Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Praying football coach placed on paid leave by district

Zguy28

You know better than to think people only pray at prayer events or in closets. People pray together as they wish, or alone as the wish, and that's ok.

Also you have no idea why someone would walk out of a prayer, assigning disrespect to simply choosing not to participate is not necessary. An atheist that's had a bad or possibly abusive past with religion may not feel comfortable participating. A person may disagree with it strongly enough that they feel uncomfortable or weren't taught to hear things they disagree with and not feel threatened or insulted by it.

I believe that I already covered the prayer closet issue in my previous post, that you chose to ignore that is on you.

As for those who walked out during the baccalaureate service, well I know what one was thinking, because she wrote about it.

http://www.wickedblog.com/2015/05/17/danville-high-school-trades-christian-prayer-for-islamic-chants-and-praise-of-allah-at-baccalaureate/

He could have modified by praying privately in his office or after the game at home. Why does he have to do it on the field?

I wonder for those who take the stance above, would you change your tune if the subject of this story was not prayer but same-sex marriage?

"He could have kept their homosexual relationship in the closet or at home. Why does he have to do it in public?"

Preemptive disclaimer: if you think this post in any way is trying to change the actual subject, you are mistaken.

what the heck does "significant enough to cause people to pray" mean? If he gathers them around to pray, that may be a problem. If he gets down on a knee and says a prayer on his own, I really doubt anyone will care.

What he means if like yesterday in the Seahawks/Cowboys game. What other time do you hear Troy Aikman mention that he's praying for a person? But you're smart enough to know this, otherwise you wouldn't acknowledge the fact that in those cases the school probably wouldn't care.

I wonder for those who take the stance above, would you change your tune if the subject of this story was not prayer but same-sex marriage?

"He could have kept their homosexual relationship in the closet or at home. Why does he have to do it in public?"

Football coaches getting gay-married at the 50 yard line after a game would be quite a sight.

Preemptive disclaimer: if you think this post in any way is trying to change the actual subject, you are mistaken.

Well he shouldn't be having gay sex at mid-field. Heck, he shouldn't be having hetero sex at mid-field.

What he means if like yesterday in the Seahawks/Cowboys game. What other time do you hear Troy Aikman mention that he's praying for a person? But you're smart enough to know this, otherwise you wouldn't acknowledge the fact that in those cases the school probably wouldn't care.

Hmm, upon further inspection, I feel I misinterpreted what was supposed to be the injury was significant enough to cause people to pray with the Coach's prayer antics were significant enough to cause people to pray, hence my utter confusion as to what the heck that was.

Well he shouldn't be having gay sex at mid-field. Heck, he shouldn't be having hetero sex at mid-field.

Hmm, upon further inspection, I feel I misinterpreted what was supposed to be the injury was significant enough to cause people to pray with the Coach's prayer antics were significant enough to cause people to pray, hence my utter confusion as to what the heck that was.

the-hot-startup-taking-on-amazon-says-yo

I believe that I already covered the prayer closet issue in my previous post, that you chose to ignore that is on you.

You know that prayer isn't limited to closets and church. Nor should it be. The point is to not pray specifically to feed ones own pride and vanity.

As for those who walked out during the baccalaureate service, well I know what one was thinking, because she wrote about it.

http://www.wickedblog.com/2015/05/17/danville-high-school-trades-christian-prayer-for-islamic-chants-and-praise-of-allah-at-baccalaureate/

An interesting read. What's your problem with it? People arrived at an event with certain expectations and where surprised with challenging content. I think that kind of thing can be good for you but I'm not surprised by the reaction, which was predictable.

This isn't shocking to me. But shouldn't the coach/players follow the rules? Go to the school board and get it fixed. Get parents involved and demand this be allowed. If this is a big deal, there would be plenty of parents turning out.

What if the coach was a satanist and some of the students volunteered pray to satan for 15 seconds? Are most people honestly going to say it's their belief and move on? Is it a slippery slope that school systems are afraid to go?

Personally, I think students/teachers should have the right to pray in public schools because education is supposed to prepare students for the real world. The real world has religion touching billions of people's lives, so why not give the student/teacher this right? 

I don't think it's to change the topic, I just think it's a really stupid attempt to claim that it's about the persecution of religious people or that I have some objection to people praying in general.

I don't care if people pray and I wouldn't care if a few players held hands and prayed. For instance, when I was a head coach I didn't lead any prayers of my team. If a wrestler wanted to do so before going on the mat or even right when he stepped on the mat, no big deal. At any time if I had asked them to do it in the locker room they would have no problem. Heck, if this coached bowed his head on the side of the field and did his thing, have at it, but as a leader of students at a public school, it's not his job to lead prayers.

You know that prayer isn't limited to closets and church. Nor should it be. The point is to not pray specifically to feed ones own pride and vanity.

Isn't that what this guy is doing by needing to have it his way and make a display of it? It seems to now be about his pride and vanity.

Off the top of my head, because it's not something to be ashamed of, it's not something that should need to be hidden, and now... because people are trying to make it those things. That's just me though, if you want to know why he does it you'd have to ask him.

How does it needing to be out in the open make it more meaningful?

I thought it was about separation of church and state? And state endorsement of religion?

Someone complimented the student president earlier right? Wasn't the quote that we needed things defined in black and white? Or is overt display of religion okay sometimes and just not others?

When it comes to a public school, YES. Common sense is all that is needed for these dumb hypotheticals.

An interesting read. What's your problem with it? People arrived at an event with certain expectations and where surprised with challenging content. I think that kind of thing can be good for you but I'm not surprised by the reaction, which was predictable.

Pride and vanity are often times veiled behind the mask of righteousness.

What's my problem with a woman who went to a public school baccalaureate service and was so disturbed by a Muslim prayer that she stood outside the school and prayed for the people inside to be delivered?

Ok....you're right no problem at all.

I find it interesting that the Muslim parents of the student who prayed didn't walk out on the Christians when they prayed, sang and spoke.

Seriously, the problem is on our side of the fence.

What if the coach was a satanist and some of the students volunteered pray to satan for 15 seconds? Are most people honestly going to say it's their belief and move on? Is it a slippery slope that school systems are afraid to go?

Just going to quote this rhetorical question because we all know what the response would be, heck what if he coach was a Muslim and the game time began just after the evening call to prayer. What would the response be if he pulled his prayer rug out and prayed according to the teachings of his faith?

Goodness Gracious... the left wing really rolls out the prayer rug up in here.  I'm staying to the video game and movie / tv threads.. you people make my head explode :)

Just so you know, some of us are Christians and share the same faith as the coach.

Some of just don't believe that it is appropriate that our faith should be used this way.

PeterMP gave a fantastic quote from the Apostle Paul.  Another user here who is atheist gave a great response. I know you are some sort of pastor Asbury, but the PC silly nonsense up in here is just ridiculous.  With that I bow out of all things not concerning games and movies.

Ignorance will not hide you from your Marxist overlords.:P

PeterMP gave a fantastic quote from the Apostle Paul.  Another user here who is atheist gave a great response. I know you are some sort of pastor Asbury, but the PC silly nonsense up in here is just ridiculous.  With that I bow out of all things not concerning games and movies.

Come on over to the RTT... We got cookies and juice!

What is the specific need to do it out on the 50 yard line? And then starting up again after being told to stop...he also wasted no time going on Fox News to complain about his constitutional rights being violated. Yeah, no attention seeking here at all.

And I've seen a lot of people around the interwebz saying "well it isn't mandatory, so it isn't like he's forcing anyone to do it!". No, it isn't technically mandatory but we've all been in high school and some of us have been on HS sports teams. We all know perfectly well that there would be tons of unstated peer pressure. You want to be part of the team, part of the group. You don't want to be "that guy"; nobody wants to be potentially ostracized from a group or team for not doing something that they technically don't "have" to do.

I do not get why people have issues with prayer after games.  This happens all over the nation including several high schools where I live.  I always thought they were student led with some coaches attending.  Plenty of students do not attend and I doubt that there life is ruined because of it.  Even if, you cannot go through high school without feeling left out of some group.  It is not the schools job to keep students from feeling left out, which I doubt they do in this case.  When I was in high school, I would say that the students praying on the field would feel more pressure than the ones that choose not too. 

I do not get why people have issues with prayer after games.  This happens all over the nation including several high schools where I live.  I always thought they were student led with some coaches attending.  Plenty of students do not attend and I doubt that there life is ruined because of it.  Even if, you cannot go through high school without feeling left out of some group.  It is not the schools job to keep students from feeling left out, which I doubt they do in this case.  When I was in high school, I would say that the students praying on the field would feel more pressure than the ones that choose not too. 

That's not what this is. This is a coach leading everything.

What is the specific need to do it out on the 50 yard line? And then starting up again after being told to stop...he also wasted no time going on Fox News to complain about his constitutional rights being violated. Yeah, no attention seeking here at all.

And I've seen a lot of people around the interwebz saying "well it isn't mandatory, so it isn't like he's forcing anyone to do it!". No, it isn't technically mandatory but we've all been in high school and some of us have been on HS sports teams. We all know perfectly well that there would be tons of unstated peer pressure. You want to be part of the team, part of the group. You don't want to be "that guy"; nobody wants to be potentially ostracized from a group or team for not doing something that they technically don't "have" to do.

This is me (the coach) and Fox News wanted to interview me as well. I'm very familiar with this topic. The attention was amusing and while it made the news across the country I did not do an interview aside from the post-game with the local writer that happened to ask me about it. I did argue with the official when the call was made. What makes this different of course is that I wasn't leading some prayer session.  

NC official penalizes wrestler for pre-match prayer.

A North Carolina high school wrestling official issued a warning to a Wake Forest-Rolesville (Wake Forest, N.C.) High competitor for praying prior to a match, eventually costing him a point and leading to a 3-0 loss, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.

As he has done all season, WFRHS junior Nicholas Fant kneeled at the center of the mat for a prayer that lasted all of two seconds before taking onCary (N.C.) High's Corey Daniels in a 220-pound match, the News & Observer's J. Mike Blake reported.

Archived