Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

The mn shooting makes no sense. The passenger shot from the car, through the driver side window? 

As for the body cams being off... I'm guessing, but a perfectly reasonable explanation is that video consumes a ton of disk space (not to mention the battery required to constantly run) and we know that within a month or two of the body cam trend picking up localities were caught way off guard on what to do with all the footage and how to store it.

Well, maybe I know that an many of you don't because you don't read IT news constantly.

This is a real expensive cost, and shocker government agencies bought a bunch of equipment without accounting for (specifically, budgeting for) the backend requirements to store, process, track, and index the footage. (This is pretty typical of government... "we bought 600 ipads,  now what do we do with them?" No **** that's a meeting that my company was invited to when the ipad became hot)

Anyways, I would bet they told people to turn them off when not actively working a situation (we know Minneapolis pd has said it is a requirement to be on when working a situation) to cut down on the video they had to process/store.

And... wouldn't you know, that makes it super easy for a situation like this to have no recording. They hadn't even exited the vehicle before the trigger was pulled.

Again, just guessing. Not an excuse, it's a tragic situation that makes NO sense, just a possible explanation.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

The mn shooting makes no sense. The passenger shot from the car, through the driver side window? 

As for the body cams being off... I'm guessing, but a perfectly reasonable explanation is that video consumes a ton of disk space (not to mention the battery required to constantly run) and we know that within a month or two of the body cam trend picking up localities were caught way off guard on what to do with all the footage and how to store it.

Well, maybe I know that an many of you don't because you don't read IT news constantly.

This is a real expensive cost, and shocker government agencies bought a bunch of equipment without accounting for (specifically, budgeting for) the backend requirements to store, process, track, and index the footage. (This is pretty typical of government... "we bought 600 ipads,  now what do we do with them?" No **** that's a meeting that my company was invited to when the ipad became hot)

Anyways, I would bet they told people to turn them off when not actively working a situation (we know Minneapolis pd has said it is a requirement to be on when working a situation) to cut down on the video they had to process/store.

And... wouldn't you know, that makes it super easy for a situation like this to have no recording. They hadn't even exited the vehicle before the trigger was pulled.

Again, just guessing. Not an excuse, it's a tragic situation that makes NO sense, just a possible explanation.

And I guess they couldn't possibly use a system like what security cameras do:  

Record everything till the storage is full, then get rid of whatever's oldest, unless there's something important (like a shooting), then you save it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grego said:

Does that mean that if this turns out to be an unjustified shooting, we will see BLM protesting it? 

I think they actually might, BTW. I think it would help that part of the cause. 

They and other black activist orgs have spoken out and protested for unarmed whites who get murdered by the police in the past.

Whats frustrating about your post is you, and people who think like you, put the onus on the victim while not being willing to rally the idiots on the other side.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Larry said:

Record everything till the storage is full, then get rid of whatever's oldest, unless there's something important (like a shooting), then you save it.  

You think it's that easy? When is government policy and new initiatives ever that easy?

They're using the footage for more than just shootings. Someone has to process it. There's probably rules about how long something has to be kept after an interaction, how long after an arrest/trial outcome. 

I imagine it has to be reviewed by a third party.

And let's not pretend local government IT is competent. They're not (from what I have seen)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

They and other black activist orgs have spoken out and protested for unarmed whites who get murdered by the police in the past.

Whats frustrating about your post is you, and people who think like you, put the onus on the victim while not being willing to rally the idiots on the other side.

you claimed blm is about cops shooting all people, not just black people. i havent heard of any blm protests of cops shooting white people. when did this happen? 

9 hours ago, Larry said:

I've worked primarily IT my whole life as well and I've worked with many a security camera system.

Meaning they rarely work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grego said:

you claimed blm is about cops shooting all people, not just black people. i havent heard of any blm protests of cops shooting white people. when did this happen? 

Googled "Black lives matter supporting white victims" and got the below

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fresno-shooting-20160721-snap-story.html

There have been times where they are the only people protesting deaths of white people. It can become muddy, though, when you have other protesters. For example in the case i linked, at the original vigil white people showed up with Confederate flags and signs that said white lives matter. If A group of black people showed up chanting black lives matter what do you think would have happened? Add that we are not talking about just any group of black people. We are talking about BLM who are basically the perceived enemy of all white people on earth. Wouldn't be a good look would it? It takes a little more than just showing up to protest in these cases. So the randoms usually wont be there and without a dedicated leader probably no one would either. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Googled "Black lives matter supporting white victims" and got the below

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fresno-shooting-20160721-snap-story.html

There have been times where they are the only people protesting deaths of white people. It can become muddy, though, when you have other protesters. For example in the case i linked, at the original vigil white people showed up with Confederate flags and signs that said white lives matter. If A group of black people showed up chanting black lives matter what do you think would have happened? Add that we are not talking about just any group of black people. We are talking about BLM who are basically the perceived enemy of all white people on earth. Wouldn't be a good look would it? It takes a little more than just showing up to protest in these cases. So the randoms usually wont be there and without a dedicated leader probably no one would either. 

while i think blm could organize a separate protest, my point has more to do with 2 things - one of which you just mentioned- blms image, and, secondly, the fact that there is much much more to blm than just cops shooting black people. 

you are right that blm is the perceived enemy of white people by alot of folks, there are actual good reasons for that. (calling white people subhuman, genetic defects, segragated events, ets) but, i dont think blm cares that this image exists- it practically goes against the movements philosophy to care what anyone (particularly white people) think. i think its also a kind of double edged sword- the same no ****s given militancy that attracts many to the movement is going to turn off others, and i'm sure thats not an accident.  

from a standpoint of getting their goals accomplished and winning over greater numbers of people, i think they would do well if they at least tried to change the negative perceptions by getting behind all obvious unquestionable bad shootings and police abuse (which any sane person is against to begin with) and embracing more inclusion. because of the political goals of the movement, i dont think its going to happen. 

Edited by grego

33 minutes ago, grego said:

while i think blm could organize a separate protest, my point has more to do with 2 things - one of which you just mentioned- blms image, and, secondly, the fact that there is much much more to blm than just cops shooting black people. 

you are right that blm is the perceived enemy of white people by alot of folks, there are actual good reasons for that. (calling white people subhuman, genetic defects, segragated events, ets) but, i dont think blm cares that this image exists- it practically goes against the movements philosophy to care what anyone (particularly white people) think. i think its also a kind of double edged sword- the same no ****s given militancy that attracts many to the movement is going to turn off others, and i'm sure thats not an accident.  

from a standpoint of getting their goals accomplished and winning over greater numbers of people, i think they would do well if they at least tried to change the negative perceptions by getting behind all obvious unquestionable bad shootings and police abuse (which any sane person is against to begin with) and embracing more inclusion. because of the political goals of the movement, i dont think its going to happen. 

I do agree that the image of BLM could use alot of work and that there is much more to them than police brutality. But outside of that I don't think you understand BLM at all to be honest. Unless you have some proof (that word) that someone who actually holds some sort of standing with the group calling white people subhuman genetic defects you shouldn't put that on them. Thats the kind of thing that would make me take away my support for the group if I knew it was true (so if it is, please share). But I would assume it is not the actual group and people using the name to cause trouble that say crazy crap like that. Sort of like the KKK claiming Christianity. We both know thats a load of ****. But if im wrong please educate me on that one as I need to know that. 

The reality, though, is that Black Lives Matter will never have a positive image. They ****ed that up in the first word. Black is the issue here. Not what they stand for. If you actually go to their website, they advocate for all people. Not black people. In their own words, ALL PEOPLE cannot be free until BLACK people are free. They literally tell you they are fighting for all people but, in their view, the most abused and dehumanized must be saved before we can save anyone else. The people treated the worst must matter, otherwise no one really does. Its a trickle effect. And, again in their view, those people are BLACK. But because stupid people of every color exist, and because the media is very biased (fake news) and because there is very little leadership for the cause, no one really understands these things. And even less want to know. Again, their ideas - or atleast what they want - should be something everyone can get behind. The problem is that they are black and lack leadership. Not anything else. 

They are usually behind the victims in most questionable shootings. I cant say about this most recent case in particular. I have stopped following the movement as closely as I once had, to be honest. Unless things have changed dramatically since I last checked in, which I doubt, you should re-connect with some of what they actually do and believe in. I think you would learn a few things. For example, its pretty much impossible to actually say you support BLM and not support Lesbians, gays, transgenders and pretty much anyone else. Alot of folks dont know that they stand for that. But its part of the trickle down effect i mentioned. Its really a great group and hard to find fault in when you hear the word from them and not people who try and represent them. 

Link: http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

Edit: For fun, this is the image. Its basically propaganda from every source. Think Donald trump and Russias trolls. But now use that same logic and see that there is a consorted effort to make villains of the group. Not excusing the idiot black folk who wear the shirt because its cool and then do something stupid like jump and old white man trying to go to the store. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/BLM_are_terrorists/

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

I have never heard a BLM official say any of those racist things, but I have heard white supremacists, racists, and "confused" white folk call them the KKK, etc.

Like @llevron said, the word "black" is what scares people. Not the group's message. Black is one of the scariest words in America. We had a black president who could not say it because of the reactions white people would have to it.

Like I said before, I am tired of the onus being on oppressed people to convince white people that we should be alive. Its time for white people to show some humanity.

For a easy to understand example - BLACK LIVES MATTER is countered in protest buy ALL LIVES MATTER, WHITE LIVES MATTER and BLUE LIVES MATTER. 

You tell me the superficial difference between the three groups of lives that people are arguing matter, and Ill show you a ****ing racist. 

Edited by Llevron

4 minutes ago, grego said:

Well, this is what I asked for. Im disappointed to read that. Not surprised, she feels that way and I can even justify the science behind it if I try.....but you cant call a group of people genetic defects and then ask for their support of your cause that is already seen as racist. Thats unfortunate. 

And i peeded your PM. I will respond! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

That is a valid criticism of BLM. The structure of the organization lends zealots like Yusra to be detrimental to their cause, and there really isn't anything the other chapters can do about it. 

I agree completely.

But here is the thing, why say that its how all BLM behaves and acts? We say the same thing about police officers murdering, and it gets shouted down with "not all police do this," or "Blue Lives Matter" and other junk.

There is a clear double standard here, and that is what is frustrating. All it does is take away attention. FFS, this whole conversation started with @grego misunderstanding what I said in my original post. What does BLM have to do with this discussion?

• Like 1

Shocking footage from a Baltimore police officer’s body-worn camera appears to show the cop planting drugs at the scene of a crime that officials have confirmed was used to implicate a defendant scheduled to face trial on the charges this week.

In the January 2017 video, Baltimore Police Officer Richard Pinheiro appears to place a bag of pills under some garbage in an alley. He then walks back out to the street, at which point he activates the body camera. But because the cameras are programmed to capture the 30 seconds prior to activation, the officer’s actions before returning from the alley were recorded.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/police-drug-video?bftw&utm_term=.ay14jOa8kl#.iwzQb8Kagp

They need to make these body cams on 24/7. No way police can say they forgot to turn it on. Now they'll just do their dirt and wait 31 seconds. The actions by his fellow officers show this is just part of the job.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Baltimore PD may rival Chicago for the worst ran, and most corrupt police department in the country. 

That is, of course, excluding all the small midwest and southern counties that don't report **** to the FBI or DoJ. 

PG is alot like Bmore..... I know cats they have ****ed over 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Llevron said:

PG is alot like Bmore..... I know cats they have ****ed over 

I live in PG, and I can only recall having one bad experience with one of their officers. I do have friends who could tell you some horror stories though. 

I have been lurking in this thread for a little over a day now and have decided to get off the sideline.

1) As for the Minneapolis fiasco, as tragic as it is, my hope is that this latest shooting tragedy will spur some serious motivation to tackle police brutality in this country.  When I first learned about it, my instinctive reaction was anger.  And as the details trickle in, my anger has morphed into apprehension.  Speaking plainly, a Black Muslim cop killing a White Woman unjustifiably in America can transform a hot-button issue into a nuclear one.  Particularly in that local community.

2) As a result of this latest scenario, I expect that the issue of officer-involved shootings to get far more intense scrutiny going forward.  From my vantage point, it seemed that the general consensus (outside of the Black Community) on these types of shootings has been one of uncomfortable indifference, in the manner of "it's terrible how they're treated, but whaddiya gonna do?"  Until now.  In fact, I agree with what Shaun King of the New York Daily News wrote in his latest Op-Ed.  Perhaps now the general public will be in reform minded mood.

3) As for Black Lives Matter, I support them.  And I also generally agree with @Llevron, @grego, & @BenningRoadSkin at various points throughout the discussion (wassup Benning Road? Iverson Mall, Silver Hill & all o dat!! :)).  But frankly speaking, the out-of-control behavior of police departments throughout the country led to the creation of BLM.  The phenomenon of (typically) Brothers getting sparked on video over and over again is painful and infuriating.  I refuse to watch it.  And in addition to those videos, I've had my share of bad dealings with the  badges too.  That is, I've experienced aggressive police behavior and seen it - several times over the years.  In different states.  And it's typically done with a ****-you-what're-YOU-gonna-do? brand of arrogance.  Before AND after the cellphone camera.

And I don't have a criminal record.  Furthermore, I've never committed a felonious crime, nor have I even been tried for one.  But them boys have sure been on my back.  Just like they've hassled neighbors of mine, coworkers, homeboys...you get the idea.  So when a group folks stand up & shout Black Lives Matter - I know where they're coming from.  And I support 'em.

4) Lastly, I appreciate the dialog taking place in this thread; I really do.  For better or worse, it is on the various message boards on the net where the real conversations take place.  And we can all agree on this, or disagree on that.  But the bottom line is it's largely my demographic that is literally in the crosshairs every day.  

For instance, have you ever woke up in the morning or gotten off work that evening and thought  I could lose the lottery today.

I have.  And that's the difference.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Baltimore PD may rival Chicago for the worst ran, and most corrupt police department in the country. 

That is, of course, excluding all the small midwest and southern counties that don't report **** to the FBI or DoJ. 

What's even more messed up is these guys already know the 30 second timeframe. If you listen at about 55 secs one of the other officer says "hey I just remembered was that 30?" These dudes just lost track of time! I'd be surprised if these guys were fired or reprimanded in any significant way.

• Like 1