Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is Chris Culliver

Brokenstriker

Back to football...

Has the team said for sure if he's playing DB?  Cause looking at his background he played a lot of Free Safety in college.

If we sign Cox, I can almost guarantee that one of our corners will be playing FS next year for sure. 

(Side note, I forgot all about his comments about homosexuals. Until I read this post, I forgot it happened lol)

i believe that people can change, because I changed. Watching to see what happens, too, but a $32 million endorsement by GMSM speaks volumes to me.

Add to that, I already feel one of our corners is going to end up at Safety (or at least you'll see a type of rotation and/or formation that gets as many of of them on the field at the same time as possible).

Guys, we have serious weaponry here. Here we have Chris Culliver, a guy who's made his headlines in the past. And Michael Sam is still out there in FA. We could make the world implode. With one phone call, E.S. would melt down, ESPN's satellites would go flying out of orbit into oblivion, and the world would end. We wield a dangerous power. The question is: What should we do with it?

Edit - Oh man, and Tim Tebow could be our third string QB! WE CAN BRING THE WORLD TO ITS KNEES, PEOPLE.

Tebow, Culliver & Sam

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!! Haha

I had concerns with the Culliver signing, especially if it involves a lot of guaranteed money. Here's why:

-- I remember him getting victimized by the Ravens in the SuperBowl, .... I'll have to look at his other games, but that wasn't one of his better games. I'm hoping he got better.

-- One cannot assess his performance in the 2013 season since he was on IR all season with a torn ACL. How well is that injury holding up?

-- Why did the 49'ers decide not to try to retain him during his final year (2014 season)? Team chemistry? Pending legal issues? Declining play? Difficult to coach? Concerns about injuries?

-- His anti-gay remarks (2012 season) and poorly chosen terms about women texted on Instagram (2013) -- I won't debate the issues of freedom of speech, etc -- but at a minimum I see this as a red flag about Culliver's ability to react appropriately in public and about how poorly he manages himself in the media (our press will have a field day, if he ever give any impromptu interviews.)

-- This off-the-field incident, especiallyI learned of all the details about "Hit and Run, Brass-knuckles, driving with expired license, and threatening to hit the bystander who tried to detain him" that came out. I'm not sure about any pending legal ramifications from this incident, but it's certainly not a 'glowing testimonial' for the quality of Culliver's first instincts, his decision-making, or what character traits seem to rise when he's under pressure.

I think some team was eventually going to get a discount on Culliver's contract price because of all his "red-flags" and was hoping that if the Skins signed him, it would be for a modest amount, and not contain much guaranteed money. (Maybe I was worried about Goodell suspending him

Since the Skins eventually did sign Culliver for a big money contract, and a sizable portion of that money was guaranteed -- I now have concerns.

I had concerns with the Culliver signing, especially if it involves a lot of guaranteed money. Here's why:

-- I remember him getting victimized by the Ravens in the SuperBowl, .... I'll have to look at his other games, but that wasn't one of his better games. I'm hoping he got better.

-- One cannot assess his performance in the 2013 season since he was on IR all season with a torn ACL. How well is that injury holding up?

-- Why did the 49'ers decide not to try to retain him during his final year (2014 season)? Team chemistry? Pending legal issues? Declining play? Difficult to coach? Concerns about injuries?

-- His anti-gay remarks (2012 season) and poorly chosen terms about women texted on Instagram (2013) -- I won't debate the issues of freedom of speech, etc -- but at a minimum I see this as a red flag about Culliver's ability to react appropriately in public and about how poorly he manages himself in the media (our press will have a field day, if he ever give any impromptu interviews.)

-- This off-the-field incident, especiallyI learned of all the details about "Hit and Run, Brass-knuckles, driving with expired license, and threatening to hit the bystander who tried to detain him" that came out. I'm not sure about any pending legal ramifications from this incident, but it's certainly not a 'glowing testimonial' for the quality of Culliver's first instincts, his decision-making, or what character traits seem to rise when he's under pressure.

I think some team was eventually going to get a discount on Culliver's contract price because of all his "red-flags" and was hoping that if the Skins signed him, it would be for a modest amount, and not contain much guaranteed money. (Maybe I was worried about Goodell suspending him

Since the Skins eventually did sign Culliver for a big money contract, and a sizable portion of that money was guaranteed -- I now have concerns.

Scot is taking the Seattle Seahawk approach to signing players.. Who cares that they are horrible with the media, they're attitudes and rage translates on the field. We need to get nasty at the Linebacker position. 

Not agreeing with homophobia but at least hes not a criminal or an alleged criminal that beats women or totes guns or runs people over etc etc

"or Totes Guns?" Since when is carrying a firearm a sign of lack of character or sound decision making?

I'm deeply hoping that this kid can bring some more talent to our secondary. No one here (even those heathen gun owners lol) can argue that we didn't need an upgrade over Amersons 2014 season. This move certainly puts us in a better spot to go BPA in the draft. Welcome to the Redskins kid!!

glad we signed this guy, if anything for his masculine view and the courage to speak the truth

Probably best for everyone that you did not come back to defend this idiotic post. 

Man, we can't have choir boys at every spot.  The NFL is loaded with men from rough backgrounds.  It's not like he murdered dogs, murdered humans, knocks girls out, abuses kids, etc..  Hopefully he's matured and won't do anything controversial in the future. 

Wonder if you would feel this way if that guy on the bike was your brother.  Are you even aware of the story?  It's very very disturbing

I hate rooting for guys like this but once the games begin he is a Redskin and I will root for him.  From a football standpoint this was a great move.  Very good player at a huge need position. 

I really don't care at all if he's a bad guy as long as he can play at a high level and doesn't get arrested. We've had plenty of choir boys who sucked. Lets get good football players. We're trying to win football games, not humanitarian awards.

Well said, but I think for most of us, the concern isn't necessarily assembling a team of "bad guys", it's knowing their off-field issues and being willing to take the risk of them missing games due to their misconduct.

I agree that 52 Boy Scouts and a choir boy won't get it done.  But we saw with the Wizards just how damaging knuckheads can be.  The gay slurs are really really annoying but let's face it, that caveman mentality still exists in locker rooms but it's changing.  The hit and run where he hit the bicyclist, drove away, and then threatened the people trying to box him in is much more concerning. This isn't a young man with poor judgement, this is a bad guy.  And I HATE rooting for bad guys. 

Wonder if you would feel this way if that guy on the bike was your brother.  Are you even aware of the story?  It's very very disturbing

I hate rooting for guys like this but once the games begin he is a Redskin and I will root for him.  From a football standpoint this was a great move.  Very good player at a huge need position.

Well, I think most people are more affected by situations when it hits closer home, so yeah, if it was my brother, it would obviously affect me more on a personal level.  That's just human nature.  I'm aware of the story, but I admit that I don't know the full details of it.   

If we can find a choir boy at CB who's better than Culliver, I'm down with that, but I'm not going to lie, I'd rather see an asshole CB who can cover than a good guy who gets torched down field every game. 

Bottom line, whatever happens with the hit and run, he's going to have to deal with it.  I imagine he'll pay a big settlement in the future.  I have to think that our FO has to feel pretty confident that there is no suspension lurking.

Last year our secondary was awful.  If we can get two former 49ers that will upgrade our secondary considerably. This new secondary coach can coach up these young guys and hopefully make a difference.  If we can improve the pass rush with these new defensive linemen then that will also help our secondary.  I watched this GM when he was with the 49ers because I was living there at the time and he signed Willis and Frank Gore for the 49ers.

As a Niner fan, I can tell you that Cully is a very good CB who hasn't even reached his potential. He was the lone FA I didn't want to lose but figured he was gone. Baalke doesn't usually let the players he wants to re-sign, hit the open market so the writing was on the wall.

Cully is built like a safety but runs like a nickelback. He has enough speed to run with just about anyone and is strong with his jam in press that he can disrupt even the best WR's timing. Plays the run very well, though he needs to be better at form tackling. Too often he tries to lay the boom and lower the shoulder instead of wrapping up and taking a guy to the ground. Cully can it overly aggressive on the short stuff and is susceptible to a double move. He also has had problems getting his head around and locating the ball, tho he has gotten better in that regard. This is critical because he'll give up some back-shoulder completions when he's in perfct position to defend the pass. He's got great hands too. Never seen him drop a would-be int. Has very good spacial awareness in zone as well. Breaks on routes with good timing and anticipation. Can play off-man, press-man, and trail. His footwork can get a little sloppy and his technique sometimes is lacking but he's still developing. He has Pro Bowl potential. Maxwell got all the pub, pre-free agency but Cully is better and more versatile, having played both left and right CB for us, as well as some nickelback. He graded out as the #14 CB last year in the entire league, coming off a major knee injury(ACL). He should be even healthier this year. You got get a good one at a very decent price. Congrats.

Well, I think most people are more affected by situations when it hits closer home, so yeah, if it was my brother, it would obviously affect me more on a personal level.  That's just human nature.  I'm aware of the story, but I admit that I don't know the full details of it.   

If we can find a choir boy at CB who's better than Culliver, I'm down with that, but I'm not going to lie, I'd rather see an asshole CB who can cover than a good guy who gets torched down field every game. 

Bottom line, whatever happens with the hit and run, he's going to have to deal with it.  I imagine he'll pay a big settlement in the future.  I have to think that our FO has to feel pretty confident that there is no suspension lurking.

I hear you,  Josh Morgan was a great guy but nobody gives a damn about all the charity work he did.  And as I said come Sunday's I'll be cheering for him just like you will be.   But I just hate to give the guy a total pass for the hit and run of a bicyclist just because he runs a sub 4.4 40. 

As a Niner fan, I can tell you that Cully is a very good CB who hasn't even reached his potential.

He should be even healthier this year. You got get a good one at a very decent price. Congrats.

Thanks for the rundown and good sportsmanship. Appreciate it.

Usually a fan will come in bashing the move and telling us how bad the player was. Thanks for the honest opinion.

Archived