Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussin on open carry advocates

mistertim

Me either. But that doesn't mean people are carrying to fight off the government or because they're scared of a boogie man. It's a different culture, for sure.

Just read some of the literature or the comments in articles about it. Most open carry people are seriously anti-government and borderline "sovereign citizen" types. It's actually kinda scary.

Me either. But that doesn't mean people are carrying to fight off the government or because they're scared of a boogie man. It's a different culture, for sure.

I don't necessarily buy the "culture" argument. I knew plenty of people with a hunting rifle in their closet 30 years ago. I probably knew one or two "gun nuts." Now, I have doctors on my Facebook feed posting pictures of themselves at gun shows. It's a new culture that has swept up a ton of people.

That's nothng, in Texas they show up to the state capitol and physically threaten elected officials.

Some of them need threatened...or hung

Open carry has its place, but idiot protestors toting rifles aint it

Concealed carry is great for those with time and money ...till they restrict it more

I don't necessarily buy the "culture" argument. I knew plenty of people with a hunting rifle in their closet 30 years ago. I probably knew one or two "gun nuts." Now, I have doctors on my Facebook feed posting pictures of themselves at gun shows. It's a new culture that has swept up a ton of people.

Check your Facebook friends?

Concealed carry is great for those with time and money ...till they restrict it more

This is what I don't understand. Who is this "They" that are going to restrict anything?

The battle over gun control in this country is over. It's a rout. The NRA has crushed its opponents and salted their fields.

16 states are currently working on legislation to end the need for permits for concealed carry. Illinois allows concealed carry now for God's sake. Within 10 years or so, you probably won't need a permit for concealed carry in the majority of states.

I've totally given up on this issue. You've won, dude. Take a victory lap.

Check your Facebook friends?

It's funny. Though only thing that Brietbart ever said that I agree with is that politics is downstream of culture. (This is currently most evident in how quickly politicians are abandoning the field on gay marriage).

But it happened on the gun rights front too. There are few political organizations that have been as big an abject failure as the Brady Campaign.

In 1986, 30 states did not issue CCW permits at all. Today, that number is 0.

There are currently only 8 states with any kind of restrictions at all.

Somehow, gun collections became trendy, and the politics followed. At least that's my theory. (A weird example: There was a moment for a few years where Opie and Anthony became the G. Gordon Liddy Show because Anthony became such a gun nut).

This is what I don't understand. Who is this "They" that are going to restrict anything?

The battle over gun control in this country is over. It's a rout. The NRA has crushed its opponents and salted their fields.

16 states are currently working on legislation to end the need for permits for concealed carry. Illinois allows concealed carry now for God's sake. Within 10 years or so, you probably won't need a permit for concealed carry in the majority of states.

Yet open carry is not legal here

Need to cut off thier heads and burn thier hearts to be sure they dont return

Somehow, gun collections became trendy, and the politics followed. At least that's my theory. (A weird example: There was a moment for a few years where Opie and Anthony became the G. Gordon Liddy Show because Anthony became such a gun nut).

They are like tattoos. Even the soccer Mom is packing (a tramp stamp).

Yet open carry is not legal here

This is seriously the complaint?

It will happen eventually. It keeps getting hung up in the legislature because police groups are opposed to it and Law and Order Republicans have a hard time passing laws that the police disagree with. But it will eventually get through, I think. And at last Pasadena will be safe thanks to armed patrols of citizens.

They are like tattoos. Even the soccer Mom is packing (a tramp stamp).

The numbers are staggering. CCW permits went from 4 million to around 15 million in less than a decade. And I don't think that includes the 8 states that no longer require permits at all. Everyone in Arizona could be armed right now. I operate under that assumption.

You're making a huge assumption there. I bet there were plenty of shot guns in truck cabs and trunks. Maybe they couldn't carry openly then? I don't know

All bets are assumptions.

I'd lay my dollar on it.

I'd also lay another dollar that they probably did have shotguns and hunting rifles in vehicles back then, and now... but i would also think they were probably not there for the express reason of self-protection like a pistol on the hip.

The notion that the NRA is headed by a corporate shill who's sole desire is to scare the F out of people so they buy guns and vote for politicians who will allow them to buy even more guns is not an assumption at all.

~Bang

The notion that the NRA is headed by a corporate shill who's sole desire is to scare the F out of people so they buy guns and vote for politicians who will allow them to buy even more guns is not an assumption at all.

~Bang

no argument there at all.

And after finding out where lkb is from I'll concede you guys might be right.

Open carry is simply stupid.

Open-Carrying Guy Has His Brand-New Pistol Stolen at Gunpoint

According to the OregonianColeman told cops a 20-something man walked up to the two and asked for a cigarette. When he noticed Coleman's gun, the stranger pulled his own pistol from the waistband of his sweatpants.

"I like your gun, give it to me," Coleman says the robber told him. He complied, and the man walked away with the gun.

They would be the government, the same organization that seeks to restrict any of your rights.

As for the battle, it's far from over. So long as the government can require you to show cause for exercising a right, the battle is not over.

care to elaborate?

Depends on where are, but certain areas have some rather severe restrictions on concealed carry.  Can't carry within so many feet of a government building, school, day care center, public transportation,  establishment that serves alcohol, etc, etc.

Furthermore, many places charge quite a lot of money and require many hours of training to obtain a CHL. Illinois is 16 hours with a certified instructor and a $150 - $300 fee. It makes it difficult for some people (poor people) to obtain it. So they can say they're offering it, but make it extremely difficult to get. Sort of like if in order to vote you had to pay $300 for a special ID and take an education course that took at least an entire weekend.

There are several states that have restrictions like this. They also fall under "may issue," meaning that the applicant has to show why they were applying for a CHL. DC had this, but it was recently ruled unconstitutional as they were simply using it as a reason to refuse anyone a CHL.

They would be the government, the same organization that seeks to restrict any of your rights.

As for the battle, it's far from over. So long as the government can require you to show cause for exercising a right, the battle is not over.

The goal is really for anyone to be able carry at gun at any time with no restrictions?

The bad news is: That's crazy.

The good news is: There will probably be 20 states with 0 restrictions on CCW within the next 5 years. And there will never be a federal law on this matter in our lifetimes.

Open carry. While camping, hiking, working in the country where critters could get ya. OK. In a city? Stupid. A cop in rural areas will likely not bat an eye to see a rancher working his land with a pistol on his hip or a rifle near by. A cop in a suburb of DC (VA/MD) is likely to lose his ****ing mind seeing a homeowner walking around with a pistol on his hip or a rifle on his back. Why? It's not normal. Is it wrong? Technically no, but the only ones doing it are dicks that make gun owners look bad and give the anti-gun crowd ammunition.

That's my 2c.

Open carry. While camping, hiking, working in the country where critters could get ya. OK. In a city? Stupid. A cop in rural areas will likely not bat an eye to see a rancher working his land with a pistol on his hip or a rifle near by. A cop in a suburb of DC (VA/MD) is likely to lose his ****ing mind seeing a homeowner walking around with a pistol on his hip or a rifle on his back. Why? It's not normal. Is it wrong? Technically no, but the only ones doing it are dicks that make gun owners look bad and give the anti-gun crowd ammunition.

That's my 2c.

I agree, but on the other hand denying lawabiding citizens the ability to carry is not right either.

we are not subjects,and it is good to remind the govt at times.

best done at the ballot box though

care to elaborate?

slateman covered it pretty well, it is also racist  ;)

Liberal gun owner here, checking in.

I'd say that the majority of open carrying weirdos and fanatics are just paranoid anti-government rednecks who think that everybody is out to get them, which coincidentally is the last type of person you should want carrying a gun.

Honestly, the second amendment needs to be updated for today's world. "Well regulated militia" and so forth worked well, when you know, there was an actual need for citizen militias. Alas, that was 150 years ago. 

I'll also say that for the average person who isn't an LEO, concealed or open carrying in spots like schools, movie theatres, government buildings, churches, etc., is just beyond stupid.

I agree, but on the other hand denying lawabiding citizens the ability to carry is not right either.

we are not subjects,and it is good to remind the govt at times.

best done at the ballot box though

I don't really get what that means. Are you really willing to shoot a legislature over a tax plan? Or are you just posturing?

Archived