Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Diddle Diddle, Round the Mulberry Bush, AHHH! The Sky is Falling!

KDawg

The title may seem odd, but it'll all tie in (aside from the hey diddle diddle and round the mulberry bush part... Not sure why I added that...)

I'm not going to use this post to blow smoke up your hind parts and pretend that it's going to come out smelling like freshly cut daisies. But I am going to use this post to communicate that the sky, is not in fact, falling. I know, I know. Crazy talk.

How could I say the sky isn't falling? The Redskins just hired the last guy most Redskin fans wanted... Heck, I don't love the hire myself. So why is any of this good news? Well... It's not. But that doesn't mean it can't work out.

See, and bear with me here... There's more crazy talk coming...

Part of the rinse and repeat nature of this franchise is on our front office woes. Part is on the media. And part is on us as a fan base. Now, I'm certainly not saying that we need to blindly run around pretending like the 'Skins are crapping out Snickers or anything. But what I am saying is that there is a lot of negativity surrounding this franchise. A lot of it. And that attitude, whether they admit it or not, does permeate to the team itself. It manifests itself in the media, in fan interactions with players, in social media where the team most certainly is aware of what's going on. It's all there.

Believe it or not, the general atmosphere will always impact the team. Always. I don't care where you are. If the culture surrounding the team is negative, the team's output is more likely to be negative. I don't have any scientific journal studies to back that up, so I suppose that I should say that's an opinion. But, it's an opinion that is formed through some experience. And of course, the reasonable response is, "winning cures all!" Sure it does. When you win, the atmosphere changes. You begin to get positivity from the fan base.

Don't get confused, I'm not sitting here and saying that every win and loss, or even every season's results are all about culture... But long term viability is certainly an aspect of culture. And it can have an effect on any given game/season. But it doesn't always.

So what's my point?

Well. No one wanted Joe Barry. He was the DC for a Lions team that went 0-16 and ranked 32nd in the NFL in defense in both of his years as a coordinator. But, the head coach also ran the defense on those teams, and his general manager was mired in negativity from the fan base. And if you haven't taken a look at the two rosters he had to work with, I suggest doing that. Wow.

And I dislike the hire myself, and I feel like that's okay. But here's the kicker... Just because it's not the name I wanted doesn't mean it can't work. And it's certainly not Joe Barry's fault that he interviewed well and got hired. Connections or not. He feels like he can do the job.

So while I have my reservations, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not expecting this defense to set the world on fire. But I'm expecting it to be better. Maybe even similar to the Saints D when they went to the Super Bowl. That defense got shredded, but they were a walking turnover machine. Although, I don't expect it to be to that extreme as far as getting shredded or creating as many turnovers, the point is... The guy deserves a chance. He's a human just like all of us. He has some experience.

Manage your expectations. Understand that the defense isn't going to magically turn the corner and be the best defense in the NFL (although, Santa, if you're listening... That would be sweet)... And at the very least, even if you don't love the move have an open mind.

The sky isn't falling. Oh and Bill Callahan :)

Agree K. For once im actually happy we didn't go with the big name hire. What have they done for us in the past? Nothing. 

Im willing to give the guy a chance. As you said those Lions teams were beyond terrible. Maybe he will be great maybe he wont. 

But the key to success will be dependent on whether or not Scot can bring in some talent to help Barry out. 

lump_of_coal03.jpg

But seriously, dude deserves a chance, sure.  I'm going to be more focused on personnel this year anyways. 

We've got a lot of digging to do.  This ain't a one year fix.  We wanted a rebuild, we got one.  Patience, ya'll.

EDIT:  Oh yeah... BTW - he runs a 1-gap 3-4.  Think of him as a younger Wade Phillips with energy.

Good idea coach, but the masses have made up their minds. It's doom and gloom all over again. I tried to batten down the hatches, but now my feet are wet. He's not my guy either, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Why? That's all we've got. You can't change it. For those saying they are done; don't let the door hit ya where good lord split ya. This fanbase is crazy.

Can't agree with this enough.

On paper, it's a highly dubious hire. I can't understand the logic myself, but then I've never worked with the guy or known the truth behind his circumstances, so I don't expect to understand the logic.

Best case scenario? The team finds the guy some talent, he proves that he's capable of using that talent to produce anything upwards of a decent enough defense output and the team trends upwards.

Worst case scenario? He gives us a terrible defense that conceeds a ton of points and loses us games. Much worse than what we had before? No. Only an issue if Jay is otherwise capable of improving the team's fortunes. Otherwise, it won't be long before we see a clearout I would hope.

Boring though it is, I'll play the wait-and-see game, thanks. I'm not exactly excited for the hire, but you shouldn't expect to see me beating my chest proclaiming I knew this would happen all along if he performs as most seem to expect - it's not big, it's not clever and frankly there's not a lot of point.

Well. No one wanted Joe Barry. He was the DC for a Lions team that went 0-16 and ranked 32nd in the NFL in defense in both of his years as a coordinator. But, the head coach also ran the defense on those teams

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice with the exact same excuse in back-to-back years about the dc... well you can't fool me twice.

Willing to give him a chance. Some use the Detroit job to proclaim him a failure already. Who knows what the real role was, probably filled a role similar to McVay here now. Marinelli was probably calling all the shots on defense while Barry occupied a title (DC). There is absolutely more talent on this Defense than was at Detroit as well. He is young, energetic and am pretty certain he wants to redeem himself for past failures. Don't think he came here planning / intending to fail and don't believe Jay hired him hoping to fail either. The only people I see hoping for failure is some fans.

Not thrilled with hire, but I am glad Hazlett is gone and will always hope for the best with the Redskins.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice with the exact same excuse in back-to-back years about the dc... well you can't fool me twice.

Who's fooling you? Or even trying? Did you read the post or are you just so consumed with negativity that you can't see past your dislike for the move?

Who's fooling you? Or even trying? Did you read the post or are you just so consumed with negativity that you can't see past your dislike for the move?

It's more of the same. Heard the exact same reason for Haslett last year. I didn't fall for it then, not falling for it now. Barry's record with linebackers in SD is just as bad, unless you believe the dc took over his job there too. Not consumed with negativity, consumed with reality.

Well I know a lot of people see this as a bad hire and all, but for my family it's good news.  I was planning to take my father (Bills Fan) to see the Bills play in DC this year.  He's pretty excited to see what Rex Ryan can do with that talent on defense.

I just hope the game is after week 5 so we can get the cheap tickets to Fed-Ex like people got this year.

I know plenty of good fans gave their tickets away this season, so maybe I can get really lucky and it will be a week 15 game or something.

Hey, if we can't have a winning team, at least I can save a few bucks, and just about guarantee my Dad has a great day.

That's my bright side.

It's more of the same. Heard the exact same reason for Haslett last year. I didn't fall for it then, not falling for it now. Barry's record with linebackers in SD is just as bad, unless you believe the dc took over his job there too. Not consumed with negativity, consumed with reality.

No one is saying like it.

I don't like it.

All I'm saying is: Give the guy a chance. It's not his fault. That's it. Not trying to convince you he's going to save us or he's any good. Just saying he deserves a chance.

Agree with the OP 100%.

I will also add that my opinion is that any improvement in the defense will be tied far more to what we do in terms of improving defensive personnel than coaching hires. Which is NOT to say the coaching hires are not important.

I'll say this. I read somewhere that Gruden liked this guy not just for his energy and intensity, but also BECAUSE he has dealt with adversity (referring to Barry's remarkably unsuccessful stint with the Lions). Now, I'm no fan of Gruden either, but even he knows the challenge that lies ahead with turning this team around. There are going to be many new, young and hungry players on this defense over the next couple years that this team will be increasingly reliant upon to become the foundation of this defense along with guys like Kerrigan, Breeland and Robinson. I think Gruden is aware that he needs a younger, fiery coach that can best relate to these younger players and one that understands what it's like to fail, get back up and turn things around in short order. Maybe that is why a more accomplished candidate like Phillips wasn't hired, or maybe it was because Gruden didn't want to be looking over his shoulder if things didn't improve, maybe it's both (then again, Gruden is on a guaranteed 5 year deal)

Gruden on Barry:

"He’s walking into a situation here where we’re going to have some adversity and I know he can handle it. He’s a tough guy, committed guy, a loyal guy, and I think he’s good fit for us. Other coaches have had some rough patches in their careers, too. It’s not just him. Every guy we interviewed, there’s been a season or two that haven’t been perfect. It’s how you react that makes you a better coach.”

As the OP said, I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig here, I'm just trying to make sense of the thought process that went into this hire. It had to be something other than just his resume (obviously) and it can't all be due to former Tampa Bay ties. Then again that sure seemed to play a role in Gruden's level of comfort with Barry and comfort-level and compatibility are key components when assembling a coaching staff, that cannot be overlooked.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/01/20/jay-gruden-explains-why-he-feels-joe-barry-is-the-best-fit-for-redskins/?postshare=7131421788441764

My opinion is it might be a good hire for one and only one reason, and speculative at this point.  Barry is a younger guy.  I expect the defense to be gutted.  Out will be Bowen, Cofield, Ryan Clark, Kedric Golston, and I suspect D Hall.  In will be an influx of youth and rebuilding.  This wont be your old Redskins defense anymore.

We will be trending towards youth and a total rebuild.  From the way it sounds, Barry is a great communicator and technician.

Those looking for a winning season this year might be disappointed.  This year is all about starting over.  Barry is here to bond with the influx of youth.

No one is saying like it.

I don't like it.

All I'm saying is: Give the guy a chance. It's not his fault. That's it. Not trying to convince you he's going to save us or he's any good. Just saying he deserves a chance.

He's getting his chance whether any of us like it or not, but I'm rooting against him. And it's not specifically him, but the whole coaching staff. I'm excited about the thought of an honest to god gm hiring his coach here. That's the silver lining to me.

Maybe it's negative, but it's reality. This coaching staff will never win anything. I'm positive on the future, just not 2015.

He's getting his chance whether any of us like it or not, but I'm rooting against him. .

That's an interesting take. I've never been able to root against the Skins... Even when I saw a silver lining in losing for draft picks... I always enjoy winning.

I hope the team turns out awesome. And if it doesn't, there is some solace in the fact we'll likely be rebuilding the staff. But first and foremost, I want success.

Great post - I was thinking about making a thread like this but figured it'd just be hijacked with repetitive posts of 'he had the worst defense in the league the 2 years he was a coordinator and one of those years was when the lions went 0-16' without actually looking at it from any other angle.

:applause: As usual you're a breath of fresh air KD, the veritable wheat amongst the chaff, the rose among the rubble, the maven amid the morons............

And as usual, you'll be utterly drowned out by the bleating herd that believes volume=substance. You have my sympathies.

Archived