Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your friendly Friday night youtube music thread Vol. II (with respect to vol. I's OP--rincewind)

Jumbo

I went to see Edgar Winter, Alice Cooper and Deep Purple on Wednesday.  Edgar did some entertaining jamming, Alice put on his usual entertaining show (pretty good for a 69 year old guy), and Deep Purple were good, although the lead singer Ian Gillan was a little weak, and they didn't really have a show, just good music done well (my son, who plays piano and keyboard, enjoyed watching Don Airey play).

So here are one from each:

Edited by China
  • Like 1

I saw Deep Purple twice back in the 90s (once w/ Blackmore, once w/ Morse), and Ian Gillian was still incredible back then. "Nothing ****s you like time " as Ser Davos would say.

Who is Don Airey? Is Jon Lord dead, or did he quit? Is Steve Morse still filling in for Blackmore?

Saw Tab Benoit at Old Bay - a blues club in NJ, and he was great.

Edited by Riggo-toni

58 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I saw Deep Purple twice back in the 90s (once w/ Blackmore, once w/ Morse), and Ian Gillian was still incredible back then. "Nothing ****s you like time " as Ser Davos would say.

Who is Don Airey? Is Jon Lord dead, or did he quit? Is Steve Morse still filling in for Blackmore?

Saw Tab Benoit at Old Bay - a blues club in NJ, and he was great.

Yeah, Don Airey replaced Jon Lord.  From WIki:

Airey joined Deep Purple in 2001 to fill in for an injured Jon Lord, who subsequently retired from the band. Airey joined the band as a full-time keyboardist in March 2002. He has recorded four studio albums with the band, Bananas, Rapture of the Deep, Now What?! and Infinite.

More:  http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1236/don-airey-master-of-heavy-metal-keyboards/29437

He played well.

Steve Morse is still filling in for Blackmore.

Edited by China

Had guys talking Steve Morse (who I've met and have a poster autographed to "Metal Mary"  :ols:)..."he was in Kansas???"...I said, "Yeah, 'Power' and 'In the Spirit of Things'...great albums, both with no fiddle.

Don Airey played for Ozzy on the live album of Sabbath songs, way back in the 80s.:beavisnbutthead:

This is terrible.

You could have done almost anything with this song and it would have been fun. It's not an overly difficult song, it is/was incredibly popular, but you did... you did this.

and this is just awful

On 8/26/2017 at 7:28 AM, skinsmarydu said:

Don Airey played for Ozzy on the live album of Sabbath songs, way back in the 80s.:beavisnbutthead:

Was that the Speaking of the Devil album? I think Brad Gillis of Nightranger played guitar on that. Not too big on Ozzy myself, but I had a concert tape of him from a radio broadcast that was the same lineup. Gave it to a friend of mine who is a huge Ozzy fan. She could play the snot out of Crazy Train on guitar!

• Like 1