Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN:Target to move away from gender-based signs

Zguy28

Target to move away from gender-based signs

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/08/living/gender-based-signs-target-feat/index.html

CNN)Attention Target shoppers: Say goodbye to "girls' building sets" and "boys' bedding."

The big box retailer announced Friday that it will start phasing out gender-based signage in some departments. The shift comes in response to customer feedback that distinguishing between products for girls and boys is unnecessary and maybe even harmful.

Parents and gender equality advocates welcomed the news as a significant step with potential to inspire other retailers.

Oh boy.

Rest at link.

I swear...zoony is the coolest.  Seriously. 

Princess sheets (hey, look for the pink ****)

Star Wars sheets (hey, look for the blue/black ****)

In a Walmart with my mom a few months ago when I was home to visit:

We'd gotten the stuff she needed, I'm in the "clothing" looking for Redskins stuff.

She says,"You're movin' so fast, how do you know what you're looking at?"

Me:  I'm looking for burgundy, gold, or gray (to determine if b/g applies...). 

Mom:  (There were no words.  She damn near fell apart at how well she'd taught me.)

And she was REALLY blown away at how fast I could find something that was my size, a color/graphic that was cool, etc...and keep movin' along.

I said, "I've never had kids.   I can usually get in & out of anywhere reasonably fast."  There was that "hand on the shoulder" moment that boys get from dads.    

Sorry to ramble...I only get to shop with my mom every couple years or so.

I don't think Ima freak out over this but I really respect the move. 

I don't like how my daughter is herded into preconceived gender roles—i.e pink princesses and fairies. My wife has very traditional views but she loves to cook, bake and clean but also is very respected professional in her field with a masters degree. She grew up on a farm so she has no problem butchering an animal. And her favorite hobbies are hunting and fly fishing.

If my kid wants to play with dump trucks or play tools instead of play food in a pretend kitchen I don't think that should be decided for her (subconsciously) by some marketing dept in Minnesota or Arkansas. 

Now labeling the aisles are one thing. Will they just intermingle Doc McStuffins with Transformers? That's the real deal for me. 

I don't think Ima freak out over this but I really respect the move. 

I don't like how my daughter is herded into preconceived gender roles—i.e pink princesses and fairies. My wife has very traditional views but she loves to cook, bake and clean but also is very respected professional in her field with a masters degree. She grew up on a farm so she has no problem butchering an animal. And her favorite hobbies are hunting and fly fishing.

If my kid wants to play with dump trucks or play tools instead of play food in a pretend kitchen I don't think that should be decided for her (subconsciously) by some marketing dept in Minnesota or Arkansas. 

Now labeling the aisles are one thing. Will they just intermingle Doc McStuffins with Transformers? That's the real deal for me.

Hail to you & your family. Good stuff there. Follow & be good at what you do...no matter what/how many kinds of stuff you're into. Create. Be free...BUT...Learn to support yourself.

LOL @ people freaking out about this on Facebook.

Any shift away from the norm with anything gender, race, or sexual preference oriented is met with "This country is becoming too PC!" argument. I love that this seems to be Donald Trumps only platform.

I am entirely against eliminating gender from culture. It's a ridiculous wrong minded goal that seeks to take a short cut to true acceptance and equality through sameness and ambiguity.

And even I could care less about Targets marketing or gendered toys. There is no such thing as a boys or a girls toy and trying to force the issue had given us garish pink trucks. "By their fruits you shall know them".

Archived