Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Diddle Diddle, Round the Mulberry Bush, AHHH! The Sky is Falling!

KDawg

That argument of hiring only buddies is really getting old.

The first 3 guys he got here have no connections at all with the Buccs.

McVay was already in the squad when he came.

And 6 days after he's hired he brings him Kotwica and Baker, the next day he brings back Olivadotti.

Whom he never worked with before.

This year he just hired Bill Callahan, which he never worked before but Callahan did work with Kotwica for the Jets.

Now the argument is being Barry got the job because they used to work together.

Fact is, out of 5 coach hiring, he only had one tie with any of them prior to this.

You're gonna tell me that he used to work with all coordinators, maybe, but it's hardly an ongoing process.

I think a piece of sky just hit me in the head. Didn't want to lose Baker. Outside linebackers were the one area of this team that actually exceeded expectations.

Source plz?

I wasn't aware of the Baker thing. Having said that, who knows what extent the 3-4 OLBs will be used in this new scheme. For instance, in a hybrid 3-4 scheme, one of the outside backers is really a DE 98% of the time. If that's the route we're going, we probably won't have an outside backers coach. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kirk Olivadotti take on all the backers.

Think Mario Williams with Buffalo.

im not sure if you've been paying attention to the state of the franchise the last couple years, but the sky has already fallen and we've been getting doses of acid rain.

one thing I like about the berry hire though is the motivational factor. if I were severely handcuffed at my job and/or just performed poorly, I'd be chomping at the bit to prove everyone wrong.

rooting against someone who has yet to suit up in Redskins gear... 

Now that's something I could never do.  I want the Skins to win even when it costs us in the draft, like the Eagles win.

What's the difference though, really?  Our root-too-tooting has gotten us 7 wins in the last 2 years.

I wish so bad I could be like a reverse redskin fan.  Never root for the other team, just be happy that the Skins lose most weeks.  It doesn't work though, I tried.

But for some of those who aren't buying in and are especially intense about it, reading their posts I get the vibe that most of that is wrapped up in their feelings about Jay as opposed to Barry directly.

Personally I am hoping that Jay Gruden is here for a long time, I was thinking a proven veteran DC that's not going to fall for every damn banana in the tailpipe would be a stabilizing piece.  

I was hoping Jay would have a dominant D that he could lean on while we figured out the QB situation and build the roster up. 

When you have two babies changing each other's diapers, you're going to get **** everywhere.

I just read a lot of dreamland posts. .lmao..just because the fan base is negative. .this joe barry hire is going to work. Please spare me..all ive seen is Bruce Allen screwing the pooch up like normal..the only thing that might get us to a winning record three years down the road is Scot finally building a talented enough roster to overcome Bruce Allen and his stupidity.

If you're right, hey, that's okay. We'll get an entire new staff.

If you're wrong, hey, that's okay. We're a good football team!

I see so much potential for wins I see images of Charlie Sheen dancing in my head.

Kdawg,  you are a brave man to try and bridge the gap between outrage and hope. I appreciate the humor you are attempting to create here. For many of us this team is just too important . We have been together longer than our longest jobs , current wives or girlfriends even parents and it has been joyous and dismal-Dismal f or a long time my friend. Most of my ranting was done yesterday so I was more ready for reality this morning.

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick..." We got a taste in 2012 and again in Philly. We , as fans, were excited about the personnel addition .I  am not sure we can really call him more than that- yet . Allen hired Scott Mc. Allen hired Gruden .Didn't Allen hire Haslett? The "Buddy" system is the Allen System and now he has taught it to Jay. How can we keep Scott and get rid of Allen? If we do indeed tank Detroit style we be back in the same place next year or more than likely the year after that because the new guys haven't really had a chance yet." I do not find that optimistic and it has absolutely nothing to do with Barry as a DC. This hire was not merit based. Callahan's was. Haslett's wasn't. Jay's wasn't because Bruce's wasn't . As fans we are frustrated by these arranged marriages disguised as job interviews. This is not Pop Warner football and we aren't paying Pop Warner prices.

If the "Blind date" is ugly just tell us so. Explain that she's your sister and is 'easy' to get along with and free Friday night on short notice. Heck, Charlie Sheen would understand that much. Unfortunately most of us are in a bad marriage that we have been in -forever- where our one time soulmate keeps making the same mistakes again and again then looks at us like we are the problem. Makes one feel like half a man. WE still love her but she is still fat, stubborn and stupid and we are thinking that.we can change things if we holler enough.

I was drumming to get Gruden out of here but only because I thought that's the only way Bruce would relinquish the role of a GM.

Now that the Skins have a good personnel guy coaches should be the last thing on anyone's mind. Once the Skins get some talent in here to go 8 - 8 for a couple of years then we can talk about coaches.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This team is probably 3 years away from winning at least 8 games in a season.

How about this chicken (fill in the blank): the chargers have drafted 6 linebackers in the first two rounds over the past 6 years. Comparitively we've had only 7 picks TOTAL in the first two rounds over that same time period. Not a single one of those 6 linebackers played well under barry. You have that much talent drafted to your unit and none of them play well? You can ignore the situation in Detroit completely and still have signs showing that Barry isn't very good at his job.

Explain yourself here. I hate when people just claim things with no back up.

I can only see where they drafted 5 LBs in the first two rounds

Larry English, 1st rounder, plagued by injuries his entire career. The games he was actually able to play he stunk.

We will include Donald Butler. 3rd rounder. Under Barry, became a team captain, 96 tackles his rookie year, 77 in 12 games second year, 84 in 13 games last year, 73 in 14 games this year before hitting the IR. 

Jonas Mouton, 61st overall, 2 torn ACLs, waived.

Melvin Ingram. 1st rounder. Injury issues, 5 sacks in 13 games over last two years. 18 qb pressures his first year with only two starts. 

Te'o - 2nd rounder (reach) - 61 tackles in 10 games this season. Played much better than most anticipated. 

Attaochu - 2nd rounder. 2 sacks in 10 games as a Rookie. Nothing special but was a back up. 

2 of the 6 never had a chance due to injury. Another one fought injuries but looked good when he was out there. One showed great improvement. One played very well. One had one rookie year. 

I guess Barry sucked? Don't really see enough evidence of that. 

Finally something a little more optimistic around these parts. Thanks for starting this thread and bringing some common sense to the board. I still can't understand why people want Gruden/Barry to fail this year. Even if you don't like them as coaches, one would think you would rather surprise people and win some games.

On paper Fangio was the better choice, but he had a lot of talent to work with in SF. Like somebody else already mentioned, Wade & Schwartz have not been interviewed by any other teams. Barry is like a younger Phillips with something to really prove.

Only thing I'm having trouble with wrapping my brain around is why did we let Baker go? Our best LB praised his efforts. I guess Barry may have his own guy or he will coach them.

Explain yourself here. I hate when people just claim things with no back up.

I can only see where they drafted 5 LBs in the first two rounds

Larry English, 1st rounder, plagued by injuries his entire career. The games he was actually able to play he stunk.

We will include Donald Butler. 3rd rounder. Under Barry, became a team captain, 96 tackles his rookie year, 77 in 12 games second year, 84 in 13 games last year, 73 in 14 games this year before hitting the IR.

Jonas Mouton, 61st overall, 2 torn ACLs, waived.

Melvin Ingram. 1st rounder. Injury issues, 5 sacks in 13 games over last two years. 18 qb pressures his first year with only two starts.

Te'o - 2nd rounder (reach) - 61 tackles in 10 games this season. Played much better than most anticipated.

Attaochu - 2nd rounder. 2 sacks in 10 games as a Rookie. Nothing special but was a back up.

2 of the 6 never had a chance due to injury. Another one fought injuries but looked good when he was out there. One showed great improvement. One played very well. One had one rookie year.

I guess Barry sucked? Don't really see enough evidence of that.

You're right, butler was a 3rd rounder, my b. We can expand it to first two days of the draft. Te'o was a projected 1st rounder, he wasn't a reach. I'm not looking at tackles, looked at pff.

Regardless facts are that SD has spent an ungodly amount of resources on linebackers. We've spent that many early round picks on them over 14 years and 3 of the 5 went to pro bowls... with vinny picking 2 of the pro bowlers. Meanwhile not a single one has played well in San diego, even while uninjured, according to pff.

Butler, perhaps his chance at developing a pro bowl caliber lb, was pff rated at 8.3 his first year before barry, 5.3 his first year with barry, -9.6 in 2013 and -23.2 last year. Clearly getting worse with each year.

The only one who showed ANY improvement was Te'o, and as a 2nd rounder you expect more than average.

There is zero point in being optimistic about this hire. Most of us have taken the optimistic approach for nearly every hire in the past 2 decades and what has that gotten us? Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.I'd be willing to bet money he won't be able to get them to take the next step and will be gone in a season or two 

Finally something a little more optimistic around these parts. Thanks for starting this thread and bringing some common sense to the board. I still can't understand why people want Gruden/Barry to fail this year. Even if you don't like them as coaches, one would think you would rather surprise people and win some games.

On paper Fangio was the better choice, but he had a lot of talent to work with in SF. Like somebody else already mentioned, Wade & Schwartz have not been interviewed by any other teams. Barry is like a younger Phillips with something to really prove.

Only thing I'm having trouble with wrapping my brain around is why did we let Baker go? Our best LB praised his efforts. I guess Barry may have his own guy or he will coach them.

A younger Wade Phillips? Lord have mercy.

I get wanting to be optimistic but let's be real here, it's very possible he will be worse than Haslett. You bet $1000 he will be a "younger phillips" and turn the D around and I'll bet my $1000 he's gone within a season or two 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This team is probably 3 years away from winning at least 8 games in a season.

8 games in three seasons that seems an ambitious but achievable goal

I mean in total 3-13 3-13 2-14 ... And people will still be saying how Gruden just needs one more year and he will be on his 14th qb .... Good times good times , cannot wait

You're right, butler was a 3rd rounder, my b. We can expand it to first two days of the draft. Te'o was a projected 1st rounder, he wasn't a reach. I'm not looking at tackles, looked at pff.

Regardless facts are that SD has spent an ungodly amount of resources on linebackers. We've spent that many early round picks on them over 14 years and 3 of the 5 went to pro bowls... with vinny picking 2 of the pro bowlers. Meanwhile not a single one has played well in San diego, even while uninjured, according to pff.

Butler, perhaps his chance at developing a pro bowl caliber lb, was pff rated at 8.3 his first year before barry, 5.3 his first year with barry, -9.6 in 2013 and -23.2 last year. Clearly getting worse with each year.

The only one who showed ANY improvement was Te'o, and as a 2nd rounder you expect more than average.

You can only judge 3 of the 6 because 2 never had a chance due to injury, and a third was a rookie back up this past year.  

So of those three...Butlers first year of playing was with Barry. He tore his ACL the year before Barry got there. Those -9.6 and -23.2 ratings, call me skeptical. He didn't play that poorly, maybe because he missed games? And again, T'eo has played well.

It is hard to judge Ingram since he has only played 13 games in 2 years....due to ACL tear and Hip injury...BUT, he had 4 sacks in 9 games this year, 2 FF, 1 FR, 11 hurries. That is not bad.

And lets be honest, judging a coach based on individual players is ridiculous. What was the rating on the unit?

Chargers fans seem to love him. Their LB corps has been riddled with injuries during his tenure.

I am really not arguing for Barry, I just don't see how blanket statements can be made about coaches, and then based on the individual ratings of drafted players, some of which were drafted before said coach was there.

8 games in three seasons that seems an ambitious but achievable goal

I mean in total 3-13 3-13 2-14 ... And people will still be saying how Gruden just needs one more year and he will be on his 14th qb .... Good times good times , cannot wait

And we hire Bill Belichik and Pete Carroll to co-coach next year, they win 4 games, and people will still blame it on coaching. 

The problem with a skins hire under Snyder is: we continually look for the silver lining in the dark cloud during the initial hiring, only to find out that if it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck......it's a duck!!!

What are the odd's we didn't hire another duck?????

I don't thing you got the point of the thread, amigo. Did you read the OP?

Not looking for a silver lining. That wasn't the point.

Here here!  The amount of teenage styled rage and spoiled brat entitlement on this board has been spinning out of control.  We are fans.  The only vote we have, as my good economics teacher once said, is what you spend your money on.  If you don't like what's going on then don't buy Redskin's merchandise.  Other than that, they don't owe us a damn thing.  Seeing some of the comments to our players on facebook and twitter makes me cringe.  Things that would never be said to someone's face are "bravely" uttered behind a keyboard and I think it does affect the psyche of the players to some extent. 

No, we shouldn't settle for the crap that's been given to us for years.  But we FINALLY have a GM with a legitimate track record of getting in some good talent.  Whether the coaching staff is the right one or not remains to be seen.  I'm with Kdawg on my 'wait and see' stance. 

I'm optimistic about what Jay is doing in going with a younger staff.  As Kdawg can attest coaching football requires an insane amount of hours at the High School level.  You routinely put in 40 hours of your own time in addition to another 40 for your job.  Having all his chief lieutenants in their early 40s will help Jay because these guys will be able to put in the 100 or so hours a week at the park working on game plans and coaching their guys up. 

There's also the aspect of decision making to consider. I'm 52 now and it took a while for me to realize I had to give up play calling.  As a play caller you need to have about 5 scenarios going on at the same time.  There are a lot of "If then - else" statements that take place.  For instance, say you're at 2nd and 8.  You have to factor in every possible scenario while the play is being run so you can have the next play ready to go as soon as the ball has been put back into play.  What will we run if it's 3rd and long, 3rd and medium, 3rd and short, 1st and 10, etc.  Your short term memory starts to fail on you but you also become more wise.  I'm much more helpful for our team by letting someone call the plays and then I analyze and come in with some suggestions that often really make a difference.  Fangio is 58 years old.  Wade in his upper 60s.  Barry is 43 I think. 

Bottom line is this.  The team needs a great influx of talent before ANY COACHING STAFF can do anything meaningful.  Whining about the staff now is putting the cart before the horse.  The guys in the cart can only steer.  They can't really control how fast and far it goes.  They need the right horses and God knows the Redskins need a lot of new, younger horses!

I don't thing you got the point of the thread, amigo. Did you read the OP?

Not looking for a silver lining. That wasn't the point.

Actually I think your having comprehension malfunctions there sport>>>! 

Nothing more than an observation of past tendencies, and how they possibly compare to this hire...try not to over think it...

Archived