Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most popular athlete in D.C. sports (2015 Edition) (poll)

Sticksboi05

Who is the most popular athlete in D.C as of May 2015?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most popular athlete in D.C as of May 2015? (VOTE TWO)

• John Wall
    • Bryce Harper
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Alex Ovechkin
    • Paul Pierce
    • Bradley Beal
    • Ryan Kerrigan
    • Alfred Morris

Meh, not going to vote.  Flavor of the month.  It changes from month to month and season to season with "current" athletes.

I'd say John Riggins is the most popular athlete of all time in DC. 

Age demographic plays a huge role. I never saw Riggo play, so I can't say he's my all time favorite. Mine would probably be Ovie, but could easily be Wall or Harper in a few years time.

I will say we are in a bit of a Golden Age when it comes to star power here in D.C. Lots of big names. I remember the late 90s/early 2000s when I think our biggest star was....Peter Bondra? LOL.

Definitely Ovechkin.  Harper is coming on strong though.

The fact that there are three Wizards and only one National on the poll is kind of a disservice though.  Beal and Pierce don't deserve to be on the list IMO.  Might as well include a guy like Tom Wilson.

Joe Jackson Gibbs is the most popular athelte in DC history. Not even close

What sport did he play?

Definitely Ovechkin.  Harper is coming on strong though.

The fact that there are three Wizards and only one National on the poll is kind of a disservice though.  Beal and Pierce don't deserve to be on the list IMO.  Might as well include a guy like Tom Wilson.

What sport did he play?

I've never even heard of Beal or Pierce.

After yesterday, it's RG3. I saw tweets from ESPN, NFL Network, USA Today and all the local news talking about him having a baby. RG3 wins.

I don't think that necessarily makes him the most popular athlete in the area, but he is a presence on social media and polarizing enough that any reporting of him will generate interest.

The people who are picking RG3 are the same ones who will be complaining about how terrible he is when it's October and we're 2-5 and he's throwing for 120 yards and 2 INTs again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived