Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins verses Rams (Final)

JimmiJo

If our offensive line has looked this good against possibly the two best defensive lines in the game, how are they gonna look against an average or even poor defensive line.

That thought makes me giddy.

Honestly? perhaps atrociously. Not to inhabit the cynical equivalent to all the optimism prevalent in this thread, but this sport and league( and to some degree, this team) is relatively unpredictable. The redskins O-line could dominate a presumably dominant D-line like the Rams, and completely disintegrate against a presumably inferior D-line, like the Giants. I'm tenuously confident, but i wouldn't be shocked if the Giants experience success.

The thing I'm the most surprised about is Gruden actually sticking with the running game. I thought he'd keep doing what he did last year but so far so good.

There's one thing that's been true since I've been on this board during gameday---unless we're dominating offensively for most of the whole game (and you know how often that's happened the last decade) if we're passing and it doesn't work almost every time we do it, we need to run more and the play-caller is a tool; if we're running and it doesn't work almost every time we do it, we need to pass more and the play-caller is a tool. 

I can't diss on Stockton too much.  That guy called a lot of classic games, especially if you're an NBA fan.  Celtics vs. Lakers battles in the 80s were awesome.  I guess I get kinda nostalgic for the guy's voice.  Lame and weird, yes.  I am guilty of both. :)

I'm glad Jay has committed to the run.  We got two hammers back there.  My favorite run of the day was from about 7 yard line.  Al Mo got a few yards.  On the next play, Pierre caught his TD.  In my opinion, that play isn't available with an incompletion on 2nd down.

Committing to the run is accepting that two yard runs are vital.  You gotta keep pounding it.  Sets up play action.  3rd and 5 isn't a bad thing.  

Guys played hard today.  Excited for next week.  Let's send the Mara into the toilet.  I was hoping for a dumpster fire in Philthy, but a meltdown in NY would be awesome too.

In passing situations, yes, but he was integral to several of the sweeps that went to the house for Jones.

He may be the weak link but he's not as bad as people think. Cooley said today that both guards pull very well. Callahan's system suits him well.

In passing situations, yes, but he was integral to several of the sweeps that went to the house for Jones.

He may be the weak link but he's not as bad as people think. Cooley said today that both guards pull very well. Callahan's system suits him well. I think if he wasn't brought in on the first day with a $4mil/yr contract when it was reported nobody else was interested. If he had Steiger's deal or smaller it wouldn't be an issue.

Two weeks in a row this team has surpassed my expectations dramatically by controlling the offensive line.

This team isn't always going to win like this, but I have a feeling, if we're losing like we did last week - where the game is there at the end for the tie or the win... then it's going to be difficult not to stick with Jay.

I love the all-encompassing team approach.  We don't have the players to feature a different attack right now, but this is an impressive game plan two weeks running now.  I'm glad it paid off with a W this week.

Huge, huge test on Thursday with the Giants.  A desperate team with a premier quarterback and excellent weapons to throw too.  Gotta get right back to work.

Is everyone sure Jay's calling the offense? It always appears to be McVay calling in the plays. Of course this could simply represent a hierarchal system of Jay telling McVay the play and him communicating said play to the QB. 

But some of the plays are called in so fast I have doubts the system alluded to above would be sufficient. 

No, they're not sure and neither am I--but knowing what's actually up rarely stops most from going on it and just "choosing" who they "want" to be in the role depending on which one they're casting a villain or hero at the time.

Per my smartest take based on available info and my own analysis, Jay designs the offense and most/all plays, but with primary input from Sean, Bill, and then Scot in the overall sense.

And as to who calls what and when during the game, I don't know the real breakdowns/mix--either '"officially" (what the team would say right now) or what actually happens during the (each) game.

If the posts I am replying to have targeted Jay for blame when anything goes wrong I post in matching form suggesting he gets targeted for credit when they go right. If they only credit Sean/Scot when things go right offensively, I will form the post to attach "blame" to Scot or Sean when they don't go right. Whereas with "them", it will "switch" to "jay's fault." It's about integrity in argument and more intelligent posting.

This quote of Keim's from this June (there are others for other sources) is basically the same thing I'm saying (also fairly logical deductions) and that I've heard from various media/'skins-familiar sources:

Others will have input, such as Sean McVay and Bill Callahan, while Gruden will call the plays. I'm sure there will be times he asks for a suggestion, but if they planned right throughout the week they should know what they want to do in certain situations and what runs/passes they have confidence in calling. This will not be a repeat of 2009 with the bingo play-callers and the flow chart detailing how it works.

added from Finlay of CSN (also June):

While it's certainly not unusual for a head coach and offensive coordinator to work together to formulate the play-calling game plan, Redskins coach Jay Gruden shares the play-calling duties with offensive coordinator Sean McVay, a system both coaches like. 

"We’re very close mentally to thinking alike," Gruden said Tuesday. "When we put together a game plan and you have your third down situations, you can almost call them together."

The coach continued: "It’s very important for us to be on the same page when we install and call plays. But we’ll both have input on game day like we do every game. Whether he calls 50 percent, I call 50 percent, he calls 80 percent or 20 doesn’t matter as long as we agree during the week." 

Though only 29 years old, many view McVay as a football wunderkind. He has been in the game his whole life, and it's clear the strong relationship he has with players on the practice field. Gruden trusts him, too.

"I feel very confident in him calling plays and obviously I feel confident in me calling plays," Gruden said.

The coach continued: "It’s very important for us to be on the same page when we install and call plays. But we’ll both have input on game day like we do every game. Whether he calls 50 percent, I call 50 percent, he calls 80 percent or 20 doesn’t matter as long as we agree during the week." 

Though only 29 years old, many view McVay as a football wunderkind. He has been in the game his whole life, and it's clear the strong relationship he has with players on the practice field. Gruden trusts him, too.

"I feel very confident in him calling plays and obviously I feel confident in me calling plays," Gruden said.

There's no way at NY's defense is as good as Miami and Rams. Cousins is due for a big game.

This is how we usually lose games, when we think opponents have no chance against a 4-12 team like us. Great win but lets not get ahead of ourselves. One game at a time and Giants will not be a push over this Thursday.

Well, at the hospital and things seem mostly ok. Wife is in pain, which they seem somewhat slow in responding to each time. Tests may reveal only recurrent but not life threatening issue but not sure. Just one thing after another for months.

Caught very little of second half but happy for the win.

Jordan Reed = 82 yards

Garcon, Grant, Roberts, and Crowder combined = 75 yards

Reed might've been the MVP of this game. Basically, if he isn't on the field, our passing game screeches to a halt. At least as long as DJax is on the shelf.

If it wasn't for reed catching that long one in the middle of the field this game could have gone a different way. Huge play could have been the play of the game. Love my Connecticut boy

A W! Feels good for a change. What was it last October the last time they won?

bruh.....forgot about the win against the eagles back in december? :lol:

ddint get to watch the game on my laptop cause the wifi has been down on my campus all week, so i was following the score crawl on CBS during the patriots game. felt good to get that win. how did the WRs do? did we get any sacks or interceptions? how did the punt returners/kick returners do? saw kirks stats, something like 23/27? was he as good as his stats show?

Last week's loss really didn't hurt so much because I was able to smell what they've been cooking.  

Today I got to eat, and man was I hungry.  Morris and Jones are so fun to watch.  I've never bought into the modern day football 400 pass yards a game approach, unless you have one of the few elite guys.  The elite can still be beat with defense, a ground game, and an efficient/good QB.  

Today reminded me of the game I love to watch, where our guys line up and push them out of the way.  

Well, at the hospital and things seem mostly ok. Wife is in pain, which they seem somewhat slow in responding to each time. Tests may reveal only recurrent but not life threatening issue but not sure. Just one thing after another for months.

Caught very little of second half but happy for the win.

Damn, didn't know anything was up, Nick---hope all will be well.

bruh.....forgot about the win against the eagles back in december? :lol:

ddint get to watch the game on my laptop cause the wifi has been down on my campus all week, so i was following the score crawl on CBS during the patriots game. felt good to get that win. how did the WRs do? did we get any sacks or interceptions? how did the punt returners/kick returners do? saw kirks stats, something like 23/27? was he as good as his stats show?

Just 1 sack I believe. But constant pressure on Foles, who completed around 50% of his passes. We failed to get any turnovers, but the defense forced so many punts it almost didnt matter. They may have gotten off the field on 3rd downs more in this game than they did all of last year lol. Nothing special from the return guys. We still had some dumb mistakes on special teams. Shanked punt that almost ruined our first half shutout (which was the first one we had in 60 something games). Some stupid penalties on ST as well. Kirk wasn't asked to do too much. Came up with some nice throws when he needed to, but most were short passes and we relied on the run. He threw a pass that should have been picked off, but wasn't. We only went deep a time or two. We need DeSean back to open up the field. But we dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball 

Wow! Who are these guys? They have given up 27 pts. in two games and that includes the late 1st half TD and punt return the Dolphins got last week and the TD the Rams scored on a short field after Jones' fumble set them up at around midfield today. Aside from that, we've given up 6 pts. in two games. The D has been stout, aggressive and wrapping up on tackles. The run game is obviously on point and as everyone knows, if you play solid D and are able to run the ball like we have in the first two games you're going to be in every game with a chance to win a bunch of them.

My early co MVP's after two games-- and it is obviously early-- are DC Joe Barry and OLC Bill Callahan. These guys have their guys playing with excitement and passion right now. As confidence grows and with expected all around improvement as the season moves along, this might end up being a very positive season for us. Can't wait for the next game and hopefully all my feelings that I stated above are the same, if not stronger, at around midnight after Thursday's game.   

Archived