Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins verses Rams (Final)

JimmiJo

Experts, did we run mostly power or zone yesterday? 

I would swear it was almost all Mike Shanahan zone yesterday.

The few times we tried to go power (or maybe inside zone), we got stuffed.   Maybe I too busy dancing in the streets over a first half lead and missed what really happened.

Thanks

I am still applauding Jay for opening in a 13 group and then passing out of it

I assume lavaflow was an outstanding auto correct for Lauvao. Though #77 got some props from the announcer, he isn't very good to me. I didn't see him make a strong block all day.

At the beginning of the second half, he had two or three penalties called on him in a fairly short amount of time. I got 'Nam-like flashbacks of last week when we had like 4 penalties in a row. Lauvao made a great block/play on the Jones TD, but by and large I am not impressed by him at all. He is one where I would look to draft a replacement for in the next draft. Get rid of his salary in favor of a rookie and spread that wealth on someone more impactful.

At the beginning of the second half, he had two or three penalties called on him in a fairly short amount of time. I got 'Nam-like flashbacks of last week when we had like 4 penalties in a row. Lauvao made a great block/play on the Jones TD, but by and large I am not impressed by him at all. He is one where I would look to draft a replacement for in the next draft. Get rid of his salary in favor of a rookie and spread that wealth on someone more impactful.

You know, I thought the same thing about #77 before this year. But if you go back & watch the MIA game you'll see him throwing a lot of blocks to spring Almo. He's the lead guy on those power left sweeps (he threw the key blocks on both of Jones' TDs yesterday). He's a mauler & not a finesse guy. He's been putting some guys on their asses this year. I'm not an expert but I don't think the zone blocking scheme works to his strength. 

One last thing, you'll always see him hustling his ass down the field to clean up defenders at the end of plays. I'm cautiously optimistic his good play continues. I don't disagree that a younger G needs to be groomed, but Lauvao is earning his pay so far this year.

btw...I think they have that G on the team - Arie Kouandjio - he can ride the pine & learn the game from Callahan. 

Well, hopefully you guys saw a good game.. I caught a few plays on stream, but god forbid you need to see any highlights out of town.. NFLN had their wrap-up show on in the middle of the night. I DVR'd it.. 1.5 hours of highlights!! They showed 2 plays  :unsure: and that was it.. Even commented before they started to "Lets hurry this up".. Just no respect what-so-ever..

I think they showed every scoring play of the Boys/Eagles and a couple different angles of Eli miscues and dropped passes of NYvAtl, even post game pressers.. I know the Skins are not a priority, but it's an NFL highlight show, is an hour and a half long and they can't even be bothered to show more than 2 plays of Skins/Rams? ****ing pathetic.. :angry:

I think it has to be said, Rams didn't get get crap from the trade and Fisher sucks as a coach. 

Part of that may be true (the part about Fisher) but people need to quit trying to convince themselves that we didn't get taken to the woodshed in that trade. Let's just hope that we finally have real football people in charge for once and that those days are behind us.

Perhaps

You mean like Ari Krakatoa? ... the guy they drafted this year?

Perhaps. I was really speaking in generalities.

I think having some well-placed veterans to help lead the team is important,but for all the marginal vets with higher price tags, I say find a young, cheaper replacement when possible.

As someone noted, Lauvao seems to be doing better this year. I can't argue with that. It will take a lot of similar games, without the boneheaded penalties, to restore my confidence in him.

Part of that may be true (the part about Fisher) but people need to quit trying to convince themselves that we didn't get taken to the woodshed in that trade. Let's just hope that we finally have real football people in charge for once and that those days are behind us.

I agree with you that Fisher is a poor head coach. And I agree with you about the trade. It was a disastrously high opportunity cost and became one of the worst trades in league history when RGIII didn't work out. And not that it really matters to determining the opportunity cost of the trade, but the Rams did get a lot of good players from the picks they got. Brockers and Jenkins are legit, I'd take them in a heartbeat. Pead and Ogletree could end up being pretty decent too. And though Greg Robinson is looking shaky and might be a huge bust, it's early and he could end up being really good.

The problem for St. Louis is similar to ours: a lack of leadership in the FO. Fisher is weak and their GM has spent their bounty of teambuilding resources poorly because they refused to invest in a QB. They drafted Sam Bradford to be Spagnuolo's guy, but they did so a year too late. Fisher was never really married to any QB, so the essential HC-QB partnership that establishes the leadership and foundation of a football team has never coalesced. They may have whiffed on two LTs with second overall picks. Throw in the #1 they spent on Bradford and that's three in six drafts. That's brutal.

Bottom line, you can accumulate all of the talent you can handle, but your football team needs a coherent plan for its construction and the leadership to provide your identity.

Was there a reason they ran three plays at the end instead of taking a knee?  I thought they could've taken a knee without needing a 1st down unless I'm wrong.  Don't have a problem with it, just wondering if I missed something.

I believe that was because the Rams still had timeouts left.  It turns out though the Rams just chose to quit and not use them.

Loved our running attack.....EVERY game we play this season should be played like that. BANG BANG BANG, SMASH MOUTH...Morris & Jones all day....don't care if we have some unsuccessful drives...

Put D-lines to sleep...if we played Miami that way, we'd be 2-0 right now....the Giants aren't built to stop our rushing attack through out the course of a game......starting to wonder if ANY team can consistently stop our running....

To those wondering who is calling plays, Grant Paulsen was talking to Cousins, and asked about McVay's play calls, and Cousins did not correct him. If you don't correct something when asked about it in the media... nevermind :mellow:

While I have been thrilled with our play calling overall, it has reeked of someone else other than Jay. I notice a LOT more runs to the left, which seems a no brainer with Trent there, and the kids on the other side. The 13 grouping and plays out of it may all be new. A lot more quick passes. While I have been a little miffed at a few 3rd down calls, overall its been great so far this year. #McVayCanStay

To those wondering who is calling plays, Grant Paulsen was talking to Cousins, and asked about McVay's play calls, and Cousins did not correct him. If you don't correct something when asked about it in the media... nevermind :mellow:

While I have been thrilled with our play calling overall, it has reeked of someone else other than Jay. I notice a LOT more runs to the left, which seems a no brainer with Trent there, and the kids on the other side. The 13 grouping and plays out of it may all be new. A lot more quick passes. While I have been a little miffed at a few 3rd down calls, overall its been great so far this year. #McVayCanStay

Not in attempt to argue anything, just fwiw in case you missed it:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/393185-es-coverage-interactive-game-day-thread-2015-redskins-verses-rams-final/page-58#entry10347903

Note I identify the actual sourced material as from June. My best take (and that's all it is) is that things are gelling all over (as would be hopefully expected) and that this process is evolving positively and allowing everyone's competencies to compliment the other (logical). I am, however, among those who don't see Jay as some inept OC (or guru either), based on his history to date.

anybody else see McC on CSN post game show grab Kirk to talk/congratulate, and then as Kirk started walking away, grabbed him again, pulled him in close, whispered something and cracked Kirk up ... it was great.

God I wish I knew what McC said that second time he pulled him in.

Yeah I saw that, was hilarious. Also McC is smaller than I thought. Cousins towered over him.

I agree with you that Fisher is a poor head coach. And I agree with you about the trade. It was a disastrously high opportunity cost and became one of the worst trades in league history when RGIII didn't work out. And not that it really matters to determining the opportunity cost of the trade, but the Rams did get a lot of good players from the picks they got. Brockers and Jenkins are legit, I'd take them in a heartbeat. Pead and Ogletree could end up being pretty decent too. And though Greg Robinson is looking shaky and might be a huge bust, it's early and he could end up being really good.

The problem for St. Louis is similar to ours: a lack of leadership in the FO. Fisher is weak and their GM has spent their bounty of teambuilding resources poorly because they refused to invest in a QB. They drafted Sam Bradford to be Spagnuolo's guy, but they did so a year too late. Fisher was never really married to any QB, so the essential HC-QB partnership that establishes the leadership and foundation of a football team has never coalesced. They may have whiffed on two LTs with second overall picks. Throw in the #1 they spent on Bradford and that's three in six drafts. That's brutal.

Bottom line, you can accumulate all of the talent you can handle, but your football team needs a coherent plan for its construction and the leadership to provide your identity.

But if there was ever a year to miss out on a first round pick, it was 2013.  One of the most horrific first rounds of all time--littered with busts.

Let me guess: You have Morris on your fantasy team?

Otherwise I don't really get the complaint. Jones was killing it.

I like the approach of rotating Morris and Jones and going with the hot hand. If I'm being honest, I think Jones is better, but both guys are studs, which is fortunate for us.

Didn't play fantasy this year...so no. 

Again, Jones is a stud. He absolutely balled out yesterday. I just think people are a little too quick to think Morris wouldn't have had the same production given the carries throughout the game. No issues with the team going with the hot hand. Just didn't seem to me there was a hotter hand when the team seemed to go with Jones over Morris. But it all worked out and we won. Honestly I'm also very concerned with Jones longevity - I'm still going to constantly be worried about his knees until the season is over and he hasn't had any issues. 

Archived