Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Boy's 'military haircut' spurs suspension threat, outcry

Zguy28

I also think it's ridiculous.  Mainly, because the things that draw attention after a half hour and certainly by the end of the day become normal and then no one is acting or reacting to it.  They're creating more of a fuss than the hair did. I feel pretty much the same about dress as well. Nothing wrong with a little individuality. It's only when we make things absolutely homogeneous that hair color or a t shirt becomes revolutionary. School is a place for experimentation.

Up until I became a teacher at a title 1 school (100 % free lunch) I felt the same about clothes but have kind of changed my opinion.

While a uniform does kill individuality it does prevent situations where for example a kid only has one sweatshirt and has to wear it day in and day out. Kids notice that stuff and conflicts can arise (it also can mark relative wealth within the school which I think is a negative), so having a uniform helps to solve that. It also takes some of the burden of getting new school clothes for kids off families struggling to get by which is also a good thing I think. As long as the uniforms are free and reasonable then I don't have a huge problem with them.

Hair stuff I don't have a problem with and never really got the big deal that some school districts and admins make out of it.

Honestly, this **** pisses me off more than whatever the Duck Dynasty guy said.  Whatever the Duck Dynasty guy said, it's somewhat expected.  Like Bill Burr said in his latest special, what'd you expect from a guy with a beard down to his dick who grew up in a backwoods part of the country in the 50's and 60's?

When adults say stupid stuff like he said, I just roll my eyes, like the Donald Sterling thing last year.   I don't like it, I don't agree with it but I'm not going to run around telling people how offended I am and how wrong it is.  No one gives a crap about my opinion anyway.  

But when people act like this, do things like this, it definitely grinds my gears.  Uptight people more worried about their jobs and their rules and making sure that others know exactly how big their dick is just need to go get ****ed in the neck.

Yeah, I was a public school teacher and we toyed with the idea of a dress code. A lot of teachers were for it. The reason I wasn't was simple. Say you decide your uniform is white collared button down shirt and black slacks. Even something like that is going to have enough variety to get your child picked on. Kids find ways to be mean. It'll be the wrong brand. It'll be the wrong cut. It'll be too tight or too loose.

It does eliminate/reduce some problems, but it really solves nothing.

I guess I'm the odd one here. The dust up over a kid's haircut/clothes/shoes ...whatever is completely unsurprising and has been going on as long as I can remember.

No what bothers me is this....

These sources also tell me the principal is a patriot – someone who supports the military and loves America.

So, it's cool. It's just a misunderstanding because he's "a patriot".

The word sounds more and more like "comrade" or "party member" every day. The words, along with "freedom" and "liberty" have become a battle cry for fanatical right wing tea party types who want to portray themselves as heroes of the movement. If you aren't "a patriot" you must be some kind of commie subversive... 

[/end rant]

Back to your scheduled program...

I think that the tailgate not only harbors a great storehouse of readily available hair-trigger indignation, but we are also masters of being indignant over people showing hair-trigger indignation.  :D

This seems to be one of Zguy's favorite themes when starting new threads. I think he secretly wants to be dignant.  :P

I think that the tailgate not only harbors a great storehouse of readily available hair-trigger indignation, but we are also masters of being indignant over people showing hair-trigger indignation.  :D

This seems to be one of Zguy's favorite themes when starting new threads. I think he secretly wants to be dignant.  :P

Just posting stuff that stimulates conversation. Can I help it that the people in these stories are not so bright most of the time, and therefore generate lively comments?

Up until I became a teacher at a title 1 school (100 % free lunch) I felt the same about clothes but have kind of changed my opinion.

While a uniform does kill individuality it does prevent situations where for example a kid only has one sweatshirt and has to wear it day in and day out. Kids notice that stuff and conflicts can arise (it also can mark relative wealth within the school which I think is a negative), so having a uniform helps to solve that. It also takes some of the burden of getting new school clothes for kids off families struggling to get by which is also a good thing I think. As long as the uniforms are free and reasonable then I don't have a huge problem with them.

Hair stuff I don't have a problem with and never really got the big deal that some school districts and admins make out of it.

Preach on

I DESPISE, I mean DESPISE this "individuality" argument.  God forbid our children express their individualism through their school writing, art classes, and drama clubs.

No, jeans hanging off the crack of their ass and a mohawk.  That kid is special!!!  

#NationOfIdiots

Just posting stuff that stimulates conversation. Can I help it that the people in these stories are not so bright most of the time, and therefore generate lively comments?

Mongo but pawn in game of life.  :lol:

<beer mug clinking smileys>

<edit>

No, jeans hanging off the crack of their ass and a mohawk.  That kid is special!!!  

Is this your subtle way of slamming me for my fashion sense? What's wrong with my Riggins do? Least it's not green. And just keep your eyes off my ass.

doesn't look that much different than a lot of kid's haircuts.

A #1 fade like i used to get my kid would get him suspended these days.

I wonder what the teacher's hairstyles look like?

any shaved heads? Aside from the obvious glare hazard, it's clearly distracticng when someone in the classroom does not look like everyone else.

for that matter, teachers should be of similar height o their students, too.

How about women with short hair? Men with long hair? Easily could cause some sexual identity questions.

And the lesson this kid learned was..  

well, who knows,, being suspended over trivial bull**** tends to make it difficult to learn.

~Bang

School is a place for experimentation.

Experimentation through choice of clothing? Seriously?

How about they focus on learning and developing life skills in school, and 'experiment' in the classes, clubs and other programs where experimentation is on the agenda and, you know, part of a real learning experience.

In your ideal school is art class no more than a group of chimpanzees throwing paint at a wall?

There are too many rules to follow that lead up to decisions like this that put the principal in a rock and a hard place. I'm sure the principal didn't want to administer the punishment, but there's a silly rule on the book that must be followed without any discretion being utilized.

How about they focus on learning and developing life skills in school, and 'experiment' in the classes, clubs and other programs where experimentation is on the agenda and, you know, part of a real learning experience.

In your ideal school is art class no more than a group of chimpanzees throwing paint at a wall?

Preach you Irish sob preach!!!!!

It's very important that teenagers be allowed to attend classes dressed as sad vampires or in skinny jeans with painfully bright sneakers. It's a proven fact that kids in private schools, forced to wear uniforms, lose all traces of individuality. They spend the rest of their lives shopping at Old Navy, The Gap, or Banana Republic.

The private school I went to was pretty strict about hair and dress. If the family already knew of the schools policies, I really don't feel bad. M

It sucks but thems the breaks

Since when is a high and tight haircut extreme?

I understand if it was a Mohawk since that is specifically mentioned, but get real...high and tight is FAR from an extreme haircut...by that reasoning, the people from the 20's were the most extreme people in the history of the world...

Archived