Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Cousins to be named starter week 1 against Phins

Commander Chaaarmnder

To even determine if a qb is good after a few starts is insane and nothing short, especially after that same QB put up 74 points in his first 2 games. Cousins has earned the starting QB position, and with a little help from our defense could actually give us a respectable record by the end of this season.

Gruden saw enough after a few starts to yank him and demote him to 3rd string.

Gruden saw enough after a few starts to yank him and demote him to 3rd string.

His benching needs to be taken within the context of the season at that time.  There was a general aura of lukewarm positivity to start the season last year.  The general consensus was that in 2013 we were doomed from the start simply due to RG3's injury in 2012 and obviously slow recovery.  A fan could be forgiven at the beginning of 2014 for believing that RG3 had still been recovering in 2013, which was why he was subpar, and that fully healthy in 2014 (plus a coach more inclined to spreading teams out, shotgun, 3+ WR sets, etc. rather than the read-option gimmick offense of 2012/2013) he would lead us to becoming a respectable 7-9 - 9-7 borderline playoff team.  Before last season, the mentality was that the 2012 Redskins was the "real" us, and that 2013 was a lost season due to injury recovery.

We started the season against the Texans and lost.  But that's just one game.  RG3 "looked good" at the beginning of the Jacksonville game but then got injured.  When the diagnosis came in, and fans realized that he would only be out 6-7 weeks instead of for the whole season, the thought process became, "Ok, Kirk.  Keep us afloat for a few games - keep us around 0.500 so that when RG3 comes back we can make a push for the playoffs."  You will see this mentality in countless threads here on ES during that time.

What people didn't realize at that time was that we were a future 4-12 team and that expecting us to go 0.500 against the likes of Philly (#1 seed in the NFC until Foles injury), Seattle (future Super Bowl runners up), and Arizona (future 11-5 team in the NFC West) was a total joke.  That our future 4-12 team was even in contention during these games should actually have been a pleasant surprise, but at the time our fanbase considered these games winnable.  He also lost against the NY Giants, who looked miserable prior to our game but looked like the greatest show on turf against our defense.

So Gruden yanks him, thinking this guy is holding our future playoff hopes hostage with his "poor" play, not knowing that we never had any playoff hopes to begin with.  Mccoy comes in, wins a fluke against Tennessee and then wins another fluke against Dallas.  We're riding high, and in comes RG3, and we literally don't win another game for nearly 2 months - and that lone game was against the Sanchez Eagles (a 0.500 team) rather than the Foles Eagles (a 6-2 team).

When Gruden benched Cousins, I think he was under the impression that we were actually a borderline playoff team.  The fact was that we were a future 4-12 team who only looked like a somewhat subpar team due to better-than-average QB play.

I just remember thinking that Kirk Cousins looked completely defeated and was on the verge of a total mental breakdown by the time he got benched. 

In fact, I was relieved FOR him when he got benched. Kind of like how I'm relieved FOR Robert right now, as well. 

Sometimes it's detrimental to the guy's development to keep him in. We all assume so quickly that the only way for a QB to develop is to start him, yet all the while you hear the idea of "let them sit for a little bit and learn" being touted as a once glorious past ideal that's been lost to the evils of modern society.

Gruden recently said that you don't want to have a QB carousel, you don't want to have to bench anyone... but that it may have been a good thing for them last year. Maybe without the benching, Kirk continues his mental degradation and becomes completely hopeless within himself. He doesn't work harder all offseason and come back a much more polished QB. 

And who knows where Robert's story goes from here. 

Getting benched does not have to be the end of the world. I think people are too sensitive these days. Remember when Andy Reid benched McNabb, and he was a big baby about it? That guy was an established veteran franchise QB... Reid benched his ass. But he came back strong, wanting to prove everyone wrong. 

The butt hurt was temporary, the success worth it. 

I'm hoping that the running game can keep the defense honest; I know Cousins can pass well enough to back defenses out of stacking against the run.

The real question is how long will it take Morris to click with the new run blocking schemes? I don't want to have Kirk trying to do read option, because this team can't afford the painful decision of which QB goes in if Kirk get dinged up.

Griffin is talented enough to do well for short stretches -- but he really attracts too much punishment. And I don't want the Skins saddled with a $16.1 million cap hit for an inactive QB coasting to free agency.

Fingers crossed here -- for a solid Cousins performance.

PS: I'd note that two of Cousins worst games were against the Giants. And frankly, the number of times that the Skins freakishly implode against the Giants and their "Mara Legion" of referees, I'd want to note that Cousins' poor games just fit in with tradition. Hopefully that changes this year.

I think cousins will do fine...

I think he will do fine too with the following conditions:

1. Run the ball well.

2. Roll him out of pocket (which he is really good at).

3. Use D-Jax to back off coverage.

4 .Def/Special Teams control big plays.

The other part about the receivers causing a bunch of his INT's I strongly disagree with.  Several times I saw DB's sitting and waiting for the ball to hit their chest.  Let's just hope that issue is fixed..according to Jay Gruden it is.

Many people seem to be. Two things are quite clear to me. RG3 has much more potential than Cousins. Two Cousins is mediocre at best, and has done just as bad as RG3 when he has played.

So why wouldn't we start RG3 for the first 5 games, and then give up on him for good if it just looks like he cannot win?

So far we saw him have a great year, then come back from an injury way to soon, then switch to a new scheme, and get injured for a bit as well.

Now the injuries obviously are a concern, but why not give a shot to start year two in the scheme?

This isn't and RG3 Guy Vs Cousins guy BS..... this is just simple logic.

Thank you for that much needed laugh! This is Kirk Cousins team and Robert Griffin will never earn that starting QB position back from him, watch and see. 2012 is long gone and so is that exciting QB who gave us a  very exciting season. We will never see that guy again in Washington and its heart breaking. 

Thank you for that much needed laugh! This is Kirk Cousins team and Robert Griffin will never earn that starting QB position back from him, watch and see. 2012 is long gone and so is that exciting QB who gave us a  very exciting season. We will never see that guy again in Washington and its heart breaking. 

Are you implying that Cousins did better when he was playing? He looked pretty bad, otherwise he wouldn't have been benched for Colt freakin' McCoy. The rest of your post is basically just chest puffing defensiveness in response to someone who you disagree with.

These RG3 fan boy posts are tiresome. Did any of you listen to Gruden's press conference? He mentioned that Kirk took a big leap from year on to two in his system. Griffin DID NOT. Last year is just that. The past. Kirk had some bad stretches but it's over. He also had some very one stretches too, that's over.

Griffin was beat out. That means Kirk played better in practice and the games. Kirk has probably taken well to the QB coach where it didn't really help Griffin.

Also this potential talk with Griffin is old. The only thing right now that he can do better than Kirk is beat him in a 40 and throw it farther. That's it. 2012 is a long time ago in NFL years, some of you need to let it go in the worst way. Griffin is like a girl crush that some of you can't seem to get over.

Given it's received a few posts in the twitter thread, and given those folks who have the penchant of posting on stuff they haven't even read or will bother to click on, and/or reply to posts of the same, here's some excerpts from this morning wapo article (nothing new imv):

“I think, based on all of the evidence, and all the time that we’ve put in, this was not an overnight decision,” Gruden said. “This was a lot of work that we put in over the last year-and-a-half, and based on all of the evidence, it was easy. Kirk really came out here and did everything right, and we feel like he made the biggest jump from a talent standpoint, from a knowledge [standpoint], from a comfort standpoint in our system from Year One to Year Two, and it showed on the game day. So, it wasn’t that hard for us. It was maybe hard for people to grasp, but everybody in the building who saw it and witnessed it, it wasn’t that hard.”

Gruden mentioned the evaluation that took place in practice, in addition to the preseason games. He also reiterated what he said when he first announced Cousins as the starter, which was that the decision had more to do with what Cousins had done than what Robert Griffin III and Colt McCoy failed to do.

Cooley asked Gruden what Cousins, who is 2-7 as a starter and has 19 interceptions in 14 career games, does best.

“We feel like the skill set that Kirk has, he does everything from rolling out of the pocket, he’s very good throwing on the move. In the pocket he’s very good, he has the best arm strength of the group, and can anticipate throws, and he has a good feel for the pocket. So really, when you talk about all the fundamental areas where you need a quarterback to succeed, Kirk is probably better at every one of them. Not to say the other ones are bad, but Kirk’s probably ahead of them in every category.”

Later, Cooley asked Gruden how the Redskins’ quarterback situation has affected the team, and the offense in particular, during the preseason.

“I don’t know if it’s been that tough for them,” Gruden said. “I think If you’re a linebacker, and offensive lineman, you gotta go out and do your job, and that’s the one thing you have to preach, is doing your job and worrying about what you can control. I’ll make the tough decision about who’s starting where and who’s playing when. It’s up to them to go out there and take advantage of their reps and understand that we’re always going to play the one that performs the best, at a consistent rate, and hopefully they understand the only reason we made the choice that we did is because Kirk earned it, and no other reason. There’s no politics involved. Let’s let them go out there, roll the ball out there, who makes the most progress, who completes the most balls, who makes the best decisions, and it was Kirk. And that’s the same at linebacker, DB, offensive line; you have to play well to keep your job.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/08/jay-gruden-says-kirk-cousins-made-redskins-qb-decision-easy/

I think he only gets the 16 million if he's injured.

Right. Griffin only gets the 16m if he is injured or on the 2016 roster. If we cut him prior to 2016 (sometime in March, I think) then none of the money is guaranteed, paid, or has any impact on the cap whatsoever.

I really hope Gruden is right and Cousins has learned to control his turnovers and deal with making mistakes. He seems to be going all-in on Cousins now based on what he is saying. If Cousins fails, Gruden is going to have serious egg on his face and be out of a job pretty quick.

I really hope Gruden is right and Cousins has learned to control his turnovers and deal with making mistakes. He seems to be going all-in on Cousins now based on what he is saying. If Cousins fails, Gruden is going to have serious egg on his face and be out of a job pretty quick.

How??

Because he thinks KC is the best QB on the roster?

This line of thinking makes no sense. It's not like he benched a world beater.

How??

Because he thinks KC is the best QB on the roster?

This line of thinking makes no sense. It's not like he benched a world beater.

Because Cousins is far from a world beater too and Gruden has made some pretty strong statements about him being clearly the best. We all know RG3 is Dan's guy. If Gruden puts all his chips on Cousins and Cousins remains the exact same guy he always has been and we go 4-12 or something like that again, I don't see how Dan keeps Gruden on unless SM has a mancrush on Jay and convinces Dan we need to stick with him.

This seems to be a "its not my system that's the problem, its the QB" situation for Gruden. He gets a chance to prove it now and if Cousins fails again he will fail. If we're terrible again this year I just don't see how SM or Dan keep Gruden. Both would probably want SM to bring in his own hand picked guy.

Archived