Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins the worst team in professional sports?

boobiemiles

I am no fan of the Raiders, or Browns, but I really feel that people give their ineptitude waaaaaay too much credit.

The Raiders situation was pretty obvious, what with ol' Mr. Burns running that show, & although his son is still a crapshoot, I really think they're in a good position with improvements at several key areas. You can't sleep on them now because their defense can certainly play, & Carr the younger is going to do juuuust fine in the NFL.

Their problems are at WR, OL, & DB...but grabbing Amari, & having Carr already playing at a good level without really any skill support is as recipe for a big leap in quality on offense. I keep reading this theme here on ES that goes something like: "a good QB can make all facets better on the offense, & mask other deficiencies."

As for the Browns? Aside from Josh Brown spontaneously combusting, & the Money Manziel show last year, they are a very competitive football team that seems to be better at QB, have a decent, young OL, & show a great Defense that takes away the football. Shelton is going to make it waaaaay more difficult for teams to run on them for years to come.

If i were to provide a candidate to take our mantle, i would lean towards the Bucs, or possibly the Eagles. Believe me when i tell you that there's going to be a **** storm of epic proportions IF Kelley bombs this year. Just watch...if they even so much as stagger out of the gate, they're gonna have such a circus it will be hard to sustain sanity, & then who knows.

As for the Bucs...their fan base may not carry the dunce cap quite as well because they're generally just apathetic & non passionate unless they're winning. Still, i imagine if Winston looks more like first half of games 2014 FSU Winston...then everyone will be calling him "Famous" for all the wrong reasons. With his personality, & failure, i think you have an interesting recipe for entertainment.

Of course...the Eggles, & Bucs could both shine....& then this is all moot. BUT...if we are winning, & the above teams struggle? Yeah...i think we'll be out of the media's eye so quick, you'll wonder why it's so quiet.

Also....big prediction...if we happen to get to winning this year more often than losing, don't expect us to get very much national coverage/praise/respect until we've locked up the Division, & have a bye week in the paloffs. Aside from the odd; "oh look...Cousins is not sucking....so much better than RGIII that guy is! (Insert multiple draft pick/bust joke here)," we won't get a sniff. This is because we're the laughing stock right now. The people's punching bag, if you will. We're not newsworthy unless we're a dumpster fire. The media is not known for eating their words, & they won't suddenly chamge course & start proclaiming how wrong their assumptions, & lazy reporting has been.

So let's just get that thought out of our heads right now so we can try to avoid the incredulous befuddlement at our lack of coverage should this take place.

One thing i do sense though...this team is tired of being a laughing stock. You can sense it. They have undoubtedly talked to each other about the disrespect, & disregard for their efforts to get better, & the bulletin board is full of material.

This team, & its situation, from the QB controversy, to the ousting of a once great iconic head coach just before the righting of the ship, feels oddly similar to the Seahwaks 2012 season where we lost to them in the paloffs.

That team rode on the back of the disrespect trumpet all the way to the 2013 Superbowl.

I'm not necessarily saying that we're 1 year away. ..but that we could be in for a season very much like their first with Russell Wilson at the helm.

The one good thing (maybe) is that Snyder's kids are getting older and he expressed at the time of buying the team that he would love to pass the team on to his kids.

They are 20/17/14.

In a decade they will probably be involved with operating the team. My hope is that since they have lived with nothing but losing their entire lives, (unless Scot works some miracle) they will do everything the exact opposite that dad did

The one good thing (maybe) is that Snyder's kids are getting older and he expressed at the time of buying the team that he would love to pass the team on to his kids.

They are 20/17/14.

In a decade they will probably be involved with operating the team. My hope is that since they have lived with nothing but losing their entire lives, (unless Scot works some miracle) they will do everything the exact opposite that dad did

Kind of like Mark Davis in Oakland, am I right?!

All I have are my memories of my Skins in the Glory Days, I was fortunate enough to see all the Skins superbowls....i still get sick thinking of Rocket Screen in SB18, my fondest memory was the seat cushion rain game , what a sight that was. I keep wishing we get better and consistent......Im still waiting

Of the last 20 years... skins are top 3 worst teams Imo. Just awful.

Few wins. Drafts are a joke. Free agents busts galore... Ownership horrible... Have the biggest bust in the hIstory of the nfl on their roster right now. 3 number 1's and a 2 for what? 14-15 wins in 3 years?

Anytime they get a little success they follow it up with disasters, 96/97-98, 99-2000, 2005-06, 07-08, 2012-13... And are constantly rebuilding..

The team is so afraid to lose and appear inept they are constantly meddling... And still appear inept and lose.

It is so painful and frustrating. I love my team but it seems hopeless. The future is bleak.

They are 20/17/14.

That'd be great. One silver lining. In Dallas the Cowboys have been turned around largely due to Jerry's son, Stephen, having more influence. But of course, Dan's kids could be dumber than Dan.

Not the worst team in pro sports.  That's too subjective.  I would say that the Redskins are definately in the bottom tier of all teams in pro sports. 

We are a couple of years removed from what was nearly a miracle in 2012.  Snyder almost lucked into a deep playoff run in 2012 but RG3 doesn't know how to slide.  Snyder has failed miserabley on every playoff follow up season (2000,2006,2008,2013) and in 2009 the Redskins outdid themselves by losing to the Lions (who were the worst team ever) 

Considering the bust that RG3 turned out to be, 7wins in the last two seasons,removing more seats from FEDEX,  the chaos that exists in the FO and the fact that it took naming Kirk starting QB to fire up the fan base...I would consider the Washington redskins to be the worst team in the NFL.

Other than the turf at FEDEX Field, why would anyone fear playing the Redskins? 

No need to elaborate with big paragraphs, polls, or stats.  After the bs that happened with RG3, I feel like I hear Carrie's mom line in my head...."they are all going to laugh at you"....well they were already laughing.  So is it official; are the Redskins the worst franchise in professional sports?  Be objective, die hard(s), and people that would actually drink the Kool Aide need not respond.

No, they aren't.  

because we consistently field a losing team? ... probably not the worst by that mesasure but certainly depressing

because the owner hired unbelievably unqualified people for monumentally important positions on the staff (e.g., Zorn, Cerrito)?  ... certainly in the discussion

because of all the other crap?  ... no but our local media is absolutely the worst.  They're like some psycho deranged mutt on a too-long leash ... they can not walk past a pile crap without sniffing and chewing and rolling in it.  e.g., this thing with GMSM's wife ... she this and she that ... its like a poorly produced version of TMZ ... when the right thing to do is ... ummm ... hold on let me check sports reporting 101 ... talk about the !@#)%*!)&$^ GAME, the PLAYERS, the SCHEDULE, the PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD ... but no ... they're constantly doing the ol' "look ... some fresh crap ... lets go roll in it"

BAD DOG!

because our home field is at a stadium that ...

... is in the wrong place?  yes

... is a royal pain in the ass to get to and out of?  yes

... has seats so FREAKING SMALL they that would cramp kindergarten kids?  yes

... relies on canned noise blaring at 180+ dB?  yes

... has concessions that offer friendly lending terms?  yes

... sells "obstucted view" seats where the view doesn't include anything between the 10's?  yes

because Larry Michael is the voice of the Redskins?  yes

because our home games have way too many visiting team fans in attendance?  yes

This week? Maybe. On any given day? No.

If we're talking about worst ever? No.

It's been a rough week, but we're not the only sports franchise to go through some scandals and a long losing streak. Not by a long shot.

Hell, the Cardinals have won 2 NFL Championships (pre-SB champions), and they were both over 50 years ago, and they don't go to the SB very often either. Recently they've been to the playoffs semi-regularly. They're also one of the NFL's oldest franchises.

Here are all their accomplishments, in their 82 year history:

- Super Bowl Championships (0)

- NFL Championships (2) - (1925, 1947)

- NFC Conference Champs (1) - (2008)

- Division Champs (6) - NFL West (1947, 1948) - NFC East (1974, 1975) - NFC West (2008, 2009)

- Playoff Appearances (9) - 1947, 1948, 1974, 1975, 1982, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2014

By comparison, here are the Skins accomplishments:

- Super Bowl Championships (3)

- NFL Championships (2)

- Conference Champes (5)

- Division Champs (13)

- Playoff Appearances (23)

I understand people are fed up with the team, but, as far as on the field and the FO decisions directly related to football, things are heading in the right direction (as long as we can keep it together).

Hell, Dallas has a worse history than us off the field. There was a drug ring made up of Dallas players. Or look at Tampa Bay denying the Staph infection that sent one of their players to the hospital for a few weeks.

There have been worse stories, and if this were the 80s, we just wouldn't have heard about it. There were some insane things going on back then too, we just didn't have twitter or the internet. Anyway, the Skins aren't the worst sports franchise, IMO.

No need to elaborate with big paragraphs, polls, or stats.  After the bs that happened with RG3, I feel...

You defended your point with a feeling, I'm using stats and facts. Just how I work.

We are not the worst. But we shouldn't be bragging, "We're number twenty something!" either.

I don't think anyone's bragging. Saying, "We're not as bad as the Cardinals" or "In the last 20 years the Browns and Lions have been WAAAAAAAAY worse than any other team in the NFL", is not bragging. It's just an attempt to answer the question posed by the OP.

Archived