Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest quarterback in NFL history? (poll)

Sticksboi05

Greatest QB in NFL history?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest quarterback of the modern era?

• Tom Brady
    • Peyton Manning
    • Dan Marino
    • John Elway
    • Johnny Unitas
    • Joe Montana
    • Brett Favre
    • Someone else

Montana for me. 4-0 in SBs, 11 TDs and ZERO Ints. Yes, he had the greatest WR in the game, but outside of Rice, who was elite? None of his other WRs were great and most of the TEs in SF were good, not great. RBs? Maybe Roger Craig and briefly Wendell Tyler, but nothing to write home about.

Are people honestly saying that Marino had no one to throw to? Let me throw out a few names: Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, Irving Fryer, Nat Moore, OJ McDuffie to name a few.

Neither of those guys are Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne or Randy Moss

Montana for me. 4-0 in SBs, 11 TDs and ZERO Ints. Yes, he had the greatest WR in the game, but outside of Rice, who was elite? None of his other WRs were great and most of the TEs in SF were good, not great. RBs? Maybe Roger Craig and briefly Wendell Tyler, but nothing to write home about.

Are people honestly saying that Marino had no one to throw to? Let me throw out a few names: Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, Irving Fryer, Nat Moore, OJ McDuffie to name a few.

I guess, but that defense was elite. And of course saying "just Jerry Rice" is a big plus.

Also that system was revolutionary, which cannot be understated.

Also, those WRs became great with Marino. He was throwing to garbage men at the end of his time and still putting up numbers.

The single most impressive quarterbacking feat I ever saw involved Dan Marino on some kind of quarterbacks challenge on Wide World of Sports or something. I dunno. It was some Sunday afternoon show in the summer. Anyway, he was awe-inspiring.

I go with Marino.

Or Dan Pastorini.

But probably Marino.

I always found Roger Craig to be legitimately terrifying.

Anyway, those 49ers teams were just loaded with talent.

But Montana was good.

No Pastorini but he was good.

Bradshaw has the rings and def, derves a top 10 mention. not the best ever but the dude just knew how to win.

You gotta know how to win to be eliite.

The T in ELITE stands for "TO KNOW HOW TO WIN."

The last E, of course, stands for "ELITE."

Also, you need to play within yourself. There is no letter for that for some reason. We need a better word.

Neither of those guys are Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne or Randy Moss

No one is Jerry Rice. But they were all considered great WRs during their years. You can't compare them to receivers today. 80 catches was spectacular in the 80s. That is considered above average now as 100 catches is where the bar is set.

Difficult to say without being able to truly isolate the QB's influence. Brady and Montana were part of teams with two of the best and most innovative coaches of all time. Aaron Rodgers has Mike McCarthy - flip Belichick for McCarthy and the Packers would have won this Super Bowl. 

If Carroll runs the ball that last play and wins, is Tom Brady a worse QB than he was a second before that play? 

No one is Jerry Rice. But they were all considered great WRs during their years. You can't compare them to receivers today. 80 catches was spectacular in the 80s. That is considered above average now as 100 catches is where the bar is set.

I see your point. I'm not saying the guys Marino played with were crap, just that they weren't the quality of WRs the guys I'm comparing Marino too.

i have marino and elway juggling between #1a and #1b.

in both instances they WERE their teams.  the whole team.  Elway gets a lot of extra credit from many (but not so much from me) for teh superbowls he eventually won.  But he was just an adequate QB on very good teams by that time.  he was INCREDIBLE on the broncos teams that lost all of those superbowls in the 80s, and marino was INCREDIBLE during that same time period.  Either one of them could actually make noise with the current deplorable redskins roster... and just about nobody else in the universe could (perhaps Steve Young could, for the short couple of seasons where he totally peaked?)

I came in here to vote for Elway. For exactly the reasons you listed.

Heck, the guy had his receivers complaining because he threw too hard. Hurt their hands.

And scrambling?

I still have really fond memories of a MNF game I watched. Broncos against the Jets. At the time, they were billing themselves as "The New York Sack Exchange".

Elway would take the ball. Drop back 5 steps. And there would be two Jets through the line, before he even stopped dropping back.

And he'd dodge them and make them miss and run around, and eventually, when he's like 20 yards behind LoS, being chased by four defenders, and about to go out of bounds, . . . .

He'd throw a bullet to a receiver who's 20 yards past the LoS, on the opposite sideline, and hit the guy in both hands.

And it would go through the receiver's hands.

I don't think I've ever seen a more glaring example of a superstar QB who just wasn't getting any help from his team, at all.

The Elway who won those two Super Bowls? Was nowhere near as good as the Elway who lost four of em.

It's gotta be Tom.

Who are these Great WR he has?  Moss, the year he didn't win and Welker cost him one.

Gronk may be a HoFer one day, but they has more to do with Tom Brady than anything else.

yeah, Brady's first 3 super bowls were won with no elite offensive talent outside of Corey Dillon.

Gronk is def a HOFer without Brady tho. He a matchup problem. Only ST21 could cover him, imo.

sorry, Marino was great but he never won the big one. He gets a mention in the top 15 but with no rings... no go.

Top 15........you couldn't be further off if you tried.  I hate Marino, but football is the ultimate team sport, he was never surrounded by greatness, mediocre and average running backs, average/good above average WR corps (over the years it varied).  Guy was putting up Madden video game numbers out of the gate in the 80s until he retired.

Putting up 5000+ yards in 1984 was unheard of back then.  It was a defense/run first league.  Not to mention, defensive backs could literally mug receivers and PI was rarely called, much less defensive holding after 5 yards.  Those guys got physical, down and dirty every play.  

Granted, every great QB in that era would benefit from today's rules.  But, to say that he is not top 5-7 is crazy.

Tom Brady currently has the juice

But it will eventually be Aaron Rodgers.

barring an injury.

Glad somebody else said it. 

Right now Brady is the man... but Aaron Rodgers is a freaking MONSTER!!!!

He carved Seattle on one leg and should have beaten them. His team lost, but the way he moved GB into FG ranged in like 30 seconds against Seattle was incredible. If they got the ball back in OT, I bet he would have scored a TD.

But like I said, Brady is the man right now. One thing people don't mention about him is that he pretty much has been getting better as a QB every year since 2001. He always seems to become better. He could probably play 3 more years at a high level. 

vote for Steve Young.    He's the best I ever saw play, and he did it behind some terrible offensive lines that had him running for his life at the moment the ball was snapped.   Led the league in passing year after year while being the best running QB of his time.  Never got the credit he deserved because of the long shadow of Saint Joe Montana, who while great, was also a bit overrated.

Young

Brady

Marino

Manning

Montana

Elway

Aaron Rogers may eventually pass them all.

To be the best you have to have the rings along with regular season stats, IMO. Who cares if you pass for 5,000 yards in a season if you get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs? Winners Win. Its all about the Lombardi.

Brady, Montana are tied at the top. Elway and then a few others.

The Brady Manning debate is OVER.

sorry, Marino was great but he never won the big one. He gets a mention in the top 15 but with no rings... no go.

Bradshaw has the rings and def, derves a top 10 mention. not the best ever but the dude just knew how to win.

Boy, I disagree with almost every word of this post.   It's interesting how people can view the same question and reach such different conclusions.   Bradshaw was a mediocrity who was carried to 4 rings by the greatest collection of talent and dynasty of all time.  For his career, he had as many interceptions as touchdowns, and a career rating of 70.9.   He was never the best QB in football when he played, not even for one season.  He wasn't remotely as good as other QBs of his era, such as Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts or Fran Tarkenton.  He just played on superior teams.

And Marino barely in the top 15.  SMH

... yup, he sure discovered the formula:   surround yourself with the best team-mates (relative to peers) in the superbowl era of the NFL.

So.. i guess what i am saying is that I assume what YOU are saying is that bradshaw should be a lock in discussions of the "greatest of all time" as a mystic ghost GM of sorts?   (that ALSO occasionally played some QB)

I came in here to vote for Elway. For exactly the reasons you listed.

Heck, the guy had his receivers complaining because he threw too hard. Hurt their hands.

And scrambling?

I still have really fond memories of a MNF game I watched. Broncos against the Jets. At the time, they were billing themselves as "The New York Sack Exchange".

Elway would take the ball. Drop back 5 steps. And there would be two Jets through the line, before he even stopped dropping back.

And he'd dodge them and make them miss and run around, and eventually, when he's like 20 yards behind LoS, being chased by four defenders, and about to go out of bounds, . . . .

He'd throw a bullet to a receiver who's 20 yards past the LoS, on the opposite sideline, and hit the guy in both hands.

And it would go through the receiver's hands.

I don't think I've ever seen a more glaring example of a superstar QB who just wasn't getting any help from his team, at all.

The Elway who won those two Super Bowls? Was nowhere near as good as the Elway who lost four of em.

The Three Amigos?

And the Broncos defense carried that team in the 1980s. If you compare their numbers against their peers, Elway looks more like Eli Manning.

Elway made a lot of mistakes and cost them as well. He just wasnt as great as everyone wants to believe.

Also, no Fran Tarkenton?

And the Broncos defense carried that team in the 1980s. If you compare their numbers against their peers, Elway looks more like Eli Manning.

talk about NEVER wanting to be taken serious again..on ANY subject.  Ever. 

(you just pulled the football equivalent of comparing a modern-day american politician to Hitler)

Archived