Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most popular athlete in D.C. sports (2015 Edition) (poll)

Sticksboi05

Who is the most popular athlete in D.C as of May 2015?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most popular athlete in D.C as of May 2015? (VOTE TWO)

• John Wall
    • Bryce Harper
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Alex Ovechkin
    • Paul Pierce
    • Bradley Beal
    • Ryan Kerrigan
    • Alfred Morris

If it was performance Ovechkin would be #1 by a mile. But it's not.

I think it also has a lot to do with who is currently playing, and how they are playing. The Nats have the focus now, because they are the only team still playing--which is how the sports coverage should be.

Recency bias plays a part though for sure. Two weeks ago it was probably Wall, maybe Ovie. Two days ago it may have shifted to Harper.

If the Redskins start 7-4 and RG3 is leading the league in TDs, then he of course would vault back up. But right now? No way, dude is way too polarizing. Half the fans can't stand him. He was at a Nats game recently and actually got booed.

Paul Pierce is more popular than any Redskin right now.

Voted Ovi & RGIII. 

Ovi is obvious, damn near close to being close to Modano/Forsberg...those two are the Gods of my hockey world, and nothing will ever change that.

And RGIII is still my hope.  Still the home screen on my phone...my mom was just a little more than impressed when his Elite was "the last shirt I have to wear" on my trip home...LOL, and that was a lie.  I wanted her & the rest of the fam to know that I'm still THERE, even though Mom has gone all "snap" to Rapelisberger & the Welders.)

No offense to welders...I've done it.  But I'll never be happy with my mom's sudden random fandom.  We don't do this.  We stand.  I can't believe she waivered...the woman never does that, I swear.

HTTR!

I voted for Harper, but I think RG3 is still the most popular.

We're looking for most popular and not best. I would think everyone in the area knows who RG3 is. Harper is a close 2nd, but RG3 is the most well known in and out of the area.

I voted for Harper, but I think RG3 is still the most popular.

We're looking for most popular and not best. I would think everyone in the area knows who RG3 is. Harper is a close 2nd, but RG3 is the most well known in and out of the area.

Well I think everyone knows who all these guys are pretty much. Even though Ovechkin is a hockey player I think people forget he's been here the longest out of all these guys. He's been in the newspaper and on ESPN for a decade. Even if you don't like hockey, you know who Ovechkin and Crosby are. Plus he's a 6 foot 2 Russian - he's pretty recognizable.

Well I think everyone knows who all these guys are pretty much. Even though Ovechkin is a hockey player I think people forget he's been here the longest out of all these guys. He's been in the newspaper and on ESPN for a decade. Even if you don't like hockey, you know who Ovechkin and Crosby are. Plus he's a 6 foot 2 Russian - he's pretty recognizable.

True, but if I showed my wife a pic of Ovie, Harper and RG3, she'd probably be able to identify RG3 first out of the group. Again, not saying Ovie isn't great, because IMO he's the best of the bunch, but RG3 is probably more reconginzable than the others.

My question is this popularity of DC athlete worldwide or just in this area?

In the area it is probably Harper at the moment, because he is on fire. If RG3 does anything decent this season it could be him.

Worldwide it is Ovie without a close second. Go to Canada or anywhere in Europe they know all about Ovie and don't have a clue who Harper or RG3 are. Maybe John Wall stands a slight chance for second, because basketball is popular overseas.

Wizards are the least popular team in DC. Probably by a huge margin. Which is a shame because Wall is the real thing and Beal probably is to and basketball is the only sport where that can mean everything. As great as the Nats are, the Wizards are my favorite team and are the most rewarding fan experience for me. 90% of that is Wall and Beal. I think they will win a championship for the city.

That said, Bryce Harper is one of the biggest talents in sports and I've said for three years he's the most talented athlete in DC history. The way he's playing right now... It's really easy to see it.

We probably should define popular

it's way more "fun" if you don't ;)

came in here looking for an ix meltdown.  leaving disappointed.

it's there

you just have to read the i hate chad and lavar and the washingtonian threads first, as mattfancy suggested, ;)

Archived