Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

^ My God. Beaumont was already in the 30" to 40" zone from the past 5 days, and the storm is right now spinning over that city.  It's not a small city - population is around 120,000.  I don't know what its susceptibility to flooding is, but it will be sorely testing in the next few days.

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

So I know this is so way down on the scale of significance, but did anybody see the news clip from the reporter who spotted a drenched, shivering possum huddled on a Houston bridge abutment?  Somehow the images of that animal captured all the heartache and other emotions that all Houstonians, human and animal, are going through.

Thanks for tearing my heart out and stomping on it. 

I have porch kitties that are around all the time, and then there's a gigantic white possum that never fails to scare the living **** out of me & put my BP med to the ultimate test occasionally.  I'll try to scream more quietly.  :ols:

In the back of my mind, I've been worrying about follow-up storms.  Irma is wayyyy out there in the Atlantic, but she's developing quickly in to a hurricane.  From this distance, the trajectory is worrisome - but there is a long way to go.

Also, a storm system is trying to develop in the Gulf that has the potential to bring rain during the weekend to the areas affected by Harvey.

17 hours ago, twa said:

bit sensationalist, but informative

Texas chemical plant could explode amid Harvey flooding

As chemicals heat up in a Crosby, Texas, manufacturing plant, a large-scale fire or explosion looks increasingly likely.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/30/crosby-chemical-plant-could-explode-due-harvey-flooding/

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a57276/harvey-longterm-effects/

Item: And this one may be my favorite, which is to say, the one that pushes me under the bed the furthest. On Galveston Island, there is the Galveston National Laboratory, which is part of the University of Texas Medical Branch. This laboratory contains some of the most deadly biological agents found in the known world, many of them of the airborne variety. It contain several Bio-Safety Level 4 labs, which are basically the places where plagues are studied. And here's the thing, as HuffPost explains—nobody knows what's going on there at the moment:

There has been almost no news from Galveston as journalists have reported being blocked from reaching the island because of severe flooding. There has been no reporting at all on the condition of the lab. A call to the laboratory on Tuesday immediately went to voicemail.

2 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

In the back of my mind, I've been worrying about follow-up storms.  Irma is wayyyy out there in the Atlantic, but she's developing quickly in to a hurricane.  From this distance, the trajectory is worrisome - but there is a long way to go.

Also, a storm system is trying to develop in the Gulf that has the potential to bring rain during the weekend to the areas affected by Harvey.

Yeaaaaaah, not so far out for me and pretty terrifying right now. Tomorrow is when it'll be time to begin panicking here.

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a57276/harvey-longterm-effects/

There has been almost no news from Galveston as journalists have reported being blocked from reaching the island because of severe flooding. There has been no reporting at all on the condition of the lab. A call to the laboratory on Tuesday immediately went to voicemail.

That Huffington post page has been taken down too btw. Not freaky at all. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Rain King

Is that what the song is about ? You never can tell, with Adam Duritz...

"I can't go outside, I'm scared, I might not make it home
But I'm alive, but I'm sinking in
If there's anyone home at your place
Why don't you invite me in?

She's been dying
And I've been drinking and I am the rain king "

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

:kickcan:

Irma is worth keeping an eye on especially with how quickly it's intensifying. 

ECMWF model runs have its most likely track being somewhere along the east coast, probably as a major hurricane. Obviously way too far out for an actual forecast, but keep an eye on it in the coming week.

DIkE6lUUIAEnFU4.jpg:large

Edited by skinsfan_1215