Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Appreciate the advice y'all.

Honestly, I think my biggest problem is that I'm having more issues getting the temp to anything above 250 honestly

I have an offset smoker as well and experience the same leaking around the smoker (mine is a decent Oklahoma joe smoker). It doesn't seem that big a deal to me but I do think a sealant would help keep Temps more consistent for longer periods of time.

If you get the fire hot you should be able to easily smoke at above 300° though. For chicken Ill generally shoot for about 350 and over the course of an hour it will drop back down to 300. At which point I'll stoke the fire and throw some more wood and sometimes more charcoal on it. Check the meat and repeat the process.

I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do things but this is working for me, it just requires babysitting.

Keep in mind "if youre looking, you ain't cooking".. there is a bigtime heat drop off every time your open the bigger door.

Edited by sportjunkie07

I used to brine poultry but in the end I decided it's just too much work and hassle

The key to chicken Is cooking it properly. Comes out moist and delicious every time

I agree on chicken. That's one that I've gotten down pretty well in numerous different methods. But I'll always brine turkey.

Same. The result from brining turkey in seasonings and buttermilk is really great. It does take some work, but I'm basically only doing it once or twice a year.

I use a water, sugar, salt, and assorted spice mixture. Never tried buttermilk

But yes does make a difference in turkey. And plenty of time on Tgiving to do it!

I use a water, sugar, salt, and assorted spice mixture. Never tried buttermilk

But yes does make a difference in turkey. And plenty of time on Tgiving to do it!

TBH I have no idea what the buttermilk does, from a gastronomic perspective. All I know is the recipe I use calls for it and I'm not experienced enough with cooking Turkey to go off book. I get these big, disposable brining bags from Williams-Sonoma and they take a lot of the mess and frustration out of the process. It would be a huge a pain to have to clean and sanitize a bucket or cooler before and after the brining.

TBH I have no idea what the buttermilk does, from a gastronomic perspective. All I know is the recipe I use calls for it and I'm not experienced enough with cooking Turkey to go off book. I get these big, disposable brining bags from Williams-Sonoma and they take a lot of the mess and frustration out of the process. It would be a huge a pain to have to clean and sanitize a bucket or cooler before and after the brining.

I use one of those water coolers you see on the back of work trucks

I just fill it with a bleach mixture after, not too bad

Holds a turkey perfectly like it was made for it

Soaking in buttermilk is a classic fried chicken prep step as well. I also have no idea what the scientific basis (if any) is.

I've done it with fried chicken. Alton Brown did a show on it there is science behind it

But never thought to use it as a bribe for roasting

I've done it with fried chicken. Alton Brown did a show on it there is science behind it

But never thought to use it as a bribe for roasting

Funny you mention him. I always thought if Alton Brown and AL from tool time could have a kid then it would be you.

• Like 1

I used to brine poultry but in the end I decided it's just too much work and hassle

The key to chicken Is cooking it properly. Comes out moist and delicious every time

I agree on chicken. That's one that I've gotten down pretty well in numerous different methods. But I'll always brine turkey.

Same. The result from brining turkey in seasonings and buttermilk is really great. It does take some work, but I'm basically only doing it once or twice a year.

I use one of those water coolers you see on the back of work trucks

I just fill it with a bleach mixture after, not too bad

Holds a turkey perfectly like it was made for it

I used to feel that way, until I discovered the ease, and deliciousness, of dry brining.  

The only "wet"  brine I use anymore, is buttermilk, before frying chicken.

What's the method to smoking on a standard upright charcoal grill? I plan on smoking a pork shoulder and some salmon.

Anyone have experience smoking on this type of grill?

I suggest Google, as there is tons of great advice out there.  

Note that BBQ is different, for everyone.  There are as many methods out there, as there are cooks.  This is what works for me.

For the pork, do whatever it takes to hold the temps between 225 & 250, as close to 225 as you can get.   Use a smaller shoulder, no larger than 5 lbs, (I use 4lbers), or you'll be cooking it forever.  If you have a crowd, get the butcher to cut a larger one in half, and cook both halves at the same time.  Look up a recipe for "Memphis Rub" on Google, (there's probably hundreds of them.  Rub it down and throw it on the grill/smoker along with a chunk of hickory, apple, whatever.  One chunk is sufficient, because any smoke "absorbed" will be in the first 30 minutes to hour anyway.  Too much smoke, and it gets bitter.

Somewhere, in the 150-170 range, the meat will hit what is called "the stall"   You hit a certain temp, usually around the 160's, and the temp just stays there.  It can do that for hours. Sometimes, it can drop a couple of degrees, before it starts to rise again.  I don't know the science behind it, but it's a real thing, trust me.  Some people wrap the meat in foil, to try to "muscle through" the stall.  I don't bother.  Just be patient.

Pull it off the grill/smoker when the internal temp hits 203, for easier pulling, though they can pulled, with temps as low as 195, my magic number seems to be 203.  For me, the pork is tender and pulls easily at that temp.   Some people wrap, some don't.    It can be pulled at the lower temp, if you want to slice, or chop, as opposed to pulling.

Start way earlier than you think you'll need.   If it's done earlier than you anticipated, (which seldom happens, to me), just wrap it tightly in foil and toss into a faux-cambro.  Which is fancy for cooler with towels.  It'll keep the meat piping hot for hours.   Just pour some hot, and boiling, water in the cooler before-hand, drain, toss in a towel,  put the meat in, and toss in another towel.    As long as the temp stays above 140, it's safe.

If you're pressed for time, daylight, starts to rain,  whatever.  You can always smoke it for a couple of hours on the grill, then finish it off in a 225 degree oven.   You'll still have all of the smoke flavor.   I've never done that, but I know that people do, and it works.

I don't know squat about smoking salmon.  I always grill it.

Good luck!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

One tip when smoking pork ribs or shoulder. Get a basic spray bottle. Fill it with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. Maybe a TBSP per cup of juice. Spray occasionally. Not enough to disrupt cooking. But every now and then if you open up to check the meat, give it a few sprays.

I like smoked chicken/turkey, but I LOVE beer can chicken/turkey. I have this for my Weber Spirit:

8838_630x440.jpg

I am getting a Weber Performer for a combo Fathers Day/birthday gift, and it will also work with that. I like using Angry Orchard Summer Honey in the center, with some minced garlic and onions. Rub down the chicken with some oil and dry rub. Indirect heat at 325.

I did last years Thanksgiving turkey this way. Best turkey ever...

• Like 1

I like smoked chicken/turkey, but I LOVE beer can chicken/turkey. I have this for my Weber Spirit:

I like using Angry Orchard Summer Honey in the center, with some minced garlic and onions. Rub down the chicken with some oil and dry rub. Indirect heat at 325.

Home depot had a special on a smaller beer can chicken frame for about 8 bucks.

f8bb985e-dadc-41d6-8f7a-b7fb32423b67_400

Like this, but it lays flat and the can holders fold up and snap around the can. Worked well. Although next time I think I'm going to detach the upper shelf of my grill while making BCC because it was getting in the way when closing the lid. They also had a good deal on Kingsford for Memorial Day weekend. 2 18.5lb bags for $10.

I used Leinenkugel Lemon Shandy on mine. Mostly because I used lemon juice and lemon pepper in my brine.

To add to the brine conversation, I noticed no one mentioned chicken broth for poultry. That's what I used and it was fantastic!

I love beer can chicken, but then was disappointed after reading this article on Amazingribs.com

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html

You can still make amazing roasted chicken that way, but they describe it as a beer with a chicken coozie lol.  Basically a stand to roast/cook it on.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

I love beer can chicken, but then was disappointed after reading this article on Amazingribs.com

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html

You can still make amazing roasted chicken that way, but they describe it as a beer with a chicken coozie lol.  Basically a stand to roast/cook it on.

Yeah, the Weber attachment sits down in a removable section of the grate.

Soporte_coccion_pollo_Gourmet_8838_c.jpg

Liquid goes into the center and it absolutely steams. By the grates it is close to 350, outside thermostat sits around 325 (hood thermometer).

I love to roast baby red potatoes and baby carrots in the basket around the chicken (I add some onions towards the end because those will wither away if in for more than a few minutes).

• Like 1

I like to butcher a chicken first, two legs, thighs, wings, and breasts. This allows me to manipulate the light and dark meat pieces, and most importantly, more surface area to finish over high heat and get that awesome crispy char

If you want to do a whole chicken, follow Thomas keller's roast chicken recipe in the oven. Thank me (well, him) later. All you need is salt, attention to detail, and oven, and a shirt ton of paper towels to thoroughly dry the chicken before roasting.

OK, can someone reconcile for me Thomas Keller's roast chicken method which does everything he can to keep moisture off the bird, and beer can chicken which essentially steams it from the inside out?

Moisture good or bad?

Edited by China

OK, can someone reconcile for me Thomas Keller's roast chicken method which does everything he can to keep moisture off the bird, and beer can chicken which essentially steams it from the inside out?

Moisture good or bad?

Both?

I quit making beer-can chicken, years ago.

I spatch**** the bird, dry-brine with kosher salt, and use whatever rub I'm feeling at the time.

Skin is crispy, and the chicken is moist.

• Like 1