Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

I doubt Irma hits DC, or Hampton Road for that matter.  Still a looooong ways off for that storm.

The thing about snow in the DC area, for me, is that we have too many cars on the road.  An accident can back up traffic for miles.  Sun glare.  Heavy rain.  Snow is just something that slows everything to a crawl.  If you have the kind of traffic that we do here, there is no way to NOT make it a problem when it starts snowing.  I don't think it's a terrible driver thing, I think it's a high volume thing.

AP EXCLUSIVE: Toxic waste sites flooded in Houston area

HIGHLANDS, Texas (AP) — As Dwight Chandler sipped beer and swept out the thick muck caked inside his devastated home, he worried whether Harvey’s floodwaters had also washed in pollution from the old acid pit just a couple blocks away.

Long a center of the nation’s petrochemical industry, the Houston metro area has more than a dozen Superfund sites, designated by the Environmental Protection Agency as being among America’s most intensely contaminated places. Many are now flooded, with the risk that waters were stirring dangerous sediment.

The Highlands Acid Pit site near Chandler’s home was filled in the 1950s with toxic sludge and sulfuric acid from oil and gas operations. Though 22,000 cubic yards of hazardous waste and soil were excavated from the acid pits in the 1980s, the site is still considered a potential threat to groundwater, and the EPA maintains monitoring wells there.

When he was growing up in Highlands, Chandler, now 62, said he and his friends used to swim in the by-then abandoned pit.

“My daddy talks about having bird dogs down there to run and the acid would eat the pads off their feet,” he recounted on Thursday. “We didn’t know any better.”

The Associated Press surveyed seven Superfund sites in and around Houston during the flooding. All had been inundated with water, in some cases many feet deep.

Click on the link for the full article

officials do controlled burn of six remaining trailers at crosby chemical plant

https://www.apnews.com/31fa924ac62740cb96ee6ac2c4f7a62e?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Three trailers had already caught fire at the plant after backup generators were consumed by Harvey’s floodwaters, which knocked out the refrigeration necessary to keep the chemicals from degrading and catching fire.

Officials said the “proactive measures” to ignite the six remaining trailers wouldn’t pose any additional risk to the community. People living within 1.5 miles of the site remain evacuated.

The fire marshal’s office says state, federal and local agencies will continue monitoring the air, adding that all data to date indicates no impact to air quality.

• Like 1

Great, I am in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.... Trying to get my wife and 10 month old daughter to leave today to head somewhere northwest. I unfortunately cannot leave as I manage country clubs and I need to make sure all of the residents and staff are safe prior to my evacuation... We were supposed to be headed to the Keys for the weekend to celebrate my wifes birthday... that ain't happening!

180 MPH winds makes it the strongest hurricane to form in the atlantic on record.

Should be hitting islands this afternoon...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/09/05/catastrophic-hurricane-irma-now-a-cat-5-is-on-a-collision-course-with-florida/?utm_term=.475bbfc549a5

Hurricane Irma is an “extremely dangerous” Category 5, barreling toward the northern Lesser Antilles and Southern Florida. It’s already the strongest hurricane ever recorded outside the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico, and it’s likely to make landfall somewhere in Florida over the weekend.

With maximum winds of 185 mph, Irma is tied for the second strongest storm ever observed in the Atlantic. And in its Tuesday morning discussion, the National Hurricane Center said the storm is in an environment “ideal for some additional intensification.”