Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I'm a big fan of Czaban.  I've listened to him forever.  Even though Andy would always get on my nerves and he's a weenie, he had great chemistry with Czabe and it made the show work.  I don't agree with both of their opinions a lot, but it was an entertaining show for me and it helps that they're both born and raised in the area.  I'll miss hearing Andy on 980 basically because he's been on the air since i was in high school.  

• Like 1

Czaban on right now and he is sounding like his national show team (Solly, Scott Linn) is reuniting for the show on 980.  Says Loverro, Knoche, Buckhantz will probably not be on much anymore. Mentions that the show will be "at least 40 percent local sports, depending on the season"

• Like 3

Nothing lasts forever. I thought when they brought back Steve and Andy, it would feel like the 1st time around. Or at least closer to the Sports Reporters Back From The Dead Podcast. It really was neither. 

Doesn't help when you bring in Loverro a few days a week to bring an extra dose of unlistenable.

Def feels like they are giving up on the all-local all-day thing. Get Galdi to the show with Czabe. Basically, if they recreated his national AM show. I think it could work. Instead of just taking callers. They do it for segments like "This might be a dumb question" or "How'd you like?". I think it'll be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Yeah, but Pollin and Czaban were as guilty as anyone of ignoring the other local sports teams for the past two decades.

Nah man, in the old days they talked Terps hoops too when Knoche was in studio. 

But this is pretty much the sports formula nowadays. So just don't listen anymore. I listen to shows that actually talk baseball and hockey and college football. Again I love the Redskins , but if you can honestly sit there and tell me you can listen to them talk about Kirk Cousins all day, every day, I don't know what to tell you. 

IX, I think they probably still did talk Terps recently with Knoche, but in general, give the non-Redskins sports teams short shrift. I was amazed the day after the Nats acquired Adam Eaton and Pollin's brilliant insight was "well, I don't know much about him......we'll just have to see how it plays out." It was almost like he hadn't bothered to read an article about Eaton.......it just seemed so lazy.

I've said it before, but I think sports talk shows should follow the "less is more" formula.  I think having multiple hosts in studio detracts from the show for me.......don't like the talking over each other aspect, etc.  A solo host can certainly have multiple guests (like beat writers) to cover the different sports. But otherwise, unlike others, I'm not averse to hearing from callers. I know some on here think they have nothing to add, but I don't see where your garden variety sports talk host has much more insight than Joe Public.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

However, I will forever love Jason Bishop for this clip:I have no idea why this New York loving blowhard jackass is on DC radio every ****ing day.

Jason's not taking any bull**** from that miserable, arrogant half wit is probably the best part of the show. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grego said:

Jason's not taking any bull**** from that miserable, arrogant half wit is probably the best part of the show. 

Feinstein should've had a better humor about it and realized that Lurch was just referring to the crowds, and probably would've asked him the same question if Hillary was being sworn in. I don't think Feinstein likes brash people and I can understand his disdain for Trump, but his touchiness today was ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Feinstein should've had a better humor about it and realized that Lurch was just referring to the crowds, and probably would've asked him the same question if Hillary was being sworn in. I don't think Feinstein likes brash people and I can understand his disdain for Trump, but his touchiness today was ridiculous.

His "All rich white people are assholes, except for me" attitude was his typical pompous jackass attitude. If I could punch one person and not have any consequences...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Their treatment of the Nationals, especially on the "Flagship Station" is awful. However, I will forever love Jason Bishop for this clip:

I have no idea why this New York loving blowhard jackass is on DC radio every ****ing day.

Maybe 5 years ago (maybe longer) Lurch called into Chad Dukes while drunk from a Swee****er and live on air gave him **** for being super sensitive fake sports fan little ****. It was the greatest moment in modern DC radio history. And of course the super sensitive fake sports fan little **** had it completely scrubbed from existence. Lurch will always be a legend just for that. 

Anyway everytime i see this thread bumped and read the posts i saw another thanks to Sirius. What a mess. 

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

I'm not a fan of polin. Respect his historical knowledge, loved the show with czabe, but when he was solo I realized I wasn't really a fan of him.

But listening to the kornerheiser show opening about him really humanized a guy  I haven't ever met. Especially the part about how his time in the are and with everyone in the industry earned him the right to say goodbye and not just be ushered out. Sucks to be let go after putting that much time into a career. I may not be a fan but I do hope he finds a spot somewhere that works well for him.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tshile said:

I'm not a fan of polin. Respect his historical knowledge, loved the show with czabe, but when he was solo I realized I wasn't really a fan of him.

But listening to the kornerheiser show opening about him really humanized a guy  I haven't ever met. Especially the part about how his time in the are and with everyone in the industry earned him the right to say goodbye and not just be ushered out. Sucks to be let go after putting that much time into a career. I may not be a fan but I do hope he finds a spot somewhere that works well for him.

I'd love to pick the brain of the person that made that call.  The only thing I can think of is that they kinda gave him a pseudo goodbye when they scrapped the Sports Reporters the first time.

But to do it unceremoniously on a Thursday, just shy of 25 years, seems lame.

• Like 2

It was a pretty lousy way to let him go. They could have easily made Friday his last day or let him finish out the month. He should have been able to at least have one last show to say goodbye. Having to say his only real goodbye via Twitter sucked. Unless his contract ended on Thursday, someone should have prepped the radio audience in advance that that would be his last show. Ratings are bad, but I wonder what else factored into the decision.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:14 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Galdi and Sheehan are the gems on that station. Hopefully 980 figures out a way to use them as much as possible. 

Having said that, despite Andy being irritating at times, I did love how he remembered nearly everything about the Redskins. He's probably the only on-air personality who could remember seasons, games, scores, etc. the way I feel like I can. By the way, that's not me bragging...I think I have issues. 

I never liked Polun.  And here a dirty little secret: he DIDNT remember everything.  About 1/3 of what he remembered he got wrong, but said it authoritatively enogh, and had Czabe always calling him a history book, nobody questioned him.

i wrote in once when he rambled ON and On about how Gibbs came back and his first move was to trade the first round pick for JC after being out of football for 12 years.  He prattled on about it for 30 minutes.  Why would you trade a 1 for a QB after you'd been out of football for 12 years?

Except he got both the year and point wrong.  Gibbs first pick when he came back was Sean Taylor. JC was picked in his second draft.  Whatever the result of the trade for JC, Polin has the facts all screwed up.  Nobody thought to correct him. And the other hosts just latched onto the point.

all of them completely forgot that Sean Taylor was Gibbs' first pick.  Which seems like something they should have known.

this is just one example.  There are many more.

I haven't listened to the SR once since it came back on the air.  I generally podcast Brad on the way home. 

• Like 1

Terps v Rutgers at home tonight. 

Wizards win last night. 

Caps win last night. 

Skins coordinators news. 

Junkies talking Michael Jordan v Tom Brady for a whole segment. I guess at least its sports and they arent talking about freebies Lurch has gotten, which just leads to guys name dropping barber shops and restaurants and clothing stores. 

Really getting tired of 106.7. It seems they have received some kind of mandate to be as conspiratorial and negative as possible. Yesterday, Danny Rouhier was clamoring we were going in the wrong direction, due to Josh Doctson and the Manusky hire--those were his only reasons. Now this from Fatty Dukes:

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

As much as 980 pissed me iff, I long ago gave up on 106.7. They were infinitely worse. All of them. It'd be my wish it they all went straight to radio hell like Polin. Just blow it all up

I like Sheehan and Cooley on 980. They took some time to get going but their chemistry is pretty solid now.

Jackson with Mitchell and Walker...meh. They can be a little painful to listen to outside of football but Jackson is a solid moderator.

I like Bram Weinstein a lot, I have to say his show is quite good.

Crap just swirls the bowl in some industries

I must say i enjoy Czabin's show much better with Scott Linn and Solly. Czabin was clearly holding back with Aunt Andy in the room.

Much more engaging, better paced, and funny. The three have a good chemistry.

~Bang

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In keeping with the tradition of taking what doesn't work....and trying it themselves. 106.7 is now putting Pollin and Loverro together for a show on Saturday AMs. Why not add Chris Russell and Dan Steinberg....then replace all the talking with a 4 our test of the emergency broadcast signal? 

If Andy is going to find new life on the radio. He needs to be the information and news guy with a show where his opinion isn't what they are looking for. Just the facts. 

• Like 3