Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Roster Cuts OP updated - TE McCoy signed - Everett cut - PS: Cofield, Delaire, Dunbar, Plummer, Bates, Hamm, Trey, Crawford, Agnew

DC9

With all due respect to AA and AR, the best preseason either of them had was 150 yards receiving.  Ross lead the league with 266 yards.  

Im not saying hes ever going to become something ridiculous like an Antonio Brown, but if you look back on prior years of preseason, Allen Hurns lead last year, Justin Hunter and Robert Woods were in the mix, the year prior saw Josh Gordon and Ted Ginn in the top 5, 2012 and 2011 had Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc.  So preseason receiving yards DO mean something in some cases.  Looking at the top 5 this year its all a bunch of unknowns, either they buck the trend of 2 of them producing in the coming years, or theres a couple gems in there.

All I know is Ross looks like a total natural out on the field.

With all due respect to AA and AR, the best preseason either of them had was 150 yards receiving.  Ross lead the league with 266 yards...All I know is Ross looks like a total natural out on the field.

That's what I'm saying though. Go back to the memories of Marcus Mason.

I have no problem with Ross making the team, and I'd be happy if we traded Roberts and kept Ross instead, but if it doesn't happen we aren't going to miss much.

Mason got picked up by the Jets that year, IIRC due to RB injuries on their team, and he wasn't much good in the regular season.

Not saying Ross would be the same, I think he's better than Mason, but it's hard to tell.

...Kind of guy we'd cut then he goes to the seahawks or colts (just to name a few) and makes a name for himself!....

That's exactly the kind of post I figured we'd see, but after he is cut (if it happens).

If he's cut, I don't think he's going to "blow it up" anywhere else. Sort of the way AA and Marcus Mason didn't really make us regret cutting them.

I mean, we're talking about the possibility of keeping Evan Spencer who's shown zero as a WR versus Ross who everyone is drooling over. If Ross is actually going to play WR, then it's a no brainer between those two, but if ST is the priority, then it's close, unless we get rid of Roberts, but even then Grant is going to get Roberts' time, not Ross, IMO.

That's exactly the kind of post I figured we'd see, but after he is cut (if it happens).

If he's cut, I don't think he's going to "blow it up" anywhere else. Sort of the way AA and Marcus Mason didn't really make us regret cutting them.

I mean, we're talking about the possibility of keeping Evan Spencer who's shown zero as a WR versus Ross who everyone is drooling over. If Ross is actually going to play WR, then it's a no brainer between those two, but if ST is the priority, then it's close, unless we get rid of Roberts, but even then Grant is going to get Roberts' time, not Ross, IMO.

Didnt say he'd blow it up but I do think he would make a name for himself!

My opinion he's prob our 4th best receiver. But I respect your opinion!

Will be a minor melt down if Ross is allowed to leave. I have my own lighter out---I want the kid.

I watched the entire pre season but didn't realize if Ross played vs the 1's much and if he was as productive.  Say he makes the team, that's fine.. but there is a reason he was playing out there last night to begin with... hes on the bubble.  If he makes the team, you probably won't see him in there unless the game is a blow out and we're just hoping if any of our WRs get hurt.. it won't be our 1, our 2, our 3, our 4, or even our 5 lol...

That's because we all think the guys we want but don't actually draft are guaranteed pro bowlers haha.

Speak for yourself.  Some of us just know.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/lions-zach-zenner-is-the-preseasons-leading-rusher/

This only means something to those who participated in the ES mock draft this year.

And GHH.  Mostly GHH.

Speaking of which...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/jay-ajayi-suffered-a-cracked-rib-thursday-night/

Didnt say he'd blow it up but I do think he would make a name for himself!

My opinion he's prob our 4th best receiver. But I respect your opinion!

True, I did exaggerate. And yours wasn't the "mark my words" post I was thinking of (so I also exaggerated the "exactly the kind of post" :lol: ) but AA had actually contributed during the regular season, but he didn't do anything after he left. Mason started for the Jets, but did nothing of note. 

I hope Ross does better, regardless of whether he's a Redskin, but I don't see him being much different than these guys.

Anyway, I feel bad for him if he doesn't make it.

That's because we all think the guys we want but don't actually draft are guaranteed pro bowlers haha.

To be fair to the Texans, he was tremendous value where they took him. One of those "we pretty much have to take this guy" picks.

I still think, we should try to move Roberts.   I don't feel his Punt Return skills are that valuable compared to what Ross and Thompson can do, and moving him allows us to keep both Spencer and Ross. IMO

Don't sugar coat it, Roberts is terrible at return duties. Makes it look like a hot potato. Trade his arse!

To be fair to the Texans, he was tremendous value where they took him. One of those "we pretty much have to take this guy" picks.

I remembering thinking that about Devin Thomas haha...

You see these kind of cuts every year and they further demonstrate just how much of a lottery the draft really is.

I think there is enough media banter that "we should try to move Roberts" that we are trying to move Roberts.  Rarely happens, especially for anything substantial... but I'm sure Scot is doing his job.

I want to move him so Grant gets more reps. The guy has been great against other first teamers this year. 

And, as Veretax said, Roberts, Crowder, Ross, and Thompson are all pretty much trying to fill the same spots as returners. With Grant, Ross, and Crowder we've got a great young group of WRs with various skills.

The only thing j wouldn't understand about releasing Ross is what was the point of even having him on the roster? I mean what else could he have done if this wasn't enough? And do we really think we're at a point where cutting young talent is a good idea? But sure, let's keep the special teamer who didn't play and had like two catches in college because we drafted him.

The only thing j wouldn't understand about releasing Ross is what was the point of even having him on the roster? I mean what else could he have done if this wasn't enough? And do we really think we're at a point where cutting young talent is a good idea? But sure, let's keep the special teamer who didn't play and had like two catches in college because we drafted him.

I think the real question is whether Spenser has shown enough on special teams to be worth the roster spot. From afar, just watching the preseason games, I'd say no. I've seen more special team flashes from Ross and I haven't seen or heard of any amazing blocks or tackles from Spenser. He's had a couple drops and a play or two in the receiving game. It seems to me that Spenser has shown he's interesting enough to groom, but not so interesting that he deserves a roster spot.

In terms of long versus short term, I don't know that Roberts offers that much more this year than Grant and Crowder and I am hopeful that those two can really grow into the position. Grant seems like that kind of receiver every good team has whose measurables don't blow you away but is always moving chains and getting the job done. Crowder, I haven't seen enough of because of the hamstring, but I'll trust the training camp reports and the fact that the only game he did play in he shown in.

You keep Roberts if you are a solid team making your run. You keep the pups if you are a growing team that wants to make a move. After all, even with a relatively good preseason, Roberts probably still led the team in drops.

I thought Ross flashed enough last year to be a possible surprise keeper on the 53, but we had too many people in front of him.  It is unfortunate for him that a good KO return man has been rendered mostly useless by the new KO rules.  I think the Bears gave him a look after we cut him last year.

He has flashed more this season.  I'd be happy for him to make the team.

The coaches and fans (me included) have said it is Spencer's ST ability vs. Ross's worth as a low depth chart WR.  My question is, has anyone seen Spencer's special teams ability flash in preseason this year?  What has he done on ST?  Is he a gunner?  Is it all college hype?  Just curious what you guys have noticed.

Archived