Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Said this in another thread: 

I was a Communication/Journalism major. Here are some problems with our "modern" style of reporting:

1) Too much TMZ style reporting. Seems like everyone wants to be the "first" to report it or "sensationalize" it to get people to watch/click/download. Frankly, I don't care who was "first." That's irrelevant. I want truthful facts, not Kardashian reporting.

2) There are no more "unbiased" reporters. They don't follow the Who/What/When/Where/Why/How mantra and back it up with facts. Not only do they don't back anything up with facts, they hide behind their "un-named sources." The job of a reporter/writer is to report the facts without bias. Murrow and Cronkite have rolled in their graves so much, they've probably worn grooves in their caskets.

3) Blogs- Blech! Too many writers have blogs on the side with their "opinions." Hey, earn a few bucks on the side, that's great. Keep the opinions in the blog and out of the columns. When you are reporting about a subject, I don't want nor need your opinion. Your opinion is irrelevant.

There is a difference between being critical and being an outright asshole. A couple things I want from reporters/writers when they talk about my teams:

1) I don't want Larry Michael fluff. It's bad to tow the company line and prop up the club to make it look better than it really is.

2) I don't want over-criticism of the team. Yeah, things are going bad, but just report the facts without opinions and over-grandiose statements that harp on, overblow or make the situation seem worse than it really is.

3) Report the facts and back them up. If the team stinks, I don't want to hear 100% negative news. Even the worst teams have positives going for them. If the team is great, I want to hear about some negative stuff as everyone isn't perfect. Even it up.

I know a lot of people are saying, well, there has been nothing good about the Redskins in 15 years. I disagree. Negativity breeds negativity. The team is trying to turn that around, but the media will not. It's like they live for doom and gloom as do some of our fans. Who wants to read about bad things all the time?

You know why I never watch the news anymore? 90% negative. Really. Watch the news. and keep count of negative stories. Then watch, at the end, they put on some fluff piece about a long lost dog that traveled across country to reunite with a family. Why do I want that in my life? I want to be happy. I avoid every show on ESPN that involves the "opinion" of a sports reporter. It's all garbage.

I used to love Tony Kornheiser's writing in the post, but he turned also when he started doing PTI. Turned into an opinionated asshole like the rest.

Our reporters that cover the team need to change their ways. Again, not asking for lies that prop the team up. Just asking for unbiased, fact reporting coverage. It really is that simple.

• Like 4

Good posts in here. I think Bang is spot on. It is the duty of the beat writers to present facts, and also opinion, but Reid spent years progressively getting more aggressive and bitter with his work. Less facts, more opinion. It's his thing. He did try to personally and professionally humiliate the very entities that he was covering in the first place. It's probably a bad example, but I was just imagining a White House correspondent showing up to the press briefings and antagonizing the press secretary, then later reporting what a buffoon the press secretary is and what an inept scumbag his boss is. You can have those opinions, but you are also expected to report facts, and couch opinions in a professional manner. It used to be what was expected of journalists. Not so much anymore. People want pizzazz,

Man Cave was a terrible show. Good that it didn't air. 

But it's sad to tempt a man, make him quit his job with the allure of a new one, and then cancel on that show. No matter how much of an ass he is. 

Other people already said this but it has to be said again, 980 being a Redskins shill and voice of Dan Snyder is completely inaccurate and anyone who still believes that lie needs to stop listening to 1067 and listen to more 980. It's not like 1067 has anyone worth listening to other than Nats and Caps games. 

Who is Chad Dukes? Who is Grant Paulsen? I never heard of them. Who is Holden Caulfield? This is a station that employed UnWise Mike. How much credibility do they have? 

• Like 1

I remember when Lavar and Chad Dukes got that show. I never listened to a second. It was just a ploy to try to get attention. It's a young network at the time, but in the beginning they had UnWise Mike doing mornings, and Lavar and Dukes in the afternoon. No thanks. 

I'm serious, I know nothing about Grant and Danny or who DAnny is. The only Danny I know is Dan Snyder. Is that Danny? (Maybe it's Cheeseboy Dan Steinberg) 

It's like 1067 is totally on another universe for me, and I don't pay attention to anything they have to say at all. Then people on reddit say I CANNOT TAKE ANYTHING 980 SAYS SERIOUSLY BECAUSE THEY ARE OWNED BY THE REDSKINS. So the **** what. They're owned by the Redskins but if you pay attention to what the hosts say EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is on record as bashing the team and saying they suck, which they do. No one on there sugarcoats ****. So the notion of 980 being homer or a Redskins mouthpiece is completely untrue. And I hope more people realize this because some mook on Reddit said I WILL NOT LISTEN TO THE MOUTHPIECE OF THE REDSKINS 980 I WILL LISTEN TO 1067 BECAUSE I TRUST THEM and got like 15 upvotes. **** 1067 is irrelevant

I have never heard of Danny Rouhier in my life but apparently he is a standup comic so good for him 

10 AM to 2 PM

Mr Tony owns that slot  :lol:

------------

I have in some way or form listened to 980 since senior year of high school. Putting 1067 and nobodies on won't change that. 

Edited by ixcuincle

I like Grant and Danny. They do too much shtick for me, but that's the whole station, aside from that generally I like them.

For those of you who don't know how Chad Dukes got the spot... before the format flip, when 106.7 the fan was a guy talk station, Dukes had a show called The Big O and Dukes Show. They actually still do that show as a podcast. This is just my opinion - but they fit in perfectly. They started as a late night show (7pm and later) and eventually moved to the aferrnoon. They were a perfect fit for 106.7, and had a lot of potential to replace Don and Mike (which were big shoes to fill.) Oscar and Chad balanced pretty well and their segments were funny. I loved listening to that show from the start.

Then 106.7 did a format flip. Oscar wasn't a big sports guy, at least not to the point of being a Sports Talk host, so he walked away. Dukes stayed on to try to make it work - they paired him with Lavar Arrington.

I hated Dukes on that show. Anyways, Lavar eventually left. His show is better now that Lavar is gone, but he's a host that needs a co host to balance him out (in my opinion) and they just don't have it. In addition to that Dukes is just not a smart sports person for a talk show host. He's a shtick and guys talk person. He doesn't have the in depth history of any particular sport. He just doesn't know enough. His claim to fame initially was (essentially): I've been a redskins fan all my life, so sure i'll try hosting a sports talk show in the DC market.

As much as I hate what Chad Dukes is now, I recognize it's not his fault. He was set up to fail and was trying to hold on to what was, originally, a HUGE break for him in his career. I can't fault him for that. It's just not a good position for him. Pairing him with Lavar was a terrible management decision. Having him do what he does now is again, terrible management decision.

Bring back the old 106.7 station. That station was great. This current version of it is just terrible. :(

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

It's what I was saying. 

I don't like 1067. I'll make that clear. But as I said in the other Stadium thread, you have to remember that I have literally spent my whole life in this city. I remember growing up listening to 1067 and Sonny Sam and Frank were doing the game. 1067 and Infinity Broadcasting. Howard Stern in the morning, Don and Mike mid day, Opie and Anthony in the afternoon and Ron and Fez at night. That was a good lineup. Then CBS / Infinity just decided to go all Sports in several markets because they thought Sports Radio was the next big thing. Plus Howard and O&A were leaving for Sirius. So they turn 1067 into a sports station, who do they hire? UnWise Mike. Lavar Arrington. Bill Rohland. Chad Dukes. It's literally people I've never heard of. 

I never did give 1067 a fair chance. I was always 980 because I grew up listening to 1067 for edgy talk and 980 for sports talk. So when 1067 became sports talk too I was like...really...another sports talk station in DC? 

Don't get me wrong I don't listen to 980 as much as I used to. I listen to podcasts now. But one of those podcasts is the Kornheiser show that I can download on my phone. Otherwise I don't really listen as much as I used to. But I do listen occasionally and every time I do listen the hosts are always ripping apart the Skins. I never thought Snyder owning the station was much of an issue. He clearly lets the hosts rip him and his team apart all day. 

Edited by ixcuincle

I get they were trying to reach an African American audience in morning drive. I don't know what to think about that. Regular guests through the years like Kevin Blackistone would have been much better than Jason Reid.

To be honest, if they just played Czab's national show till 9am and then did something local for an hour every more until Tony who I still like and am in my 30's. I think that would work.

I get they were trying to reach an African American audience in morning drive. I don't know what to think about that. Regular guests through the years like Kevin Blackistone would have been much better than Jason Reid.

To be honest, if they just played Czab's national show till 9am and then did something local for an hour every more until Tony who I still like and am in my 30's. I think that would work.

They couldn't do that without dropping one of the other shows on 980 during the day.  This is some of the reason why The Man Cave show got dropped before it could begin, because the higher ups at ESPN Radio require you to either carry Mike & Mike or one of the other daytime national shows to qualify as an ESPN affiliate.  What they could do if they really wanted a local morning show is to create a new show (maybe with Andy Polin & Czabe or Blackistone) and move Mike & Mike to 570, and then move either Tony K.'s show to 570 to swap with The Herd from 10AM-12PM, or they could get rid of B-Mitch & Doc Walker's show and move SVP & Russillo into that 2-4PM slot (I would prefer that, since SVP & Russillo is my favorite sports radio show).

Edited by samy316

related but unrelated... how is the term "man cave" still a thing? 

Part of the lexicon these days. Matter of fact,it's branched out. We now have "Mom Cave."  :) 

Though if these catch on,maybe man cave will be relegated to part time use only. ;) 

http://www.kegworks.com/blog/move-over-man-caves-theres-a-new-trend-on-the-rise-bar-sheds/

Move Over Man Caves – There’s a New Trend on the Rise: Bar Sheds  

I have just the spot for one at my place too. :)  Told the wife that since there's no room for a man cave as of now,a bar shed will work. Being a carpenter,I can build it myself. :)

Now to really derail things and to get myself in a **** load of trouble with the wives of ESer's,I'll suggest an image search for "Bar Shed."  There goes the evening.  ;)

This is just one more embarrassing PR disaster. It just feeds the narriarive that our owner is a thin skinned brat.

Reid might be an ass. He might be a terrible reporter. But that doesn't matter. We were having a great quiet off-season - we just can't get out of our own way.