Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russell Wilson appreciation thread

Riggo'sRangers

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, speaking on a video for the Players' Tribune website, said he takes full responsibility for what happened in Super Bowl XLIX, believes he will get to the Super Bowl again and hopes to be remembered for something different. Wilson posted a four-minute, 20-second video about his feelings, but he also wrote these words as a lead-in:

"One yard. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been thinking about that one yard for the past 17 days," Wilson wrote. "Everyone wants to know how I feel. Well, it's complicated. Walking off that field in Arizona and seeing disappointed Seahawks fans in the stands was anguish. How could I not feel like I let them down? I tried to be positive, but I'm not perfect.

"I have been away from the game for almost three weeks, trying to escape football and clear my mind. But the funny thing is, I've never felt hungrier to get in the weight room and the film room and keep pushing until we get to Super Bowl 50.

"How do I feel? I don't know if I can fit it into a sound bite. I definitely couldn't fit it into a 30-second Instagram video. So, after the Players' Tribune roundtable event on Saturday, I had the camera crew stick around so I could talk it out. Sorry if it's not perfect. There was no script here. I just wanted to talk directly to the 12s. This is for you."

In the video, Wilson admits the pain he has felt over the interception he threw on the New England 1-yard line in the final seconds of the game, sealing the Patriots' 28-24 victory.

"It hits me," Wilson said. "It's tough to deal with. It's a tough feeling of losing. If anybody hates losing, I hate losing. ...  Me feeling like I didn't make a play and knowing it's over.

"I want to let you know my thought process. I know I threw that pass and I know I will throw another one. Hopefully I will be remembered for something different."

Many fans have blamed the Seattle coaches for calling a pass play on second down at the 1, but Wilson takes the blame.

"The most important thing at quarterback, and a leader in general, is accountability," he said. "So what happened in Super Bowl 49, I take full responsibility for it."

Wilson went on to say he looks forward to his next opportunity and continues to try to improve.

<edit>

<a little more at link>

• 9 months later...

Looks like you guys have a good shot of appreciating Wilson from close up this post-season. Rematch, anyone?

Good luck with your remaining games.

Thanks. Still gotta hold up our end. Frankly I'm not looking forward to playing y'all if it comes to that. Any Given Sunday and all that, but we probably couldn't run the ball against the SCLSU Mud Dogs right now and we are suffering mightily in the injury dept

• 4 weeks later...

Just to put it in a SEA related thread:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tyler-lockett-secret-weapon-more-like-seahawks-a-factor/ar-AAguEQI

What is it with the Seahawks and undersized third-round picks?

Three years after they took 5-11 Russell Wilson, they hit another a home run with Tyler Lockett in 2015. While that's low for a franchise quarterback, it might have seemed too high for a 5-11 wide receiver and return man.

<edit>

That is until, one full NFL season later, they know that Lockett has become a lot more than a rookie spark. He's now playing an indispensable role in trying to get Wilson and Seattle to a third straight Super Bowl.

Wilson is just happy that Lockett's impact will get to extend to the playoffs.

"Watching Tyler, I think he's rookie of the year," Wilson said after the regular-season finale against the Cardinals last Sunday. "There are some other guys, but you watch Tyler and the different things he can do, the explosiveness in the passing game. He's great on third down. He made some big-time red zone catches and big (plays) for us. The punt returns, the kick returns — you think about what a special player he is. He's one of a kind. He's going to be exciting."

Lockett is battling through a hip injury before his first playoff action, but he's fully expected to play in the wild-card game at Minnesota on Sunday. Seeing how Wilson is locked in while throwing more often to Lockett, the Vikings' defense has its work cut out preparing to stop that combination.

That's the scary thing for Seattle's opponents going forward. Lockett burst on the scene with monster games on special teams in the first month of his rookie season. But over the past two months, there's been an evolution in his versatility where teams also need to worry about him just as much as a wide receiver.

Even though Lockett still may not be an offensive starter by designation, he's consistently made critical plays. Against Arizona, his 8-yard run around the left end got the Seahawks their first first down on their way to their first touchdown. A couple of drives later, he shot down the middle for a 36-yard reception on a third-and-11 play that helped them march down for another score. Then it was punt returns of 66 and 42 yards, and which, yep, set up two more Seahawks touchdowns. <edit> 

more at link

Seattle's RBs getting hurt might be the best thing to happen to Wilson. Now they've broken his shackles and just let him play.

He is impressing me, didn't think he had this kind of passing ability. And he's not exactly throwing to a great WR corps.

Lynch mysteriously declared out of Vikings game...

qholk9lwhgqquf6bdni1.jpg

Archived