Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

if you are a possible witness to a crime police here in Texas can demand your name.address and date of birth , giving false info is a crime.

you can of course refuse, and they can detain you if they choose.

Sounds unconstitutional. Not that they believe in the US Constitution there . . .

The problem with that is not providing your ID is not criminal negligence. Texas ID laws specifically states that a witness to a crime is not required to show ID when requested if they choose not to. Key part of what you posted is an Officer doesnt have authority granted by law to demand ID from a witness, especially since the written law says the exact opposite.

The "you're interfering with my investigation" schtick is a pretty well used catch-all that some police use when they're pissed that someone isn't being as cooperative as they'd like. Its also a way they will sometimes get people to stop (completely legally) video recording them when they're at a stop, etc. Its sort of like "disturbing the peace". If the officer can't get you on one thing or another they will fall back on those catch-alls. Fortunately, if you're smart and are video recording they tend to not do it nearly as much since anyone watching can plainly see that you're doing nothing of the sort.

• Like 2

The "you're interfering with my investigation" schtick is a pretty well used catch-all that some police use when they're pissed that someone isn't being as cooperative as they'd like. Its also a way they will sometimes get people to stop (completely legally) video recording them when they're at a stop, etc. Its sort of like "disturbing the peace". If the officer can't get you on one thing or another they will fall back on those catch-alls. Fortunately, if you're smart and are video recording they tend to not do it nearly as much since anyone watching can plainly see that you're doing nothing of the sort.

Yeah they seem to like the disturbing the peace one for people that open carry. A legal activity cannot be disturbing the peace, just trying to frighten people into compliance.

I will say I have never had a bad run in with the officers I have dealt with, they have always been more than fair with me, not sure if that's just because I live in a small town rural area or what.

The cop doing the forward roll at the beginning of that video is extraordinary.

I would like to know how many Red Bulls he had that morning.

Or how many times he watched "Paul Blart, Mall Cop."

The problem with that is not providing your ID is not criminal negligence. Texas ID laws specifically states that a witness to a crime is not required to show ID when requested if they choose not to. Key part of what you posted is an Officer doesnt have authority granted by law to demand ID from a witness, especially since the written law says the exact opposite.

the officer has the authority to demand it, you have the authority to refuse......the officer then has the option of detaining you if merited

such as a material witness

the girl in this instance was not about ID, it vwas about interference

• Like 1

Yeah they seem to like the disturbing the peace one for people that open carry. A legal activity cannot be disturbing the peace, just trying to frighten people into compliance.

I will say I have never had a bad run in with the officers I have dealt with, they have always been more than fair with me, not sure if that's just because I live in a small town rural area or what.

Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with how you handle yourself and your attitude towards them. You see all these dip****s on youtube who intentionally do things to antagonize cops just so they can get themselves on video telling the cops off or whatever. Its plain stupid and its no wonder the cops get irritated with it. And they also have attitudes from the get go and act anywhere from plain immature to full on aggressive. You can assert your rights and let the officer know you understand your rights without being a jackass about it.

• Like 2

Was this the first time a party in McKinney has ever been broken up? Seriously. Isn't thing basic policing?

I imagine a vast majority of people on here have been to a illegal party (location, alcohol, drugs, etc) that was police broke up. 

In my experience cops never busted in like rambo ready to shoot me. What usually happens is that police show up and everyone runs - just like in this video. That is standard teenage party behavior. The difference is police usually don't give a ****  - they have real things to do that is important. Their main goal is to just break up the party and for folks to go home. So they flash their lights and people run away. Done deal. End of story. 
Edited by Duckus

lol, no every party i was at where people ran when the police showed up, the police started chasing them/us.

you just had to be faster than your buddies :)

Maybe the cops in Richmond in the late 90s early 00's just didn't care. They had murders to take care of.  :lol:

Edited by Duckus

My experience was the cops would come to the door and tell everyone the party is over and to go home. Yeah some people ran if they were sitting outside smoking a joint when the cops rolled up but other than that it was mostly "goddamit, the cops. sigh". The cops mostly didn't want to have to deal with it, but if they get a call they show up and break things up then sit around for a little bit to make sure people are leaving and then move on.

when i was in high school we ran because the cops here would definitely try to get you in trouble.

when i was a freshman in college we ran because we were programmed to run in high school

after freshman year it was like 'lol go chase the freshmen that just ran that way' while we just hung out until the cops got done giving us their little lecture, then they left and we played beer pong again. just a little quieter the second time around.

• Like 1

It seems like for the most part Cops can say anything they want in any situation and some people will simply react by saying "well, if the cops say it you have to do it" whether it is by the law or not. 

Me personally, if a cop asks me to do something I will generally do it mostly due to getting through the situation as hassle-free as possible, but that doesn't mean if I resist or defy a command which happens to be within my rights to do so, that I deserve to be arrested or slammed to the ground or detained, simply because the officer decides to come up with a bogus reason that I present some kind of threat.

• Like 1

I know one should avoid article comment sections at all costs. But I couldn't help myself, had to check them out. Wow....

Geez, you weren't kidding. I went in fully expecting some completely racist nonsense and didn't expect to see someone comment that we should go back to segregation. Dude wants legally segregated communities and schools. Someone snatched him up in the Deloran from 1942. 

• Like 1

Me personally, if a cop asks me to do something I will generally do it mostly due to getting through the situation as hassle-free as possible, but that doesn't mean if I resist or defy a command which happens to be within my rights to do so, that I deserve to be arrested or slammed to the ground or detained, simply because the officer decides to come up with a bogus reason that I present some kind of threat.

Exactly.

It seems like for the most part Cops can say anything they want in any situation and some people will simply react by saying "well, if the cops say it you have to do it" whether it is by the law or not. 

simple question.....did the cop have the power to order the girl to move away and the power to detain her if she did not comply?

That is a separate matter from whether it was the right choice.

Instead of firing them all, maybe it should be harder to become a cop. Maybe you should have to possess basic inteligence and decency before you get a badge and a gun. Crazy idea that just popped in my head.

simple question.....did the cop have the power to order the girl to move away and the power to detain her if she did not comply?

So your point is that it's a personnel issue and not a criminal one?  Isn't the manner in which he detained her, even if he had the right to, a legal issue too?  

That was ridiculously brutal, at least to me, and risked putting his jurisdiction in jeopardy for some serious damages had she been hurt.  That puts some limits on his power, doesn't it?

Edited by KAOSkins

Instead of firing them all, maybe it should be harder to become a cop. Maybe you should have to possess basic inteligence and decency before you get a badge and a gun. Crazy idea that just popped in my head.

works for me, some might consider it discriminatory though..

ya could at least spell it right  :P

Wasn't she walking away when he lost his patience and decided to arrest for no good reason? 

So your point is that it's a personnel issue and not a criminal one?  Isn't the manner in which he detained her, even if he had the right to, a legal issue too?  

That was ridiculously brutal, at least to me, and risked putting his jurisdiction in jeopardy for some serious damages had she been hurt.  That puts some limits on his power, doesn't it?

I have more objection to the decision than the methods, she resisted, ergo more force is needed.

using force tends to be brutal.....I'm sure his jurisdiction wishes he had made better choices :lol:

Wasn't she walking away when he lost his patience and decided to arrest for no good reason? 

answer my question and I'll answer yours

I agree, I've seen the video about three times now and I wince every time he sits on her. She's a small girl in a bikini, at one point he puts his entire body weight on her back, and he's still yelling at her because she's squirming. Well, dumbass, maybe she's squirming because she can't breathe with your fat ass using her as a love seat.

It just seems like there is never a month that goes by where I'm not shocked at police behavior. I watched a video last week where a police officer threw a 8 month pregnant black woman on the ground over a parking space. A ****ing parking space, and he was wearing a body cam that showed just one minute earlier, he admitted to the white woman who called 911 that he couldn't arrest someone over that. 

Edited by Gamebreaker