Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

7 hours ago, Llevron said:

When you say pull them you don’t mean shred the pork in advance and then reheat tomorrow do you? If so I have done that, and I was not satisfied with the result. I had much better success letting them rest wrapped and in the cooler for 8-10 hours and then reheating them the next day to shred before the event.

Lots of people are uncomfortable with letting meat sit that long. But wrapped and in the cooler they stayed HOT the entire time so I felt safe and no one (that I know of) got sick from it. 

But I mean…..it’s pulled pork. It’s going horribly wrong still ends up delicious at the end of the day. 

Also raw dogging them (fat toward the heat source) with no spritz or wrap during the cook is absolutely my favorite way to smoke them. On my Kamado the fat gets so crispy and perfect. You chop that **** and mix it in with the pulled pork in the end for a nice crunch. Mmmmm

See this is exactly what I mean. Damnit 

@BatteredFanSyndromeThat could be treading in dangerous waters.

8-10 hrs is pushing it, regardless of the type of cooler. The critical temp is 140°  It's imperative that the meat stays above 140°.

The way to assure that it's safe, is to monitor the temp with a leave-in remote thermometer.

I never wrap pork butts either. Just let 'em rip.

You can absolutely shred it in advanceand reheat with great results.

If I'm cooking for a crowd a day, or so, ahead of time, I pull the pork,(fat and all), stick it in food saver bags, seal them and simmer them for about an hour or so, on the stovetop before serving. No need to boil, just bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.

It tastes just like it came right off the smoker and that's the way me, and all of my BBQ buddies reheat it.

Not knocking you at all @Llevron, but the only way to absolutely ensure that the food is safe, is to monitor the temp.

If any of the guests are younger  kids, older folks, or anyone with compromised immune systems, it might not end well.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

@BatteredFanSyndromeThat could be treading in dangerous waters.

8-10 hrs is pushing it, regardless of the type of cooler. The critical temp is 140°  It's imperative that the meat stays above 140°.

The way to assure that it's safe, is to monitor the temp with a leave-in remote thermometer.

I never wrap pork butts either. Just let 'em rip.

You can absolutely shred it in advanceand reheat with great results.

If I'm cooking for a crowd a day, or so, ahead of time, I pull the pork,(fat and all), stick it in food saver bags, seal them and simmer them for about an hour or so, on the stovetop before serving. No need to boil, just bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer

It tastes just like it came right off the smoker and that's the way me, and all of my BBQ buddies reheat it.

Not knocking you at all @Llevron, but the only way to absolutely ensure that the food is safe, is to monitor the temp.

If any of the guests are younger  kids, older folks, or anyone with compromised immune systems, it might not end well.

Oh I for sure had a thermometer in there. I don’t cook without one if I can avoid it. It’s the single thing that took my cooking from meh to okish enough to eat lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Llevron said:

What bbq forums do you haunt? I promise I won’t embarrass you if you tell me 😈

None in particular, I typically just google whatever I have in mind and check out a few different sources. 

@Skinsfan1311 Good call on the food saver bags.  I have one of those primarily collecting dust since 2020.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

None in particular, I typically just google whatever I have in mind and check out a few different sources. 

@Skinsfan1311 Good call on the food saver bags.  I have one of those primarily collecting dust since 2020.

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I use my Food Saver all the time! I can buy meat especially in bulk and freeze for individual meals. 

Food Saver is a life saver!  Had it since like '04, I do the same, LSF.  That big family meal thing I got from Pappadeaux got bagged up in "serving sizes", bags went into a pot of simmering water as needed with absolutely no dirty pots/pans.  (And mine is 1st generation huge :ols:, so it's on top of the microwave to save counter space.) 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

9F0E9290-A79B-4D2F-829A-14254DF7BEB3.thumb.jpeg.4261abd7bd0f238c1f3ad2e74fae1f04.jpeg

first smoke of the season, this was last week.  

i forgot to take a picture before I broke it down.

i stuffed it with garlic, lemon and apple.  Seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper on the outside.

Used cherry chips as they smoke.

It was spectacular snd so simple.  I did notice significant longer smoking time to come to temp when the bird is stuffed.  I hadn’t done that before.  Took longer, and that makes sense.  

Doing a LARGE Poke Butt this weekend.  Will post after that’s done… 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

9F0E9290-A79B-4D2F-829A-14254DF7BEB3.thumb.jpeg.4261abd7bd0f238c1f3ad2e74fae1f04.jpeg

first smoke of the season, this was last week.  

i forgot to take a picture before I broke it down.

i stuffed it with garlic, lemon and apple.  Seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper on the outside.

Used cherry chips as they smoke.

It was spectacular snd so simple.  I did notice significant longer smoking time to come to temp when the bird is stuffed.  I hadn’t done that before.  Took longer, and that makes sense.  

Doing a LARGE Poke Butt this weekend.  Will post after that’s done… 

Looks great!

Cherry is my favorite with skin-on chicken. It gives it a great smoke flavor, without any bitterness,  and that beautiful mahogany color.

42 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Looks great!

Cherry is my favorite with skin-on chicken. It gives it a great smoke flavor, without any bitterness,  and that beautiful mahogany color.

I’d never used cherry before.  It was great. 

Im experimenting with a few different wood choices early this summer.  I think I’m going to try pecan for my pork shoulder tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Dinner when the wife is out of town.  Don’t knock me on the cut, a blade or some ****.  Only thing in the store under $20.  Did about the best you could do, cooked it long enough to break it down a bit but not dried out.  Not bad w/ enough Old Bay hot sauce.

38CB5E0C-81B4-4610-8148-F4D0AD837C38.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mojo said:

Dinner when the wife is out of town.  Don’t knock me on the cut, a blade or some ****.  Only thing in the store under $20.  Did about the best you could do, cooked it long enough to break it down a bit but not dried out.  Not bad w/ enough Old Bay hot sauce.

38CB5E0C-81B4-4610-8148-F4D0AD837C38.jpeg

Looks good to me.

Old Bay hot sauce is the bomb!

It's really, really good on potato and macaroni salads too.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:37 PM, TK said:

Pork loin is in with the cherry cola rub. And now we wait…:kickcan:

Cherry Cola rub is most likely going in the trash. Personally I like my bbq with some heat to it. This wasn't it.

A few days later I tried Pork Perfect on some chops & we had s winner. :) 

We also enjoyed their Rodeo Ranch on some grill corn on the cob. But that Potato Slayer.... Man I've made a Wendy's fry run just have something to put that on. Game changer.

• Like 1

D51CCACE-5BBA-4EC9-9108-374A0E49465F.thumb.jpeg.2661fe48fc01ce1227f2f82293b78b7b.jpeg

Ready to go in the smoker.

I did something different this time: I brined the butt in a mixture of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, water, salt and spices for 12 hours before the cook.  

Then I gave it a good rub.

It was a 9lb butt.so pretty big.  I started it at 5:30 this morning.  Smoked it for 11 hours with pecan wood chips, rested for an hour and a half.  

it was demolished.  No leftovers.  I think the brine really helped.  It was the moistest pulled pork I’ve done.  And it just literal fell apart.  

finished product:

25151860-F7D5-4218-A073-3F21EEFDFB5E.thumb.jpeg.2c583fe6e9d4e4a67f69f636593b9bab.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

D51CCACE-5BBA-4EC9-9108-374A0E49465F.thumb.jpeg.2661fe48fc01ce1227f2f82293b78b7b.jpeg

Ready to go in the smoker.

I did something different this time: I brined the butt in a mixture of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, water, salt and spices for 12 hours before the cook.  

Then I gave it a good rub.

It was a 9lb butt.so pretty big.  I started it at 5:30 this morning.  Smoked it for 11 hours with pecan wood chips, rested for an hour and a half.  

it was demolished.  No leftovers.  I think the brine really helped.  It was the moistest pulled pork I’ve done.  And it just literal fell apart.  

finished product:

25151860-F7D5-4218-A073-3F21EEFDFB5E.thumb.jpeg.2c583fe6e9d4e4a67f69f636593b9bab.jpeg

Your smoking game is strong!

What temp was it when you pulled it off the smoker?   I'm guessing ~ 200-205?    

It looks really, really good.

Had a grad party for my oldest.  3 minutes before this picture, it was a 15lb brisket, 3 racks of ribs, and 3 lbs of wings.  Then 9 18yo boys happened.  Like piranhas swarming an injured fawn.  

4A3319F0-7FFD-411E-97CD-8EADD281BC70.jpeg

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Your smoking game is strong!

What temp was it when you pulled it off the smoker?   I'm guessing ~ 200-205?    

It looks really, really good.

I always shoot for 202.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe because I did it once and it was really good?  

I’m not sure if I was a huge fan of Pecan.  I think it was a bit subtle for the pork shoulder.  I think I’m going to try something else next time.  I like a good Smokey flavor but not overwhelming.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I always shoot for 202.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe because I did it once and it was really good?  

I’m not sure if I was a huge fan of Pecan.  I think it was a bit subtle for the pork shoulder.  I think I’m going to try something else next time.  I like a good Smokey flavor but not overwhelming.  

Pecan is similar to hickory, but milder.  If I did use pecan with shoulders, it would use chunks, instead of chips.    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

@BatteredFanSyndrome How did your stuff come out? 

Pretty much like you said, it was actually very good - but obviously I was stuck on just how good it was right after I pulled it.  I did add some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and a little more rub before reheating.  Everyone raved about it, took to-go containers, and we've been eating it to the extent I made pulled pork tacquitos for lunch.  I think next time I'll be putting it on like 10-11 at night and letting it smoke all night long through the day so I can pull just before serving.  It was close to 16 hours for 3 9lb pork butts.

My next cook will be smoked birria tacos.  I'm all porked out.

• Like 3