Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I need to figure out the best way to grill wings with crunchy skin.

Wings without a good char are terrible.  I have had my share of slimy wings in my life.

Grilling them slow and low doesn't get that crispy skin.  I guess some folk like skin with no crisp?

Don't bother slow-cooking.  

Indirect, around 325-350, about 7 - 10 minutes per side til they're golden brown.   If they're going to be Buffalo-style, then use a ****-ton of smoke, (which is typicall overwhelming, for most foods, but necessary if you want the smokiness to cut through the spiciness)

Then grill them directly over the fire, flip constantly, until they're dark, (not black), and crispy.  

Not sure what type of grill that you have, but if it's charcoal, don't use the charcoal baskets for the indirect cook.  Just pile all of the charcoal to one side. That's because the fire above the baskets isn't hot enough to get the job done for the direct cook.

Another method, but it's a little more involved, (and not as "healthy"),is to fire up the grill, with just a little charcoal and a low fire, then deep fry the wings and toss them on the grill.   Throw a generous amount of *wood-chips on the coals, shut the lid, and let smoke a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

*I do not soak wood chips

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

This was from twitter, didn't want put the persons info out there.....but I felt a great deal of sadness looking at it....like watching someone not crossing meat and then turning it, but just flipping and mashing it down....my buddy who can't seem to learn anything continues to poke holes in the meat and seasons it,,,,,all the juice gets to run out....I never eat at his house, he wonders why.

Well done steaks are for heathens. 

Like what you like...pfft. 

Today is gonna be a good day...

CjtQGGyWsAAGh7B.jpg
  • Like 1

Corn on the grill is the ticket, but I like shucking it first then butter and paprika and char those bad boys. The blackened kernels aren't as moist but it has a wonderful flavor and if it's nice and hot it chars before it dries out too much.  Then a little more butter and paprika (smoked spanish kind) when it's done.

They are food trucks here that sell "elotes" and that's how they do them.   

There is a latino food truck that grills it this way and I have done it, however there's was so much better. I asked the guy what his secret was....he showed me store bought Badia Sazon Tropical seasoning. If you already cooked the corn it doesn't take long on the grill but you can leave them to their own. 

Update to my earlier post on the Brisket, came out fantastic, albeit two hours longer than I thought, apparently after searing them and then putting them in a stout braising liquid covered, 250d was too low for the 3-4 hours, didn't eat until nine, hahhaaa

Florida's gonna pretty much fall off once the global warming of the grill does its dirty work. Well played steak, well played.

In other cooking news, I've committed a cardinal sin. I forgot to clean my smoker after the last time I used it. I open it up yesterday ready to pop a pork shoulder in for a 6-8 hour smoke and it was moldy and disgusting. It was gonna take the better part of an hour to clean and was already like 11:30, so I reluctantly brought out the crockpot and cooked the pork up that way. Still tasty, don't get me wrong, but no smoke flavor and no delicious bark. :( Damn near ruined my weekend.

• Like 1

I was startled to discover a surprise while browsing the Arundel Mills Mall after the Orioles game. 

In the Books A Million store, they had a bunch of Raichlen books such as How To Grill and Barbecue Bible for 10 dollars. At least 4 or 5 different award winning books, only 10 dollars. 

That's like 50 or 60% off what they usually cost. Unfortunately I don't have a grill so I was unable to purchase any of them, but if they still have these deals this week (might be MEmorial day only) check em out. 

I need to figure out the best way to grill wings with crunchy skin.

Wings without a good char are terrible. I have had my share of slimy wings in my life.

Grilling them slow and low doesn't get that crispy skin. I guess some folk like skin with no crisp?

Try cooking fresh whole wings instead of the frozen split wings if you haven't already. I season them and cook them on the upper rack of my grill, the slower the better. They come out really crispy.

• Like 1

Any of y'all have any experience with using high temp sealants on an offset smoker? Absolutely love my new one. But given that it's not a top of the line model or anything it has a few spots that leak smoke. Mainly where the lid meets the grill, but also a little bit where the firebox connects. I've read that you can get a decent high temp sealant at most hardware stores.

Wondering if any of y'all have done this to maximize heat/smoke? Would this maybe be a better question for the home improvement thread?

I feel like making pancakes, but I don't have any buttermilk. I think I'm going to try some sort of mixture of milk, half & half, and sour cream as a replacement.

If you can't find buttermilk, you have two options:

1. Heavy whipping cream - put in a sealed container such as mason jar. Drop a marble in, and shake it for like 10 minutes vigorously. It will turn into churned butter. Drain off the buttermilk. I actually did this Monday morning.

2. Sour milk - add 1 TBsp lemon juice or white vinegar to milk to make 1 cup total. Stir and let sit 5 minutes. But you have to add more baking soda and lessen the baking powder with this solution. Got it from a Better Homes cookbook.

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 2

You can make buttermilk with some regular milk and lemon juice or white vinegar.

1 Tbsp of vinegar/juice per cup of milk

Let stand for 10-15mins.

I've done it for fried chicken when I ran out of buttermilk.

Whoops, ZGuy beat me to it.

Edited by jpage520

Any of y'all have any experience with using high temp sealants on an offset smoker? Absolutely love my new one. But given that it's not a top of the line model or anything it has a few spots that leak smoke. Mainly where the lid meets the grill, but also a little bit where the firebox connects. I've read that you can get a decent high temp sealant at most hardware stores.

Wondering if any of y'all have done this to maximize heat/smoke? Would this maybe be a better question for the home improvement thread?

Most of 'em leak, I wouldn't sweat it.

If anything, all that means is that you close the vents a little more.

If you can't find buttermilk, you have two options:

1. Heavy whipping cream - put in a sealed container such as mason jar. Drop a marble in, and shake it for like 10 minutes vigorously. It will turn into churned butter. Drain off the buttermilk. I actually did this Monday morning.

You vigorously shook a marble, in a glass jar, and it didn't break?

Dag!

Most of 'em leak, I wouldn't sweat it.

If anything, all that means is that you close the vents a little more.

Yeah, it will be fine. And believe it or not, there is such a thing as too much smoke on a piece of meat. The smoke should complement the flavor, not overpower or damage it.

If you can hold your temps down to 225-250 range you're good.  If you can't get them that low then some sealant might be in order. Remember leaks make the temp go up not down.

Edited by HOF44

Yeah, it will be fine. And believe it or not, there is such a thing as too much smoke on a piece of meat. The smoke should complement the flavor, not overpower or damage it.

Agreed. One of my complaints about my now shattered Kamado was that it was very easy to overdo it. And grilling vegetables and certain other items was very difficult to not end up tasting like smoke. Which for pineapple, mushroom, pepper and onion skewers sucks

Appreciate the advice y'all.

Honestly, I think my biggest problem is that I'm having more issues getting the temp to anything above 250 honestly. Which really isn't much of a bad thing considering the smoking temp for most that I like is no more than that. I'm not so much concerned about losing smoke as I am losing heat. Which I know tends to be a common design flaw in the lower grade offset smokers. Primary example, I did a beer can chicken on the smoker this past weekend. It was honestly one of the best I've ever done. Did an overnight brine, seasoned and injected before putting on the grill, the whole nine. The chicken itself was DELICIOUS. But my issue, is when smoking a whole chicken like that, if you keep your temp at 250 and below, the skin doesn't quite cook right. It tastes great, but it doesn't get that good peel/flake to it. Instead it gets to where you can't even bite through it and chews almost like gum. A few recipes I was reading said that a shorter smoke time at around 300-325 tends to remedy that. But I was having some trouble maintaining that temp. I think next time I'm gonna start a second chimney right after I dump the first one in the firebox and see if that helps me get up to a higher temp that I can manage through the vents.

Amen.

Been there, done that. A little smoke goes a loooooooooong way.

Early on, I ruined a couple of meals, by pouring on the smoke. More isn't better.

I don't even bother when I smoke some foods, and use just a "kiss" of smoke, when grilling fruit.

The chicken itself was DELICIOUS. But my issue, is when smoking a whole chicken like that, if you keep your temp at 250 and below, the skin doesn't quite cook right. It tastes great, but it doesn't get that good peel/flake to it. Instead it gets to where you can't even bite through it and chews almost like gum. A few recipes I was reading said that a shorter smoke time at around 300-325 tends to remedy that. But I was having some trouble maintaining that temp. I think next time I'm gonna start a second chimney right after I dump the first one in the firebox and see if that helps me get up to a higher temp that I can manage through the vents.

You're correct, if you want crispy skin, 250 is way to low. 325-350 is what you're shooting for.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think my biggest problem is that I'm having more issues getting the temp to anything above 250 honestly. Which really isn't much of a bad thing considering the smoking temp for most that I like is no more than that. I'm not so much concerned about losing smoke as I am losing heat. Which I know tends to be a common design flaw in the lower grade offset smokers. Primary example, I did a beer can chicken on the smoker this past weekend. It was honestly one of the best I've ever done. Did an overnight brine, seasoned and injected before putting on the grill, the whole nine. The chicken itself was DELICIOUS. But my issue, is when smoking a whole chicken like that, if you keep your temp at 250 and below, the skin doesn't quite cook right. It tastes great, but it doesn't get that good peel/flake to it. Instead it gets to where you can't even bite through it and chews almost like gum. A few recipes I was reading said that a shorter smoke time at around 300-325 tends to remedy that. But I was having some trouble maintaining that temp. I think next time I'm gonna start a second chimney right after I dump the first one in the firebox and see if that helps me get up to a higher temp that I can manage through the vents.

Yeah, you need to get the temps up to 325-350 when cooking chicken & turkey. Otherwise you'll end up with dried out meat with slick almost uncooked skin. I learned that the hard way on my 1st cook of a whole chicken on my smoker. I kept it at ~250 and had my meat/bbq meat thermometer monitoring the chicken & the smoker. Damn thing took about 3.5-4 hours to cook. When it finally hit temp on the chicken, it was so dried out I had to drown it in bbq sauce to moisten it. Plus the skin was basically inedible. Now 325-350 is the only way I cook whole chickens & turkeys. 

It sounds like you're not getting enough air from underneath on your smoker. Not sure what kind you have so I don't know where you're adjustable vents are. But I'm assuming you have one on the top & bottom. Try opening the bottom one a bit more to get more air flowing through the fire. 

On my smoker, I open the vents to a certain position on the top & bottom every time I use it. Then when the temp hits about 100 degrees less than my target, I dial them back to a different setting (depending on my final desired temp) and wait for it to come up to the end temp. Then I make my final adjustments to hold that temp. I had to play around with it to learn the settings, but now it's easy. The only other factor I consider is the wind. That definitely alters the vent settings. 

• Like 1

Definitely going to keep a closer eye on it. Thankfully since I brined, and injected the chicken, it wasn't dry at all. The meat itself was fantastic. Moist, tender, and flavorful. But the skin wasn't right and really took away from the flavor.