Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs in AFC championship game

Boss_Hogg

I guess a deflated ball is worth 38 points. If that is the case, the Redskins should be using them. They might have won about 2 more games this year.

I don't know if this is legit. I don't know if this helped the Pats. I don't know how something like this could even happen since the refs inspect the game balls before the game. But what I do know is that you can throw anything like this at the Patriots and people will believe it. Last week, it was John Harbaugh saying they cheated by using a legal formation that tricked him. He had a lot of people convinced it was cheating, when it was completely legal. It's always going to be one thing after another with them.

I mean, on the face of it, this is not that big of a deal given how badly the Patriots beat the Colts with the run game.  However, when you combine that with Spygate, it paints a very troubling picture of how the Patriots conduct business.  If this were the first time we had heard anything about the Patriots trying to gain an advantage through breaking rules, then I think this would be a non-story.  But it's clear that they think they are above the rules and regulations of the league and won't get caught - or, worse yet, no one will care.

But how easy was it to make this claim?  Well see what the NFL presents, but it seems like any person can make an accusation about the Patriots and it would stick because of history.  They could have said Brady was wearing an illegal cleat and social media would be going viral saying "Patriots cheated again, fact!"   I firmly believe people are just butt hurt that Tom Brady can score touchdowns with his super awesome elite WR core of Brandon Lafell, Julian Edelman, and Danny Amendola.

But how easy was it to make this claim?  Well see what the NFL presents, but it seems like any person can make an accusation about the Patriots and it would stick because of history.  They could have said Brady was wearing an illegal cleat and social media would be going viral saying "Patriots cheated again, fact!"   I firmly believe people are just butt hurt that Tom Brady can score touchdowns with his super awesome elite WR core of Brandon Lafell, Julian Edelman, and Danny Amendola.

Who made the claim? I still haven't seen anybody being quoted as the person who said,  "These footballs seem light. Let's send them in to the NFL to get them weighed." If it was the Refs, why would they care who won? They're trying to determine if a rule(s) was broken, which is exactly what they should be doing. 

And how long does the weighing actually take? It's almost 2pm in the East & still no word. 

Packers coaching staff proudly displayed their deflated balls in the early game.

Packers coaching staff proudly displayed their deflated balls in the early game.

Doubled the quote for the double entendre.  Winning!  

Not going for it on 4 and 1 from the goal line was extremely sad.

Doesn't the NFL check all the balls and lock them away? What did Belichick do? Put on a black hoodie and bring some bolt cutters to break into the official's locker room and deflate the balls before the game?

You guys think they treat these things like gold at Fort Knox. 

OK, I am definitely operating under the assumption that there will ultimately be nothing to this.

That said, the NFL is investigating it. If it wasn't at least theoretically possible that the Patriots could have done something illegal, then they wouldn't be. All the people posting about how there's no way this could have happened look extremely silly, imo.

OK, I am definitely operating under the assumption that there will ultimately be nothing to this.

That said, the NFL is investigating it. If it wasn't at least theoretically possible that the Patriots could have done something illegal, then they wouldn't be. All the people posting about how there's no way this could have happened look extremely silly, imo.

NFL also reviewed the "formations" against the Ravens last week which were said to be completely illegal.....were in fact legal.  They also reviewed Ray Rice's incident and a bunch of others.  NFL isn't always correct at things.

um what have the Pats ever done to earn that benefit of the doubt?

If the Skins can be fined 36 million for breaking the spirit of a rule the Pats should be punished for intentionally breaking one, if guilty, no matter the actual outcome of the game, or even if an advantage was gained. If one intentionally cheats theyre guilty no matter what occurs following.

I heard Blandino say in a radio interview that it is not unheard of for a referee crew to remove a ball because it looks wrong or feels wrong.  My question is, how common is it for a ball to be removed during a game?  Is it possible for a ball to have a slow leak that may not show up until after it has been put in play and been under stress?  Was it one ball? The lot of 24.  He also stated the team is responsible for 12 balls and another 12 in bad weather(rainy) situations.

The thought that they were selectively replacing balls out of 24 possible at convenient timing for them is very hard to believe.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/nfl-opens-patriots-deflated-football-probe-after-afc-championship-win-1.9821346

In this article, it says a colts player noticed something after intercepting a ball.  He gave it to a team equipment manager who thought it was under-inflated, who then gave it to coach Pagano, who brought it to the refs.

The fact a player removed a ball from the field of play and handed it to a team equipment person, who gave it to the coach leaves a lot of room for speculation the other way.  He should have handed it to a ref and stated his concerns.  Giving it to his team staff opens this up to the Colts manipulating the ball to cast a shadow on the butt kicking.

I would bet it is pretty hard to find a clear indication that says CHEATING here.  Unless it was more than 1 ball in 24, that we haven't heard of, this seems like much ado about nothing.

Now I understand what happened. 

There is a LOT of misunderstanding in this thread about how footballs are monitored during an NFL game (my highlight): 

"You can thank D'Qwell Jackson for sparking Deflate-gate.

According to Bob Glauber of Newsday, the investigation into whether the Patriots intentionally deflated the footballs in play in Saturday’s AFC Championship game began when Jackson intercpted a Tom Brady pass in the second quarter. 

Given that each team provides a dozen balls to game officials to use when it is on offense, the Colts might not have known anything was different about New England’s barring the turnover. Ostensibly, a slightly deflated ball would be easier to grip and throw in rainy, windy conditions, as they were playing in Sunday night.

When Jackson returned to the sidelines after his pick, he gave it to a member of the Colts equipment staff, who noticed it felt under-inflated.

The equipment man told coach Chuck Pagano, who relayed the information to General Manager Ryan Grigson, who contacted NFL director of football operations Mike Kensil, who told the officials on the field at halftime."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/deflated-ball-investigation-began-after-colts-interception/

NFL also reviewed the "formations" against the Ravens last week which were said to be completely illegal.....were in fact legal.  They also reviewed Ray Rice's incident and a bunch of others.  NFL isn't always correct at things.

And that means they are too stupid to understand that they have spent days now investigating something that would have been impossible to happen? Really?

11 of the 12 were cheat balls.

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

At first I thought this was all about nothing, but this garbage rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah...I like how the NFL waited until 11:12PM this evening to release this. And from the link you provided: 

"Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday."

Let's see what Commissioner Gordon has to say. Wait, I know, "We looked into it but before we could come to a final conclusion we destroyed the balls in question. The league will have no further comment on this issue & consider the matter closed." 

Yeah...I like how the NFL waited until 11:12PM this evening to release this. And from the link you provided: 

"Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday."

Let's see what Commissioner Gordon has to say. Wait, I know, "We looked into it but before we could come to a final conclusion we destroyed the balls in question. The league will have no further comment on this issue & consider the matter closed." 

And the patriots will be stripped of a 5th round draft pick.... In 2017.

And the patriots will be stripped of a 5th round draft pick.... In 2017.

Exactly. There are some humorous comments on ESPN. But, there are also a lot of pissed fans of football. Not fans of the Colts or Seahags, but fans of football saying this is bad. Here's one:

"The Patriots should have to forfeit this game.

What's that, you say? It didn't matter, because Blount gashed them, Brady lit them up, and Luck played terrible? All those things are true.

But you cheated, ahead of time, with the sole intention of gaining a competitive advantage. I don't care if NE threw the ball 3 times, and ran for 500 yards. They cheated, on purpose, and should have to forfeit."

It doesn't just "happen". An equipment manager doesn't just deflate 11 balls and pretend things are normal. Someone tells him to do it. 

I read the other article on ESPN that quoted Rodgers saying there should be a minimum but no maximum. His point was his hands are big & he has a strong grip so he likes the ball pumped way up. Guys with smaller hands & weaker grips like the balls with less air. 

You know, it makes you wonder how many times this occurred throughout the season.

Archived