Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I still cant believe they decided he was the best option.  After those weeks of trial runs, they seem to have settled on this lineup for the timebeing.  

The one good thing I'll say about Doc is, there are times where his bottom line approach is applicable. I think in the sports talk radio/social media blogosphere, we over complicate things.  Worrying about the minitaue and over thinking and over analyzing every detail.  Doc doesnt do any of that.  Sometimes it really is just about did you win, or didnt you.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not really.  I still find him empty and honestly don’t enjoy hearing about how tough the teams from 30+ years ago were.

And I don't really need to hear his old buddies from the 80s come on. Coach Gibbs did this, Coach Gibbs did that, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I still cant believe they decided he was the best option.  After those weeks of trial runs, they seem to have settled on this lineup for the timebeing.  

The one good thing I'll say about Doc is, there are times where his bottom line approach is applicable. I think in the sports talk radio/social media blogosphere, we over complicate things.  Worrying about the minitaue and over thinking and over analyzing every detail.  Doc doesnt do any of that.  Sometimes it really is just about did you win, or didnt you.

Right. Now if we could just mix that with X's and O's, just a bit of healthy alarmism, pop culture awareness, and good jokes, you'd be golden.

21 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Eh...if you care about hockey I don't blame you for feeling that way. But most people in this area simply don't care too much. For me and most of those that I know, it was a brief distraction and then out of mind. 

Also, if you're counting the beginning of the playoff run as "fun" then you must enjoy meltdowns. The first few days were just various hosts and fans who don't really know much about hockey claiming that the Caps were once again coming up short and that Trotz, Ovi, etc. should be gone. HA!

That's your demographic, but today's kids, teens and early 20-somethings are not attached to the Redskins the way people were when they were winning under Gibbs. You're already seeing that play out with TV ratings - out of town games beat Redskins games last season. The 80s are over, the Redskins are still firmly No. 1 but they are not the Red Sox of Washington anymore where their dominance is so paramount that second place isn't even worth discussing.

A lot of people can't let go of the 80s though, not that I blame them.

• Like 1

Grant Paulsen has some weird obsession with making fun of Mike Francesa. First of all how many people in D.C. give a damn about Francesa or even know who he is for that matter. Also Mike can be an ass, but the man laid the blueprint for what that beat does for a living, show a little respect. 

I only bring this up because this is the second day in a row that he went on a rant about the guy. 

Edited by spjunkies
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That's your demographic, but today's kids, teens and early 20-somethings are not attached to the Redskins the way people were when they were winning under Gibbs. You're already seeing that play out with TV ratings - out of town games beat Redskins games last season. The 80s are over, the Redskins are still firmly No. 1 but they are not the Red Sox of Washington anymore where their dominance is so paramount that second place isn't even worth discussing.

A lot of people can't let go of the 80s though, not that I blame them.

Are you sure though? 

Are both radio stations operating with nostalgia or ratings in mind? Again, we aren't talking about what TD wants to hear when he tunes in. This started because the format on both local radio stations is Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, then a segment on whichever local sport is in-season. Something tells me they wouldn't be doing that if more people were screaming for analysis of the Caps' third line. 

54 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Grant Paulsen has some weird obsession with making fun of Mike Francesa. First of all how many people in D.C. give a damn about Francesa or even know who he is cor that matter. Also Mike can be an ass, but the man laid the blueprint for what that beat does for a living, show a little respect. 

I only bring this up because this is the second day in a row that he went on a rant about the guy. 

Hate to be that guy again, but he's a fat nerd (likely been that way all his life) with a popular radio show now. Show me a fat nerd with just a smidge of power, and I'll show you a miserable existence for everyone that fat nerd comes into contact with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hate to be that guy again, but he's a fat nerd (likely been that way all his life) with a popular radio show now. Show me a fat nerd with just a smidge of power, and I'll show you a miserable existence for everyone that fat nerd comes into contact with.

I think you have a point. The more time moves on he reminds me of the radio version of John Feinstein.  Guy thinks he knows EVERYTHING!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Are you sure though? 

Are both radio stations operating with nostalgia or ratings in mind? Again, we aren't talking about what TD wants to hear when he tunes in. This started because the format on both local radio stations is Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, then a segment on whichever local sport is in-season. Something tells me they wouldn't be doing that if more people were screaming for analysis of the Caps' third line. 

Like I said, the Redskins are firmly No. 1 largely because the NFL is No. 1 in the U.S. But the impact of them being a failure for 27 years will be felt in the next generation. That doesn't mean they won't still be No. 1 but they are not where they were even 10 years ago, that's just a fact.

15 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Like I said, the Redskins are firmly No. 1 largely because the NFL is No. 1 in the U.S. But the impact of them being a failure for 27 years will be felt in the next generation. That doesn't mean they won't still be No. 1 but they are not where they were even 10 years ago, that's just a fact.

I don't understand your point then. This started with a complaint along the lines of "radio stations should give the people what they want - less Redskins and people need to let go of the 80s" to which I claimed stations follow listeners, not nostalgia. Now we're circling back to "of course the Redskins are #1 but they are losing a little steam and will continue to lose steam in the coming years" to which I don't disagree. 

It still doesn't change the fact that the stations talk Redskins 75% of the time because their listeners want to hear about them. That was my only point. If people were turning off radios or clamoring for Wizards talk, we'd hear it on the radio. ESPECIALLY now that 980 isn't tied to Snyder anymore. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't understand your point then. This started with a complaint along the lines of "radio stations should give the people what they want - less Redskins and people need to let go of the 80s" to which I claimed stations follow listeners, not nostalgia. Now we're circling back to "of course the Redskins are #1 but they are losing a little steam and will continue to lose steam in the coming years" to which I don't disagree. 

It still doesn't change the fact that the stations talk Redskins 75% of the time because their listeners want to hear about them. That was my only point. If people were turning off radios or clamoring for Wizards talk, we'd hear it on the radio. ESPECIALLY now that 980 isn't tied to Snyder anymore. 

I was more just responding specifically to the "my friends seemed to not care long after the Caps won" by simply saying that may be true for your demographic but the younger demographics in D.C. are skewing away from the Redskins that's all. 

I think we can all agree there's no need to waste time talking Wizards until Ernie is fired.

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I was more just responding specifically to the "my friends seemed to not care long after the Caps won" by simply saying that may be true for your demographic but the younger demographics in D.C. are skewing away from the Redskins that's all. 

I think we can all agree there's no need to waste time talking Wizards until Ernie is fired.

I'm sure there's a pocket of younger folks more interested in the Caps and Nats than a generation ago. But I still think there's a gigantic big gap. We don't have to look much further than local TV ratings, etc. When they stack up a Redskin regular season game against a Caps/Nats playoff game, it's pretty telling. 

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm sure there's a pocket of younger folks more interested in the Caps and Nats than a generation ago. But I still think there's a gigantic big gap. We don't have to look much further than local TV ratings, etc. When they stack up a Redskin regular season game against a Caps/Nats playoff game, it's pretty telling. 

I agree there's a big gap, I'm just saying the gap isn't where it was even a few years ago and certainly not 15-20 years ago. And it will shrink as today's kids become adults. Not noticeable now, but in the 2020s and 2030s...well anyway that was my only point. Nobody is arguing the Skins aren't firmly No. 1 today.

I get my fill anyway - the schedule lines up - football ends as hockey season approaches playoff positioning and as we gear up for Spring Training for baseball. If the Nationals ever learned how to win a series maybe they'd control October but oh well.

• Thanks 1

Mike Francesa is the only listenable sports talk show host in America. 

23 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Are you sure though? 

some people think it's okay that 980 and 1067 talk Redskins 24/7

They do this incessantly even in the offseason when they muse about who the Redskins will DRAFT, or how OTA are doing...IN JUNE

THERE'S A BASEBALL SEASON GOING ON

AND YO'URE HERE TALKING ABOUT FREAKING OPTIONAL OTA'S :rofl89::wtf:

Redskins aren't what they was 27 years ago, everyone knows that. But somehow they STILL draw the most fans and still draw the most discussion. As irritating as it can be to not hear about anything other than the Redskins, the radio shows do this because it will "get people to listen". There's a PD somewhere planning with them to bring up talking points. Talk about this, maybe spew a hot take here or there, invite bad callers on who propose ludicrous trade segments ("Trade Josh Norman for Tom Brady") and rinse and repeat. The state of DC Sports Talk has reached levels of where you cannot possibly listen anymore and maintain your sanity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2018 at 3:10 PM, spjunkies said:

I think you have a point. The more time moves on he reminds me of the radio version of John Feinstein.  Guy thinks he knows EVERYTHING!

He has said on a number of occasions: "You think that, I'll go on being right." Such a punchable face, and an ever worse voice.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had to rip my headphones out again just now.  I couldn't take it any longer.  Fatass Grant was eating and smacking his ****ing lips together while on air and after about the 5th time I heard him smack his fat wet lips together it nearly made me break my desk in half.  I had to stop listening for my safety and the safety of my office mates.

Edited by purbeast
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

More fun from the Flag**** station:

I caught some of their interview with a reporter (it was the tail-end) talking about what Mark Lerner said, Grant chimes in proudly and REALLY awkwardly: "Yeah, yeah we know him a little bit too!" It was so desperate sounding, like the fat nerd who was allowed to sit at the cool-kids table in HS.

EB on the Junkies this morning, talking about bits: "Bits are usually saved for late Summer when nothing is going on."

Nothing, EB? At all? Can't think of one thing? Their complete disregard for the Nationals is so annoying.

• Haha 1

It's the heart of the NFL season right now, of course NFL is going to be the #1 talk.  The Redskins were also atop of the division with a 2 game lead 3 weeks ago, and now have 2 QB's break their legs in back to back weeks, which is not normal.  It would be stupid to not to be discussing this stuff.  They also have Alan May come on fairly regularly and discuss the NHL.  Wizards get about as much coverage as the NHL as well.  It's the middle of MLB off season and they have been talking about the talks going on in Vegas right now, so I'm not sure what else you want them to talk about.

Personally I'd be 100% happy if they never talked about MLB or the Nationals anymore.

Edited by purbeast

• 3 weeks later...

How people can listen to Doc Walker regularly is beyond me.  The dude just can't ever shut the **** up.  I have 980 on since 1067 is talking about college football stuff all afternoon and he just had Tarik El Bashir on, and Doc wouldn't shut the hell up.  Tarik would say one thing for like 5 seconds then Doc would talk for like 2 minutes and go on an old man tough guy rant.  This happened like 6-7 times then after him talking for like 3 minutes straight he thanks Tarik for coming on the show.  Tarik sounded like he just wanted to GTFO of there lol.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...