Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For anyone thinking about Irma right now after that GFS run last night ... check out Dave Tolleris (WXRisk) post on it last night. I think the Euro may have supported that crazy GFS run but DT is fairly confident that the models are way off in the direction of the storm. There's apparently not enough to support a Cat 5 re: water temps and especially one that heads inland at NC/VA. It would be the greatest landfall of any storm since 1600 on the east coast and it's just not the type of storm that happens.

It could gain Cat 5 in the open Atlantic but I think it would swerve off the coast and not make a direct landfall. I'll be on OBX from Sept 18-25 so maybe this is me being overly optimistic, but DT is pretty good at what he does and he scoffed at that model run last night.

See what I just posted. I'll see if I can link to DTs post from overnight on it. But this is almost an impossible scenario.

See what I just posted. I'll see if I can link to DTs post from overnight on it. But this is almost an impossible scenario.

I'd love to get the link.

I know it's a long shot of a storm like that hitting land, but the weather is getting scarier and more severe everyday. The impossible is starting to happen. Also why I said "could". I can't begin to imagine a storm like that hitting NYC.

• Like 1

DT (wxrisk guy) is a self righteous asshole but he's correct in that there is zero sense in reading into model runs over a week out for ANY storm, particularly hurricanes. Hurricanes are notoriously difficult to forecast even 3 days out. 

Like I said yesterday, everyone between the Yucatán peninsula and Cape Cod need to keep their eye on this storm at this point.

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

DT (wxrisk guy) is a self righteous asshole but he's correct in that there is zero sense in reading into model runs over a week out for ANY storm, particularly hurricanes. Hurricanes are notoriously difficult to forecast even 3 days out. 

Hah, yeah for sure. He's definitely a punk and a name-caller ... but I tend to like his analysis ... been following him since the 2010 winter weather cycle when he had like 5,000 followers. Now he's in the hundreds of thousands.

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The Tidewater region wants no part of a Cat 4.  It would be devastating.

I was living in Newport news when Isabel hit. It was barely a hurricane, cat 1 I think. It wrecked the whole area badly.

Cat 4 would indeed be devastating. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

I was living in Newport news when Isabel hit. It was barely a hurricane, cat 1 I think. It wrecked the whole area badly.

Cat 4 would indeed be devastating. 

No, Isabel was a good cat 1, if not a low cat 2 when it initially made landfall.  What Matthew did to this area was bad enough last year, and that wasn't even a real hurricane.  I don't even want to imagine what a hurricane of Irma's magnitude would do to us in Hampton Roads.

• Thanks 1

I thought it was cat 2 when it hit the outer banks and weakened significantly by the time it hit the hamton roads area.

Was a long time ago, I was young. Doesn't matter. It just shows a cat 4 could destroy the area in ways that might not be fixable. At the very least it would take a very long time to clean up.

I know this is minor compared to the pain bein suffered in Houston and Bangladesh, but I just want to note that they have been keeping temperature records in San Francisco for over 150 years, and the highest temperature ever recorded here was 103 degrees.  Usually it hovers between 55 and 75.

today it hit 106.  One hundred freaking six.

"so?" You might ask.  "Lots of places get hotter than that...."

well, our houses don't have air conditioning.  Aaaargh  

• Haha 1

I'm not clicking on Anderson Cooper's click-bait tweet out of principle.

There is not a place in Hampton Roads that's more than a mile from the Atlantic, James, York, Chesapeake Bay, Currituck/Albemarle Sound, or a tributary feeding into them.  In addition to that, all of South Hampton Roads is 15 feet above sea level or less.  In addition to that, this is a leafy region with massive deciduous trees standing beside houses in even the oldest and most developed neighborhoods.  In addition to that, it's been raining most of the last week and the ground is saturated.  Yesterday a large, healthy-looking tree fell over, just missing the apartment building beside mine.  We had 28 mph winds yesterday...

Hampton Roads has zero resiliency.  Normal summer rains often put several of the roads in Norfolk under 3-4 feet of water.  A category 4 storm like Harvey with major rainfall would render this region uninhabitable for months and, truth be told, it might never come back.

Thankfully that kind of storm doesn't seem likely to make landfall here.  But Irma looks like it's going to be Isabel all over again.  And Isabel was bad enough.

• Like 1

Another thing the area doesn't deal well with is snow. The tiniest bit (like 1/4") would shut the place down. Too many over passes/bridges/roads in the air that freeze super quick and no one can drive in the snow.

I went to the dmv one day with my roommate and it started snowing and I didn't think we'd make it home :rofl89:

6 hours ago, Predicto said:

I know this is minor compared to the pain bein suffered in Houston and Bangladesh, but I just want to note that they have been keeping temperature records in San Francisco for over 150 years, and the highest temperature ever recorded here was 103 degrees.  Usually it hovers between 55 and 75.

today it hit 106.  One hundred freaking six.

"so?" You might ask.  "Lots of places get hotter than that...."

well, our houses don't have air conditioning.  Aaaargh  

I hear the East and South have a minor cold front coming.

a window unit ac at walmart is like a $100

Maybe some more green spaces would help?

add

never forget to laugh

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Edited by twa