Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Good advice from my FB feed, for people who may be in harm's way.

Important advice from well respected immigration attorneys:

"We are sure you are aware that the White House is rapidly issuing executive orders with major impact on immigrants and other individuals who are not U.S. citizens. Additional executive orders are anticipated. In light of these developments, we have the following recommendations which could be relevant to you or to someone you know. Make sure your lawyer has your relevant information, and that your loved ones do as well. We and others are fighting. However, you should be extra cautious. Please share this information with others.

Be sure that at least two trusted individuals (and your lawyer if you have one) know your name, date of birth, country of origin, and A number if you have one.
If you are a lawful permanent resident, student, visitor, or in other lawful status, carry a copy of your green card, I-94 card, or other proof of status with you, and give a copy to a trusted person.

If you are here on a student, visitor, exchange, or temporary worker status, it may be advisable to consult with a lawyer before traveling out of the U.S.

If you are from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, or Somalia, it is highly likely that if you leave the U.S., you will not be permitted to return, particularly if you are in the U.S. on a temporary basis. Individuals born in or with citizenship in these countries who are currently traveling outside the U.S. may not be permitted to enter.

If you have DACA, consult with an attorney before traveling on an Advance Parole.

If you have a pending I-589 asylum application, I-360 petition, or I-485 adjustment of status application, carry a copy of the receipt with you, keep a photo on your cell phone, and give a copy to a trusted person.

If you have a valid social security card, driver’s license, and/or work permit, carry that with you, keep a photo on your phone, and give a copy to a trusted person.

If you are not currently in valid non-immigrant or immigrant status for any reason, and have been in the U.S. for more than two years, assemble proof of your presence here for at least two years. Proof could be bank statements, phone bills, electric bills, rent receipts, your signature on your children’s report cards, or other documents. Carry a copy of these documents with you, and give a copy a trusted person. Do not carry with you any document that says where you were born. This is because it is possible that individuals who have been in the U.S. for less than two years could be deprived of the right to defend themselves in immigration court.

If you are afraid of being persecuted in your home country and have not yet filed for asylum, consult with an immigration attorney as soon as possible to analyze your asylum case.

If you have children, they should always have the name and contact information of a trusted person, and the trusted person should have your information.
If you do not have a license, do not drive.

If you are in a car which is stopped, in most states only the driver has to present a license. Any passenger should only give his name and not answer any other questions. Ask if you are free to leave, if so, leave calmly.

If you are stopped by police on the street, do not answer any questions other than your name. Tell them you have the right to remain silent and ask if you are free to leave.

If you are arrested, repeat clearly that you want to remain silent and you want a lawyer. Do not answer any questions other than your name. Call a trusted person and tell them to hire a lawyer.

It is usually not advisable to speak to the FBI without an attorney.

If someone comes to your door saying “Police, open up” DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. Ask the officials if they have a WARRANT, to pass it under the door. Take a photo of the warrant and send it to a lawyer or other trusted person. If the warrant is not signed by a JUDGE or MAGISTRATE and does not have your name and address on it, you do not have to open the door. Don’t answer any questions. Cut out the card printed here and slide it under the door to the officer:

I do not wish to speak with you, answer your questions, or sign or hand you any documents, based on my 5th Amendment Constitutional rights.  I do not give you permission to enter my home, based on my 4th Amendment Constitutional rights. If you have a warrant to enter, which is signed by a judge or magistrate, naming the person you are looking for, slide it under the door. I do not give you permission to search any of my belongings based on the 4th Amendment. I choose to exercise my constitutional rights.

We are working with others to fight for your rights. We don’t want you to panic. But we do want you to be prepared"

The last paragraph is good advice for all of us.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Brandy posted this in a tweet above, but it deserves to be brought out here.  Eliot A Cohen, who was counselor to Condeleeza Rice at the State Department, tweeted this.  Brilliantly succinct and on point:

This isn't normal. It's not humane, it's not thought through, it's not necessary, it's not wise, it's not decent and, above all, it's not American.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm glad you understood the track because I genuinely have no clue what he meant.  Maybe my rage is keeping me from thinking clearly.

El's a good guy, too. These are times when even rational well-tempered people are hard pressed. If you're raging lately, you're displaying solid control in the old internet forum. 

People who don't know me well should hear the things I say (or that I do) when I'm raging. No Country for Old Men.

NBA Seeks Clarity on Trump Immigration Ban

Adrian Wojnarowski,Yahoo Sports U.S.

The National Basketball Association has contacted the State Department to understand how President Donald Trump’s executive order to suspend immigration from seven countries could impact the league’s players.

The NBA has two active players, including Milwaukee Bucks rookie Thon Maker and Los Angeles Lakers veteran Luol Deng, who have Sudanese roots.

Before a federal court in New York issued a ruling to suspend Trump’s order to ban, NBA spokesman Mike Bass issued a statement saying: “We have reached out to the State Department and are in the process of gathering information to understand how this executive order would apply to players in our league who are from one of the impacted countries.

“The NBA is a global league and we are proud to attract the very best players from around the world.”

The Sudan is one of the seven countries on Trump’s list of banished nations. The NBA has several global initiative programs, including Basketball Without Borders, that recruit, develop and invest in Sudanese players. Several top Sudanese players are attending American high schools and colleges on visas and could become NBA draft picks.

Rest:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nba-contacts-u-s-state-department-to-understand-how-president-donald-trumps-immigration-ban-affects-players-023152996.html