Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two movies to choose from, can only watch one...

Movie Poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie should I watch if I can only watch one?

• Tombstone
    • The Big Lebowski

Unforgiven?!

Wow, your credibility in assessing westerns has been completely gutted with that one word.

Oh sure, it was popular with the critics, but a great western it was not.

Tombstone is a flabby Hollywood approximation of a western with an unnecessary love story and one great character (Doc Holliday) and you're giving Unforgiven a hard time?

There's a reason it won Best Picture. Clint knows what he's doing with westerns. That movie works from the inside out, examining the motivations of the broken men underneath all the dirt and grit. Aesthetically, it doesn't FEEL like my favorite westerns, but it's one of the few that really breaks my heart. What a great performance from Clint.

I'd have to look them up because I've avoided anything with the guys name on it since I moved out of my parents house where my sister forced me to sit through over a dozen of his horrible movies. Mostly his 80s and 90s stuff. Nothing after that.

So hold up, you haven't seen the 70s stuff?

Annie Hall, Manhattan and Zelig are awesome. I like Purple Rose of Cairo too, even though it's a little on the cloying side. Woody Allen isn't for everyone, but I like him.

Woody Allen is weird as ****. I dont ever actively try to watch any of his movies.

No,snobbery, but you're missing out on some seriously funny stuff. Not all of his movies were funny, but the ones that were...Holy Toledo.

Not that they're apples to apples, but Woody Allen was like Larry David.....before Larry David.

So hold up, you haven't seen the 70s stuff?

Annie Hall, Manhattan and Zelig are awesome. I like Purple Rose of Cairo too, even though it's a little on the cloying side. Woody Allen isn't for everyone, but I like him.

The man makes me want to magically leap into his movies and kick his ass while screaming "shut up shut up shut up!" I doubt that missing a handful of 70s movies is going to make a person that I find so infuriatingly annoying, less so.

I stand by my dislike of his unfunny annoying little whiney man comedy.

I'd have to look them up because I've avoided anything with the guys name on it since I moved out of my parents house where my sister forced me to sit through over a dozen of his horrible movies. Mostly his 80s and 90s stuff. Nothing after that.

Couldn't agree more. Seen a lot of his '70s films. Kept hearing about his legendary status, kept giving him a chance.I just don't get it.

Tombstone was really good...finally understand what "I'm your huckleberry" means lol. Kilmer nailed the role, definitely. When Ringo told him at the end that he was just joking about "playing for blood"...

Ringo: "I was just foolin' around..."

Doc: (long pause) "...I wasn't."

That was ice-cold lol...Ringo's expression said "Ohhhh, ****."

Kurt Russell had his moments, too. His "Tell 'em the law's coming...tell 'em I'm coming!...and Hell's coming with me!" even had me saying "Alright, alright!...Damn!" lol

The love story, though...blech. Dana Dalany was dull as toast, horrible acting...and the storyline was useless.

Overall, though, enjoyable watch.

The Big Lebowski is next... *thumbsup*

Unforgiven?!

Wow, your credibility in assessing westerns has been completely gutted with that one word.

Oh sure, it was popular with the critics, but a great western it was not.

So then don't watch it as a Western. Watch it as a love story.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-great-love-stories-in-movies-guys_p2/

#1. Western: Unforgiven
Then there's Eastwood's character, Will Munny -- reformed alcoholic, widower and struggling farmer trying to raise his kids. We hear he was a notorious outlaw, but there's no trace of it in his demeanor. He travels the movie fairly unimpressively, showing no particular talent for killing until his friend Ned is murdered and displayed outside the saloon/brothel where the prostitute was brutalized. Munny enters the hostile room of Little Bill and approximately 20 others with his gun drawn and ... wins. He does everything the movie spent two hours explaining couldn't be done. He kills five men, clears the room and remains unscathed.

"So where's the love story, Gladstone?" you ask, and for a moment I'm confused, because I assume you're my wife. But anyone watching the movie has to notice that despite it being all about Munny and cowboys and killing, it starts and ends with narration about Munny's now deceased wife:

She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.

And at the close of the movie:

Some years later, Mrs. Ansonia Feathers made the arduous journey to Hodgeman County, Kansas, to visit the last resting place of her only daughter. William Munny had long since disappeared with the children ... some said to San Francisco where it was rumored he prospered in dry goods. And there was nothing on the marker to explain to Mrs. Feathers why her only daughter had married a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.

That's the whole love story right there.

Unforgiven won Oscars and has better rottentomatoes than either of the movies mentioned.

I was sold such a bill of goods for TGL that I was disappointed in the film.  I expected much more.

*edit* I just saw it a couple of months ago.  It's a little dated so that affects my judgement.

The Big Lebowski was effin' hilarious lol :lol: ...Jeff Bridges was phenomenal.

It had me at this scene lol (slightly nsfw - language):

"It's down there somewhere, lemme take another look..."

Was disappointed in Julianne Moore's performance, though. She's one of my all-time favorites and she didn't do a very good job here imo. Goodman was crazy...good crazy lol. Sam Elliott's moustache deserved co-star billing.

One more scene that had me rollin' lol...

All I could thihk is "My God, this guy is an idiot lol" (again, but in a good, cool way).

The Big Lebowski was effin' hilarious lol :lol: ...Jeff Bridges was phenomenal.

Before every scene, Jeff Bridges would go up and ask the Coens if The Dude lit up a a joint before the scene. If the answer was 'yes', he'd vigorously rub his eyes to get them red.

Archived