Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Roster Cuts OP updated - TE McCoy signed - Everett cut - PS: Cofield, Delaire, Dunbar, Plummer, Bates, Hamm, Trey, Crawford, Agnew

DC9

Hi. Yesterday, on Malusis sports talk show from NY, guy from NFL network, said RG3 will not be on the Redskins by Monday. He said if this happens it will go down as the biggest bust draft in NFL history.

Just as a player, 2012 alone and the fact that Robert isn't a total knucklehead like, say, Ryan Leaf, probably makes this inaccurate. But if you take into consideration what the Redskins gave up to get him, that's a different argument.

He got hurt on one of Colt's touchdowns last week.  The one where it was a crosser that was thrown a bit late and into the back corner of the endzone.

Looked like a possible concussion or at least a stinger but I never saw anything further on it other than he wasn't playing last night.

In the postgame presser, Gruden said Spencer had a concussion. I think he's supposed to be re-evaluated today. 

Posted in another link about Ross vs. Spencer: Spencer is a known ST stud (at least from college). Ross will be seated at the end of the bench behind starting WRs. Unless Ross can shine on ST, expect Spencer to get the nod. These comments stolen from TMatich post-game comments on CSN.

Now, if it were me, I'd be on the horn trying to get a sack o' feed for ARoberts. The youngster Ross has earned a spot. But WTF do I know?

Guys I think make the team not sure who gets cut - 

Powe - showed he can play an decent NT, push the center & be disruptive vs. run

Nsekhe - Think he gets the nod as the 1st alternate at OT

Jeffcoat - no surprise

Kouandjio - #3 OG - stole Long's lunch

Jarret - showed he belongs

Rogers - ST play 

Cromartie-Smith 

Cut & resigned to PS:

Dunbar - I hope no one scoops him up; dude has made a great transition to CB; would like to see him coached up

Trey Williams - think he needs a year on PS to improve blocking; didn't do enough to unseat CThompson

Reiter - big-bodied C who needs some coaching; played decent when in but not quite there

Cofield - needs time to develop

Hamm - not sure if eligible but didn't show enough to make the 53; I think the Skins only keep 2 & watch the waiver wire; Compton at OT & TE gives them some flexibility

OG - waiver wire pickup who has the potential to develop; Long looked horrible last night & might even be cut

DL - waiver wire pickup who can develop

SS/FS - waiver wire pickup need a youngster who can be groomed 

WR - Reggie Bell - showed some flashes during preseason

CB - Deshazor Everret

Maybe the surprise move - Griffin to the 6 week IR; Will give the Skins an extra slot on the 53, keep him out of the "when will he replace Cousins" talk, time for GMSM to work the phone for a trade. Yeah, might be a pipe dream but it's my dream...

Potential surprise cuts 

Long

Golston

Baker

Fellas,

This is not an RG3 thread.  If something happens to him regarding a roster spot, post a tweet and I'll update it in the OP.

Thanks.

In the postgame presser, Gruden said Spencer had a concussion. I think he's supposed to be re-evaluated today. 

Posted in another link about Ross vs. Spencer: Spencer is a known ST stud (at least from college). Ross will be seated at the end of the bench behind starting WRs. Unless Ross can shine on ST, expect Spencer to get the nod. These comments stolen from TMatich post-game comments on CSN.

Potential surprise cuts 

Long

Golston

Baker

Oh okay, that's what I figured.  Thanks.

Yeah, Spencer is a vicious blocker, but I don't expect much out of him as a receiving threat. 

I'd be shocked if Baker got cut.  He's been pushing the pocket very well.

Golston shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

IMO, Ross earned his way on the final 53.  I could see Evan Spencer ending up on the PS (depending on the severity of his concussion.) 

Spencer makes it easily onto the practice squad. I don't think he's a threat to be stolen at all. Ross may or may not be. Ross' special teams and receiver play this preseason has been more than solid.

Spencer makes it easily onto the practice squad. I don't think he's a threat to be stolen at all. Ross may or may not be. Ross' special teams and receiver play this preseason has been more than solid.

Ross isn't going to be a returner in the regular season though. Has he been doing well on kick/punt coverage units? I honestly don't even know if he's suited up for that.

I'm hoping we can trade either Ross or Roberts, preferably Roberts.  If Ross makes the team, I don't see him getting much playing time over Garcon, Jackson, Grant, or Crowder.   Ross is worth a 5th round pick.  I'd hate to see him go, but I like draft picks.

I'd be shocked if Baker got cut. He's been pushing the pocket very well.

Golston shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

Maybe Powe makes it over Kearse?

Given how many cuts he's made, I'd argue Golston would definitely be a surprise cut. :)

Right there with ya' GoSkins - good list IMO

I'm hoping we can trade either Ross or Roberts, preferably Roberts.  If Ross makes the team, I don't see him getting much playing time over Garcon, Jackson, Grant, or Crowder.   Ross is worth a 5th round pick.  I'd hate to see him go, but I like draft picks.

Why would anyone trade a draft pick before the cuts. Its not gonna happen.

Yeah KB, probably even better comparison as far as on the field with Robinson.

I was thinking more about how AA bounced around the league a little and was UFA.  

All of them very fast and all were preseason champions for us.  Hoping for the best for Ross, he did have a great game last night.

...Also seems like a ton of UDFAs are in the mix this year. Not sure if that's a good thing or not....

This is something Green Bay is excellent at. Ted Thompson seems to find 2-3 UDFAs who make the team and end up contributing every single year. This is a great thing, IMO. They hardly ever go after FAs and instead find guys in other ways.

This is not an RG3 thread.  If something happens to him regarding a roster spot, post a tweet and I'll update it in the OP.

THANK YOU. My eye started twitching and I began reaching for the ice pick.

As for the cuts, here are my thoughts. My surprise cuts could include any one of these guys:

- LeRibeus (have never liked him anywhere and he looked okay this preseason vs backups but he also had times where he was terrible. I'm not certain that gives you any comfort as a backup C. Maybe this is a spot we grab another team's cut)

- Long (It's a numbers game right now. 4 guards, or 5 if LeRibeus makes it, is a lot. I don't see that happening)

- Evan Spencer/Rashad Ross (either of these guys could make it. Ross played great at WR, but we have one guy that blows all the fans away and leads the preseason in stats every year and gets cut. Then, we have some ESer who says we're going to live to regret this, and we don't. Ross could be that guy this year. Spencer didn't do anything to win me over, but Gruden talked about how great he was on ST and our ST blocking and tackling units SUCK.)

I could see Golston making the team again this year. The guy is the DL version of Reed Doughty, but he's better in coverage.  :lol:

LeRibeus and Long aren't showing their worth. If you're going to keep one, keep the younger one. I could do without either.

Ross fits the slot role better than Roberts does. And by far a better return man. My WR corps would be: Garçon, Jackson, Roberts, Grant, Ross. RBs: Morris, Jones, Thompson. FB: Young. QBs: Cousins, McCoy.

Can someone explain the cut process wrt concussions.

If the team wanted to cut Griffin or Spencer but they haven't been cleared by the cut deadline, is there some type of special exemption, or do they have to take up roster spots as part of the 53 squad?

It was my understanding that a player going through the concussion protocol could not be cut? Or am I misunderstanding that?

I think they keep 7 WRs - and they're probably going to need them.  The one guy who people are sleeping on is Bell.  I was very impressed with him in the preseason games.  If they keep 7, it's between him and Spencer.  Ross has made the team.  

The real tough cuts are at OLB and ILB.  Somebody solid - like Compton - will have to go.  I LOVE Bates, but I don't think there's room, and I think he was so good, that they won't be able to keep him on the practice squad.  .  

I think they keep 7 WRs - and they're probably going to need them.  The one guy who people are sleeping on is Bell.  I was very impressed with him in the preseason games.  If they keep 7, it's between him and Spencer.  Ross has made the team.  

The real tough cuts are at OLB and ILB.  Somebody solid - like Compton - will have to go.  I LOVE Bates, but I don't think there's room, and I think he was so good, that they won't be able to keep him on the practice squad.  .  

Since Compton can play both OT & TE, I think they keep 2 TEs on the 53 & put Hamm on the PS if he clears waivers. That way, it opens up another slot on the offense. If they only keep 2 TE then maybe Ross & Spencer make the 53. I don't see them cutting Nsekhe. The dude was the best OL last night by far. Played both LT & RT & played the whole game. Yeah, vs. backups but he played well. 

Bates showed some flashes rushing the passer but he was really weak vs. the run. He was unable to shed blocks all night last night against backups (granted, I didn't watch him every play). I think he's bound for the PS. 

Archived