought, "exactly".  

Right there with you - how can people be so freakin' stupid?

43 minutes ago, twa said:

I blame public education....Devos will fix that.

happy-211x300.jpg

You can't blame public education. Everything you needed to know is in one book. And they don't teach that in public education, so it's a parenting issue.

Edited by Corcaigh