Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins the worst team in professional sports?

boobiemiles

NFL: Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Oakland, Jacksonville

NBA: Philly, Sacramento, Charlotte, Orlando

NHL: Phoenix, Carolina (I don't know enough about hockey to give more)

MLB: Padres, Miami, Arizona,

That's just off the top of my head.

We've been pretty bad for most of the past 2 decades, but I'm a little surprised by the pessimism (though I shouldn't be given my first statement).

Playing the qb who gives us the best chance to win is a good thing. A very good thing. If there's anything to the reports that the team is excited about the changes as if a weight has been lifted off their shoulders-, even better.

Mcloughan has this team going in the right direction earlier than even I thought. Good things are coming. We will be tough and competitive.

Just watch ☺

I think the Marlins have to be pretty far into the lead for worst team in North American pro sports.  Their owner prefers to run a strategy of collecting revenue sharing but getting rid of all talent. 

Their only success occured when they bought a team to get a stadium deal then had a fire sale the next year.  At least with the Redskins, Snyder badly wants to win (he just doesn't understand how to achieve his desires). 

Except they won two World Series in 1997 and 2003.

As a fan I'd be fine with that as long as we got a championship every decade or so.

Amazing that no one has said the Bills. They have the longest playoff drought in the NFL I believe.

But I can definitely see how some might consider us the worst franchise in all of sports. Unlike all the other bad teams, our incompetents is put on full blast year in, year out. No other bad team is the lead story on ESPN or The NFL Network as much as the Skins are. No other bad team plays as many primetime games as us.

With that being said, we are definitely one of the worst run franchises in all of sports.

Let's agree upon a list of franchises that are worse and why. I need something ready to reference next time I have to defend myself against the laughter of others.

I'll start:

The Charlotte Bobcats/now Hornets are worse than Redskins. Why? They've never won a playoff game (swept in their only two playoff appearances) and recently set the record for worst record by winning percentage in the history of their sport. They've only finished above .500 twice, and Jordan is almost as bad an owner as Snyder. They've never drafted an All Star despite picking in the top nine ten times in the past eleven years. And their six different head coaches since the team was created in 2004 are actually two more than the Redskins have had over the same time frame.

Mitigating factor: they've only been a team for 11 years. But even still, they're worse than Snyder's Redskins, nevermind the once proud history of the franchise from before.

So there is one team. Any more?

1029431_o.gif

NFL: Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Oakland, Jacksonville

NBA: Philly, Sacramento, Charlotte, Orlando

NHL: Phoenix, Carolina (I don't know enough about hockey to give more)

MLB: Padres, Miami, Arizona,

That's just off the top of my head.

Carolina Hurricanes have played in two Stanley Cup Finals and won it all once :)

I would switch spots with the Jaguars or Oilers.

The Jaguars have some smart Pakistani's running the team now. The Oilers saw Wayne Gretzky play and just got a stud number 1 pick

Nah man.

Oilers are th worst in sports. This is like their 4th 1st overall pick in like 10 years and they still suck and they have fans revolts every home game

Now Skins definitely have a shot with the Knicks as main competitors

NFL franchises that we are better than...

NYJ

JAX

CLE

TENN

OAK (And its not close)

TB

BUF (even accounting for recent preseason love fest)

So that's over 20% of the league right there we are a better 'pro franchise' than.

The following we are at least even with or probably ahead of:

MINNY

STL

CAR

CINCY

MIA

HOU

ATL

So, that puts us in about the middle.

But, as far as bad stories and drama...We're top 3-5, no doubt.

NFL franchises that we are better than...

NYJ

JAX

CLE

TENN

OAK (And its not close)

TB

BUF (even accounting for recent preseason love fest)

So that's over 20% of the league right there we are a better 'pro franchise' than.

The following we are at least even with or probably ahead of:

MINNY

STL

CAR

CINCY

MIA

HOU

ATL

So, that puts us in about the middle.

But, as far as bad stories and drama...We're top 3-5, no doubt.

Man, I think you are really overrating us.  Are you talking about currently or historically? 

Let's say the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - they won Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003.  That's way more recent than us.

The Jets were in the AFC championship game for two years straight in 2010 and 2011.

The Snyder/Cerrato Skins era was a low-point, especially after Gibbs left. But this teams been to the playoffs a lot more times than some teams in recent history.

And frankly, I see a decent rebuild in process -- I think the Skins can be very competitive fairly soon, maybe as soon as this season.

We just need a liitle continuity in the coaching/gameplan, and a bit of upgrading of the scouting staff. We should continue McCloughan's push for modernization of the training and practice facilities, a bit more investment in the flexibility and strength training and maybe even a new guy to handle the Skins gameday shoes and equipment.

McCloughan's making his mark right away -- and I think you're going to see the old Vinny holdovers continue to get edged out. This is a franchise on the rise again. No quick fixes -- just put in the work for a solid rebuild... and then see what happens!

If this is the worst team in all of sports, why on earth are you wasting your time on them? 86,400 seconds in a day, and I choose to spend many of them reading and posting about this team, my choice is clear, I am glutton for punishment and a stubborn SOB, however that said I will still be here when the curved spine bandwagoneers return in new jerseys from a recent draft pick they profess the savior. 

Man, I think you are really overrating us.  Are you talking about currently or historically? 

Let's say the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - they won Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003.  That's way more recent than us.

The Jets were in the AFC championship game for two years straight in 2010 and 2011.

Historically... And I actually mistakenly left Det out.

The NYJ and TB are by far more a joke than the Skins. 

No need to elaborate with big paragraphs, polls, or stats.  After the bs that happened with RG3, I feel like I hear Carrie's mom line in my head...."they are all going to laugh at you"....well they were already laughing.  So is it official; are the Redskins the worst franchise in professional sports?  Be objective, die hard(s), and people that would actually drink the Kool Aide need not respond.

You might be able to say they were.  I was a die hard fan since I was a kid and that was a long time ago, I think they are finally on the right path.

Professional sport teams all start and ends with the front office and that starts and end with ownership.  And after years and years of Synder not putting together a professional front office with a viable long term plan for success, I finally bailed about 5 years ago.  I still would watch on Sunday, but my heart wasn't in it.

Now Synder has finally got prefessionals running the show and benching RG3 is a sure sign of that. I think the Dan just might finally had figured out what really isn't all that complicated.  Hire professionals and let them do their jobs.

Where they the worst ?  Maybe yes.  Are they now.  NO

Why ?  Because I think Snyder finally gets it.  Took him a while but he new nothing about being a professional sports team owner and by taking on the Skins, he took on a huge task as his first team. I think he heart was in the right place but experience and ego got in the way. He wanted to be the one to fix it and he didn't have the experience to know how.

It still might take another 2-3 years for them to shine but I think they will finally get there now and I will come back and start paying more attension to them again.

Finally, the long nightmaire shoudl be over.  As a reference, I went thought the same things with the Wizards and that changed when Ted took over.  Redskins have the same owner, but his action lead me to believe he will be a new type of owner.

HTTR

Tampa has a .385 franchise winning percentage.

They have 12 winning seasons in the history of the franchise.

Okay...that's a pretty telling stat.

Still, they have won a Super Bowl way more recently than us.  Historically, however, we are certainly better than them.

Carolina Hurricanes have played in two Stanley Cup Finals and won it all once :)

Not to mention the Hurricanes games I've attended have been genuinely pleasant experiences. That counts for something.

Sorry about the Bobcats/Hornets mention but I'm not above picking on the few teams below us on the food chain to divert attention from our embarrassment.

TBH I'm a little surprised no one has brought up the Wizards. But I think the "current" designation saves them. Currently no, they are not worse than the Redskins.

------------------------------------------

Tampa Bay's ownership is also pretty sketchy, and would give Snyder a run for his money if the Glazers weren't so anonymous. They are notoriously cheap and run the team primarily to profit off the revenue sharing.

Truly a reactionary thread. So because we changed our starting QB today we're the worst franchise? I don't think so. We're a poor franchise on many levels but we're not the worst and selecting a QB the coaches think gives us the best chance to win is not a reason to believe we are the worst.

Not to mention the Hurricanes games I've attended have been genuinely pleasant experiences. That counts for something.

Sorry about the Bobcats/Hornets mention but I'm not above picking on the few teams below us on the food chain to divert attention from our embarrassment.

TBH I'm a little surprised no one has brought up the Wizards. But I think the "current" designation saves them. Currently no, they are not worse than the Redskins.

------------------------------------------

Tampa Bay's ownership is also pretty sketchy, and would give Snyder a run for his money if the Glazers weren't so anonymous. They are notoriously cheap and run the team primarily to profit off the revenue sharing.

LOL, it's all good Steve, I laughed when I read your post........then cried some, but that's ok :P

Yes, I would agree if it was 2002. In 2015? Not at all. Redskins are in the better tier of properly run franchises. Never thought I would say that. We are clearly moving in the right direction that will give us a better chance of becoming a consistent contender.

Would you trade Jets ownership/front office with ours?

Archived