Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

On 3/13/2017 at 6:40 PM, balki1867 said:

Wow as an American who happens to be brown, this is utterly terrifying that they're simultaneously letting CBP harass brown people over the most minor undocumentable suspicions while lowering the hiring standards for CBP to get more agents. I see this working out very well.

Can someone please remind me about how it's actually only illegal immigration that this administration cares about, and how I'm being alarmist?

I dont think ill grow my hair out anymore. I dont know where it came from but, depending on your prejudice -- I guess, I can look some kind of Spanish or Middle eastern. It sounds weird and I personally dont see it, but honestly I would rather be seen as a large black male with my fade all the way around than either of those two minorities right now. 

I also live in Maryland and dont plan to ever leave at this rate so i feel much safer than i would in, say, Texas. 

ok...now ya gotta trust me on this, cuz we all know how dumbass the godwins law shtick is....and this is just for the grins of it, cuz the payoff is there, honest... 

but get a clip of trump's rally tonight right after he's reading the statute to the crowd and keep watching...and as he goes into one of his premium rants like in the campaign...where his face is all florid, and that right hand is making the circle with the thumb and forefinger and his arm's pumping up and down, and his face is all contorted in anger...then in your mind, make his hair black and paint that mustache under his nose :rofl89: it's awesome i kid you  not

this is assuming you've seen the films from wwii ^_^

• Like 3

The ideologies are different, extremely so, but the underlying aims and dynamics have a lot in common. They use their rally speeches and verbosity to justify and rationalize, but in the end it is and always was driven by greed. Selfish, naked, unabashed and unapologetic greed. Trump is a small man, he hungers for mere money, Hitler's greed was for "lebensraum" and historical justification for his psychosis, but it is greed all the same.

They surround themselves with other small men, men too small for perspective or compassion, men whose brutal view of life is a symptom of their smallness, small of mind, small of character.

This is a test of our moral fibre, of our depth as a people and a nation, of our compassion and understanding. We need to be bigger than them, bigger than this, bigger than the rhetoric and sloganeering, bigger than the shortsighted gains of a few stock market profits, big enough to embrace the true wealth we possess as citizens of this nation.

But in the end it is a test of us, not them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

ok...now ya gotta trust me on this, cuz we all know how dumbass the godwins law shtick is....and this is just for the grins of it, cuz the payoff is there, honest... 

Thanks amigo.  That game is the most fun I've had on ES this offseason.  :rofl89:

I always laugh at how the white trash reacts behind him.  Murica.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Thanks amigo.  That game is the most fun I've had on ES this offseason.  :rofl89:

I always laugh at how the white trash reacts behind him.  Murica.

you see the one young white dude behind him to the right with the crew-cut and that true belieber look on his face, head just a' bobbin up and down? :D

and what about all those empty seats all over the stadium? what up with that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Oh yes, that guy!  :rofl89:

That whole row looks like a young white supremacist movement.

you need to always be aware that the "other side" has the same deal going on in its own way...you see those cameras swing wide at any major lefty event and you see lot of colorful addled-looking folk, too...opposing extremes on a continuum...they often have fundamental commonalities...all salt of the earth...

i am a turrible turrible human bean

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

you need to always be aware that the "other side" has the same deal going on in its own way...you see those cameras swing wide at any major lefty event and you see lot of colorful addled-looking folk, too.

I am keenly aware, amigo.  Anytime the word "trigger" is brought up, I die a little inside. :)

Kelly is getting increasing blowback from critics in the form of he's being don'd guy too much  (my characterization of the critiques) . This a.m . he was widely described as "dismissive" at his recent presser, and i particular when they showed him a blow-up of ICE vehicles staked outside a church in CA and a letter from a bishop asking for that to stop, and reports from other clergy saying the same stuff, his response was to say "we don't go to churches."

Meanwhile...(note the article below describes issues that were there under !Obama! too)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/stop-stalking-courthouses-top-california-judge-tells-ice/ar-BBydxp5?li=BBnb7Kz

Stop 'Stalking' Courthouses, Top California Judge Tells ICE

The chief justice of California's Supreme Court accused federal immigration authorities of "stalking" local courthouses on Thursday, joined a growing chorus of officials objecting to immigration detentions at courthouses.

In a letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, state Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye asked the federal government to immediately stop detaining suspected undocumented immigrants at courthouses in California.

"Enforcement policies that include stalking courthouses and arresting undocumented immigrants, the vast majority of whom pose no risk to public safety, are neither safe nor fair," she wrote. "They not only compromise our core value of fairness but they undermine the judiciary's ability to provide equal access to justice."

In recent weeks, state and local authorities in other jurisdictions, including Multnomah County, Oregon, and El Paso, Texas, have gone public with their objections to what they have called "raids" by agents of Immigration and Customs Enforcement inside courthouses or on courthouse grounds.

Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for ICE's Western regional office, told NBC News on Thursday that the agency had no comment on Cantil-Sakauye's letter. But she confirmed and defended the practice of detaining undocumented immigrants at courthouses in general.

"While ICE does arrest targets at courthouses, generally it's only after investigating officers have exhausted other options," she said, noting that many local law enforcement agencies refuse to honor ICE detainer requests.

Kice said that many of those detained at or near courthouses have previous convictions and that they would have been turned over to ICE upon their releases from jail, anyway.

"When criminal custody transfers occur inside the secure confines of a jail or prison, it's far safer for everyone involved, including our officers and the person who's being arrested," she said.

A particularly high-profile detention occurred Feb. 9 at the El Paso County Courthouse, where security video recorded ICE agents arresting Irvin González, a transgender woman from Mexico, who was at the courthouse to seek a protective order against her alleged abuser.

Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-Texas, told NBC affiliate KTSM at the time that victims of crime should be able to feel safe inside a courthouse.

In her letter Thursday, Cantil-Sakauye sounded a similar warning.

"I am concerned about the impact on public trust and confidence in our state court system if the public feels that our state institutions are being used to facilitate other goals and objectives, no matter how expedient they may be," she wrote.

The ICE policy mirrors promises President Donald Trump made during his campaign last year, but it doesn't appear to be in response to the president's urgings.

Local officials have complained about such operations for several years — as long ago as 2014, 20 members of the Wisconsin Legislature objected to the presence of ICE agents who were stopping and questioning Latinos inside county courthouses.