Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Thank you for posting something from the Heritage Foundation from 2010.  No bias there. 

Even the Cato institute called that study bull****.  CATO, formerly the Charles Koch Foundation.. 

https://www.cato.org/blog/heritages-flawed-immigration-analysis

On Monday, Heritage released a new study entitled “The Fiscal Cost of unlawful Immigrants and Amnesty to the U.S. Taxpayer” by Robert Rector and Jason Richwine, PhD.  I criticized an earlier version of this report in 2007, arguing that their methodology was so flawed that one cannot take their report’s conclusions seriously.  Unfortunately, their updated version differs little from their earlier one.

I’m joined in this view by a host of prominent free-marketeers. Jim Pethokoukis at AEI, Doug Holtz-Eakin at American Action Forum, Tim Kane at the Hudson Institute, and others have all denounced the fundamentals of the Heritage report.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Thank you for posting something from the Heritage Foundation from 2010.  No bias there. 

Are low income families a boon to tax collection?

We can quibble over numbers all day if ya wish......we need to start with how many are here.

Just now, twa said:

Are low income families a boon to tax collection?

We can quibble over numbers all day if ya wish......we need to start with how many are here.

It's not quibbling over numbers.  You are just misinformed, as evidenced by the bull**** source you cited to.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Wont that create a potential problem once the new Exec Order is issued and challenged in Court? Hypothetically, that could lead to 2 different judicial decisions contradicting themselves. 

I imagine the Courts would have to merge them and that sounds like a pain in the butt. I also imagine a stay of the new Exec Order would be bolstered by arguing that not staying the new Exec Order would lead to confusion and uncertainty given that the same general controversy is still pending final resolution in another case. 

From the outside looking in, I dont see how this will help Trump but im sure he has a bunch of very smart attorneys advising. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It's not quibbling over numbers.  You are just misinformed, as evidenced by the bull**** source you cited to.  

As opposed to the BS you are spreading. :ols:

The CBO has done studies showing net loss...old of course.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

As opposed to the BS you are spreading. :ols:

The CBO has done studies showing net loss...old of course.

Still waiting for you to offer up any factual support for your assertions (not alternative facts). Not holding my breath.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Wont that create a potential problem once the new Exec Order is issued and challenged in Court? Hypothetically, that could lead to 2 different judicial decisions contradicting themselves. 

I imagine the Courts would have to merge them and that sounds like a pain in the butt. I also imagine a stay of the new Exec Order would be bolstered by arguing that not staying the new Exec Order would lead to confusion and uncertainty given that the same general controversy is still pending final resolution in another case. 

From the outside looking in, I dont see how this will help Trump but im sure he has a bunch of very smart attorneys advising. 

When they issue a new one the old would be rescinded with nothing to merge.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Still waiting for you to offer up any factual support for your assertions. Not holding my breath.

I've offered more than you.

41 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Now now...the Heritage Foundation did come up with this sweet sounding market based reform to healthcare with mandates for coverage and free market exchanges where people can shop for insurance. If only Obama had adopted that like Romney urged him to in the WSJ, instead of whatever it was he did...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Still waiting for you to post ANYTHING of substance. 

Still waiting for you to do more than post saying they pay taxes.

Do you consider the FAIR study substance?....they agree with me.

Do you consider where your links claim if they were given legal status they would pay more taxes substance?

Just now, twa said:

Still waiting for you to do more than post saying they pay taxes.

Do you consider the FAIR study substance?....they agree with me.

Do you consider where your links claim if they were given legal status they would pay more taxes substance?

So it sounds like you are intent on not adding anything, just more questions without answers.  That's fine, you were just trying to move the goalposts away from "mass deportations are bad for the economy" anyways.  No point in indulging you any further. 

10 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Screw that, you guys on the Right wanted an end to PC, call them out on their BS don't do the "meh it's the internet whatcha gonna do?" line. These are people who more often than not tend to agree politically with you these are your brother and sister Republicans, you tell us that we need to hold our own accountable, but then you guys fall silent.

And you wonder why your party has been taken over by racists. You want PC gone so you can yell and insult everyone else but your own.

I don't identify with them on really much at all these days, and I'm not really concerned with the fact that you and others get riled up over comments on Internet articles. Seems like a waste of time to me, but it's your time so have at it.

I default to being a misanthrope and thats not limited to party. I realize you have a warped view of my political views because I don't freak out over everything the way you constantly do, but I didn't do that under Obama either. I actually have a high opinion of Obama, and an incredibly low opinion of trump, but between it being impossible to keep up and having nothing to add that hasn't already been said I haven't said much.

Anyways, that's about the limit on time I'm willing to dedicate to your absurd arguments.

Mass deportations would certainly hurt the economy, at least in the short term.:ols:

That does not change the fact they are a liability, one even your links hopes is negated by their children as they become workers.

One solution that might make sense is to tie welfare entitlement to work credit or natural born status, applicable to both legal and illegal immigrants (would probably have to extend the citizenship qualification to 10 years or 40 work credits to make it work).  

I think the heritage number counts assistance to US citizen children with illegal immigrant parent as assistance paid to "undocumented immigrant household".  I think the country would probably decide to cover those children regardless of parents' status, but I could be wrong of course.

I think we can start with the broad goal of letting productive illegal immigrants obtain legal status and figure out the details to ensure what criteria they would have to meet as they move through the phases towards full legalization.   

We have tried that broad goal before....the problem has simply grown.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/todays-immigration-debate-rooted-reagan-amnesty-experts-say/

the problem lies in how the Immigration Control and Reform Act of 1986 was implemented. He described the passage of the bill as something of a “con-job” that allowed millions of immigrants in the country illegally to have legal status with a promise of workplace enforcement and other measures to curb future illegal immigration.

But that didn’t happen, he said. And there was little incentive to follow through on promises of strict workplace enforcement, he said, once millions of people were legalized.

they left out enforcing

14 minutes ago, bearrock said:

One solution that might make sense is to tie welfare entitlement to work credit or natural born status, applicable to both legal and illegal immigrants

The problem with that is 10-15 years from now it'll be an argument over getting rid of that. It'll be something like: how can you penalize a person in a bad spot after they worked hard etc. It'll be another play on emotions.

Which is fine, I'm not saying the argument doesn't have merit, just that I don't think that's the compromise you are suggesting it is because it's obvious that'll eventually be argued.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Illegal immigrants pay A LOT more in taxes than they receive in benefits. 

That sounds like a really big claim, that would be really tough to support.  (And, I note, you haven't even tried to do so.)  

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

What exactly makes you think that? :) 

You'll get no argument from me that ongoing enforcement and border control has to be part of any immigration reform going forward and that politicians shouldn't just try to pander 10-15 years down the road, but I certainly acknowledge both of your points.  Just seems like mass deportation is a poor solution to a nuanced problem.

13 minutes ago, twa said:

they left out enforcing

Pointing out that your quote says that they didn't crack down on illegal employers. :)

Something which, traditionally, Democrats have tried to do (although maybe not enough), and Republicans have opposed.