Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is Chris Culliver

Brokenstriker

Do good guys in the locker room tend to win more bowls? 

Rock Thrash Rak the list goes on and on... sadly of failures for us when choosing our players. 

GMSM knows talent and that may be all he knows, but that is exactly what we need.  

I wonder how Barry will use Culliver and his corners. Carlos cushion, or press man and jam. It sounds like he can do both. 

I like the Culliver signing But I'll just say this.. if David Amerson, Deangelo Hall or Breshaud Breeland had this kind of performance in the Super Bowl... you fans would have a totally different take on them than you do Culliver right now.

But you know what? EVERY player in the NFL has had days like that. You can cherry pick one game for every player in the league. What's important about a player is his entire body of work, not just one game. This is why we can't have nice things because no matter what this team does, our fans will find anything to complain about. Jeez.

But you know what? EVERY player in the NFL has had days like that. You can cherry pick one game for every player in the league. What's important about a player is his entire body of work, not just one game. This is why we can't have nice things because no matter what this team does, our fans will find anything to complain about. Jeez.

And I want nice things...especially a nice football team!

HTTR!

I like the Culliver signing But I'll just say this.. if David Amerson, Deangelo Hall or Breshaud Breeland had this kind of performance in the Super Bowl... you fans would have a totally different take on them than you do Culliver right now. 

<EDITED out youtube clip>

Peyton Manning had a god awful Super Bowl last year. Bad games happen.

The way i see it is that you have two types of players that hit FA. Older vets looking for their last contract that can be role players but have already hit their ceiling, and younger players with untapped pontential that were released due to injury or character concerns.

Teams that are close to competing for a deep playoff run sign the savvy veterans like the colts. Teams like us that are rebuilding sign the players like Culliver.

The simple fact is teams dont let young, high character, blue chip players with no injury history hit free agency. You just have to hope that we do our due dillgence and take calculated risks on players like Culliver, which we seem to have done. Some will pan out, some won't. Just like the draft.

HTTR

Peyton Manning had a god awful Super Bowl last year. Bad games happen.

I totally agree.. I wanted everyone to take a well rounded look at Culliver and not hype this kid to the point to where we make him the best CB in the league all of a sudden. My larger point is that everyone who loves this signing now better support this kid even when he has bad games in the fall. And not just Culliver but we should be supporting all of our young players who are clearly talented but have had bad games here or there. As both of you said we are so quick to jump off the bandwagon when we know the players clearly have talent. 

Patience..

At first glance I was a little shocked that we would offer a guy with so many red-flags such a large/lucrative deal, but props to Bruce for the 'fine-print' stuff...  

Cully was given a $5 million signing bonus and $16 million guaranteed, but if he is suspended for even 1 game then the remaining guaranteed stuff is voided.  Also his cap hit is only 4.25 mill this year and although it rockets to 9.25 next year (all guaranteed), we are then able to void his contract in years 3 + 4 if it's not working and save 8 million in cap hits both years.

Gotta love contracts like this and one for Knighton who could potentially be Top-15 talents on our defense.  Pretty awesome!

Cully Contract per ESPN:

Base salary: $3 million 
Cap hit: $4.25 million 
Note: His base salary is fully guaranteed. 

Base salary: $8 million 
Cap hit: $9.25 million 
Note: His base salary is fully guaranteed. There is no cap savings if he were cut with a post-June 1 designation. 

Base salary: $8 million. 
Cap hit: $9.25 million. 
Note: If the Redskins cut Culliver with a post-June 1 designation, they would save $8 million against the cap. 

Base salary: $8 million. 
Cap hit: $9.25 million. 
Note: The Redskins can save $8 million against the salary cap, regardless of when he’s cut.

Not sure I like the Culliver signing other than he fills a need. He really seems like a bad guy. I know NFL locker rooms are not full of Boy Scouts,  but the gay comments and road rage thing is just something that would scare me off.

Maybe its high time we start focusing on the game day performances when targeting players.  People generally eventually mature. Ok men barely, but we usually do. a little. 

But Sean Taylor allegedly pistol whipped a guy he thought stole his vehicle. The wrong guy apparently. Ray Lewis and his stunts. There are many more incidents - too many to list. In the grand scheme of things we see on the daily news, his seem petty. I saw road rage on my way home today on clara barton. Some fanatic flipping out over nothing more than not being able to pass anyone before the inevitable red light ahead. It's very common. As are humans saying PIC things. 

I feel like no matter how hard a GM tries, someone will become their bad apple. Focus on talent, structure the contract accordingly, and move on to the next upgrade we need. 

The contract seemed rich to me but I heard we have an out for future indiscretions. clap.gif

In GMSM we trust. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived