Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russell Wilson appreciation thread

Riggo'sRangers

Russell sucked for so much of the game. He may have even had to take the blame for the loss, had GB not gone into a shell in the 4th quarter. But then that one pass to Lynch down the sideline changed it all. It gave him confidence and in OT he was as good as it gets. It's always tough to beat a guy who can make plays when it matters.

Notice how Seattle doesn't force Wilson into being a full time pocket passer? He can't win a game in the same manner that Tom Brady can, he can only win by maximizing his owns abilities. He still runs and completes a lot of passes while scrambling outside the pocket. If RG3 does that he gets criticized for not being a disciplined pocket passer. They need to pattern RG3's offense just as Seattle has done with Wilson.   

Yeah, the game manager is about to play in consecutive Super Bowls! ;)

HTTR!

Yes, and he's beat Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers etc. The QB's who people say you must have or play like if  you stand a chance at winning. Wilson proves that the best teams win the SB, not the team who has the best pocket passing QB. 

If a Redskins QB has a game like he did today, we lose 40-3.

That pass on the 2 point conversion  was one of the worst passes I've ever seen that worked. If a Redskins QB threw that, it would have gone for 6 the other way. (Yes, I know that was a 2 pt conversion and the play would be dead, but the Redskins don't have that kind of luck.)  The fans would have been demanding the QB that threw that pass never be allowed on the field again. But for Wilson, it goes for a 2 point conversion that allows them to win the game. Unbelievable.

I am not sure why people don't think it is possible to think that on one hand Wilson is great in his role on Seattle, but on the other, he would not have this kind of success on 90% of the other teams.   His skill-set is not designed to be in a pass heavy offense.  He works well on a team where he just needs to be "another guy"

The age of fantasy football has really ruined what a franchise QB is. You shouldn't have to throw for 300+ yards a game to be a franchise QB. Russell Wilson is an franchise QB in every sense of the word. He's a leader and he simply doesn't lose. I do not like Russell Wilson, at all and even im capable of saying it.

A trick special teams play, great defense, a great RB and the recovery of a kickoff.  Add in they smartly brought out the read option in OT and Seattle wins this game.

At least, that is what I saw.

Seattle does a good job playing to RW's strengths, and he finds a way to win games, but put him as the skins starting QB and things change.

A trick special teams play, great defense, a great RB and the recovery of a kickoff. Add in they smartly brought out the read option in OT and Seattle wins this game.

At least, that is what I saw.

Seattle does a good job playing to RW's strengths, and he finds a way to win games, but put him as the skins starting QB and things change.

Brady and Manning are the only qbs who can take a garbage team and make them good. Of course Russell would struggle here.

I'd argue that a hobbling Aaron Rodgers nearly got the job done, and makes the Packers a better team.

Again, I don't think this is an argument about whether Wilson is a great QB or bad QB.  I think on the bad - great meter the arrow is pointing to the good level, games like this one display why he isn't great but still has characteristics that make him a winner.

He kind of reminds me of Rothelisburger early in his career, who would have a lot of sloppy, up and down games, but still always seemed to somehow manage to win games, he had a defense that kept every game close too, and the team always seemed to be in position to win late in the game.

Early on in the game, when the Packers were rolling, it changed the way Seattle had to play, it got the offense out of what they like to do, their comfort zone was gone, Wilson suddenly looked ordinary, mediocre even, but he got better late in the game once they inched back into it because they were able to get back to what they prefer to do.

If a guy doesn't let an onside kick bounce off his face, today we're talking about how terrible Wilson was yesterday.

Four interceptions, the reason why the Seahawks even needed the comeback. A punter scores their first TD. The Packers have the ball with 5 minutes to go up 19-7 and played as if they'd already won. Seattle's defense, despite the four RW picks, prevents a blowout by holding the #1 scoring offense to four field goals and one TD. McCarthy opts for two (twice!!!) 18 yard field goals when you're playing the defending champion on the road in the NFCCG. 

But, ya know Russell's just a good old fashioned American winning machine, he leads the league in intangibles. Impressive how he dug just a little deeper to find some extra intangibles to curse the Packers with on the onside kick. The bull**** with this guy is approaching Tebow levels. Wilson's a good QB but praising him for this game is absurd. 

List of QBs that have won back-to-back SBs:

Bart Starr

Bob Griese

Terry Bradshaw (x2)

Joe Montana

Troy Aikman

John Elway

Tom Brady

All of the above are in the HOF, except Brady, who will be. I think Russell Wilson has to do a bit more in his career to be a shoo-in for Canton, but how much will a win on February 1st go towards putting him there?

List of QBs that have won back-to-back SBs:

Bart Starr

Bob Griese

Terry Bradshaw (x2)

Joe Montana

Troy Aikman

John Elway

Tom Brady

All of the above are in the HOF, except Brady, who will be. I think Russell Wilson has to do a bit more in his career to be a shoo-in for Canton, but how much will a win on February 1st go towards putting him there?

Are you serious?

Guys a good, exciting player, but nothing at all about his game screams HOF, near HOF, possible HOF, or needing a bit more to get into the HOF

Are you serious?

Guys a good, exciting player, but nothing at all about his game screams HOF, near HOF, possible HOF, or needing a bit more to get into the HOF

Oh I agree Mr S......I haven't had a chance to watch many of Wilson's regular season games, but when I have, nothing about his game blows me away. And we all know that much of that team's success is due to its defense. Still, it makes you wonder when the conversation will start about Wilson and the HOF if he does manage to be the QB of back-to-back SB-winning teams.

Brady had a lot of success early in his career, and I know even back then he was showing to be a much better QB than Wilson is now. Was there any Brady HOF conversation back then? 

It is too early to say Wilson can't be a HOF QB, but it is also to early to put him in there, even if they go onto win the Superbowl again.  I think the jury will still be out on him until we see how he does when more of the offense is put on his shoulders.  Lynch is a unique RB, but his days are drawing to a close, and if Wilson gets a huge contract, that defense could start being torn apart within a season or two.

I think his early career mirrors Rothelisburger's in a lot of ways, even though they are different style QB's.

If a guy doesn't let an onside kick bounce off his face, today we're talking about how terrible Wilson was yesterday.

Four interceptions, the reason why the Seahawks even needed the comeback. A punter scores their first TD. The Packers have the ball with 5 minutes to go up 19-7 and played as if they'd already won. Seattle's defense, despite the four RW picks, prevents a blowout by holding the #1 scoring offense to four field goals and one TD. McCarthy opts for two (twice!!!) 18 yard field goals when you're playing the defending champion on the road in the NFCCG. 

But, ya know Russell's just a good old fashioned American winning machine, he leads the league in intangibles. Impressive how he dug just a little deeper to find some extra intangibles to curse the Packers with on the onside kick. The bull**** with this guy is approaching Tebow levels. Wilson's a good QB but praising him for this game is absurd. 

Agreed. I will give this win to Pete Carroll. The score is 19-7 and he is still running the ball with only 5 minutes left. I even said in the game thread why the hell is he running the ball when they are down by so much. PC had more trust in his RB then Wilson getting them back into the game. PC knew ML can get more yardage then RW throwing and possibly getting intercepted. PC couldn't afford to have RW throw a pick with only few minutes left and so much on the line. PC didn't panic and he stayed with the run. He did what he had to do and get the right players in positions to win the game. This allowed RW calm down a bit and make his throws. And it worked.

Good, exciting  game yesterday.  STs came through for the Hawks and it seemed that the Packers played scared. In OT the Hawks got it done and deserved to be NFC champs.

I agree, the Hawks deserved the win. The offense may have been asleep at the wheel for 4 3/4 of the game, but their D held the Pack to just 1 TD. Wilson's scramble throw for the 2 pointer sort of reminded me of Montana's 'The Catch.'

I have no beef with Wilson, he is a good QB, but I hate how he gets SO much credit. His record is indicative of his team. He doesn't play defense or special teams. He has Marshawn Lynch.  I'm not just picking on him, I'm saying in general, QB's tend to get too much credit or blame at times. Again, his record is because of his team. 

BTW, Green Bay lost the game more than Seattle won.  That was the most epic failure I've ever seen.  Not just one play.  wow that was crazy.

Game time coming up in a few hours.  I respect Russell (obviously-started this thread) so much and am very curious how he will perform today. He might (my opinion only) have a huge bounce back game. Great match-up on tap.  Basically a pick'em game.  Great stuff. I friggin' LOVE the Superbowl!  HTTR

Archived